Low Carb High Fat considering Mediterranean Keto

Options
Hello fit gorgeous ones!

I'm recently retaking the rules of very low carb. My first go around was Medifast and I lost 90 pounds before face planting into a two month stop loss, with dizziness and stomach cramps to boot.

For the last month or so after a high Hemoglobin test I've dived back in using whole foods and absolutely no artificial sweeteners. I am so happy that things taste so sweet! Always thought I had a sweet tooth. But now 100% Cocoa with a few raspberries and sliced almonds is heaven. Purrfect.

The question I have for anyone dealing, is the new High Fat component I was advised to add three weeks ago all but stopped my weight loss. I planned by macros carefully and did a few 24 hour fasts, and fat fasts. I peed on Keto sticks and screamed with joy. But now I'm thinking I just have to give it up and go back to about 900 calories. I've a bad impingement and after I workout with strength and 40 minutes of recumbant biking I lay around quite a bit.

What should I expect from the high fat? My body held firm then finally let a whole pound go. Would sticking to the types of oils recommended by the Mediterranean diet along with the higher fish consumption be the way to go?

Anyone had start up stalls on high fat Keto? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on KETO too! I fell off the wagon last week but am starting again tomorrow! I am aiming for the 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% fat ratios. Although the first week I have to slowly drop the carbs from about 15% down to 5% over 7 days because I am Hypoglycemic and my body can't do the cold turkey drop in carbs. I did have a stall for 2 weeks but then the weight started coming off again. I eat a lot of canned and frozen greens because they are quick to prepare and super low in carbs. These are my usual daily foods:
    Breakfast:2 Eggs fried in bacon grease, 2 slices of bacon, 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato with butter
    Lunch: 1- 5 oz can of tuna, 1 Tbs Mayo, mustard, sugar-free sweet relish, 1/2 avocado, .5 oz bbq pork rinds, 1/2 cup of green veggies
    Dinner: 3 oz of meat cooked in bacon grease with onions and peppers (season to taste), 1 cup green veggies, sliced tomato with drizzle of ranch.
    Snacks: (between meals, as dessert and as calories & macros allow) 1 oz of cheese, 3-5 whole walnuts, 10 almonds, deli lunch meat, boiled egg, pickles, 1Tbs PB, Breyers Carb Smart Chocolate Almond Vanilla ice cream bar, Russel Stovers Sugar-Free Pecan Chocolate Caramel Delights, sugar-free jello, sugar-free mints, sugar-free gum.
    List of green veggies I eat frozen, fresh or canned: okra, broccoli, green beans, zucchini, collard greens, spinach, celery, lettuce, edamame, cucumbers, bell peppers, cilantro, Brussels sprouts, snow peas.
    Other low carb veggies: Tomatoes, mushrooms, cauliflower (great rice, mashed potato substitute), spaghetti squash

Drinks: water, lite lemonade or fruit punch, it's 5 cal for each 8 oz serving (I use Kroger brand but Crystal Light is good too!) I drink this because sometimes I have a hard time getting down 64 oz of water daily. I limit diet soda to 1 can a day. And there is always tea...I only drink herbal.

I hope this helps...it's always good to see what other people eat.

Good luck and feel free to message me anytime!

Monique
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    All weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. Take in fewer calories than your body expends and you lose weight.

No one should need to go down to 900 calories to lose weight. The lowest default minimum (in MFP) is 1200 calories before exercise. If you feel the need to go lower than 1200 then double check your logging. Use a digital food scale is most accurate for solids and semi-solids.

Eat high fat if you like to eat that way. Eat low carb if you like to eat that way. Macros (protein, fat, and carbs) are just eating preferences, unless you have medical issues.
  • shutterbugjan
    shutterbugjan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there Fellow Keto-ers! I'm doing the 90 Day Keto challenge, this is day 1. Looking forward to community!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    stalls are normal as weight loss isnt linear and if you havent lost weight on any way of eating(diet) then you arent in a calorie deficit. its that simple. and for some it may take a month to see any loss on the scale but you could lose inches(before the scale registers a loss) so use a tape measure and measure yourself and keep notes. you can also gauge by how your clothes fit. but keto is not a special way to lose weight. you can still overeat doing keto or any way of eating.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that pictures and the tape measure are better ways to go than a scale. I've seen a few people with obvious body changes who did not lose a pound despite going down a size or two.

Give yourself time. Weight loss is not steady. Some weeks you may lose 4 lbs but the next week be up by 2 lbs - still down 2 lbs though. Give it time and look Athens big picture and trends over time.

Maybe consider more calories too. 900 is very very low.