Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    I, too, thank everyone on this thread for the non-judgmental honesty. @JulieAL1969, I did the same as you . . . drank right up to midnight watching Andy and Anderson ring in the New Year. And I do have a headache today. But this is the beginning of an adventure. @crazykatlady, thanks for the encouragement. My trip to Italy mid-March is on my mind, and if mid-February I can start to see the abstinence paying off with weight loss and feeling much better, that will be an awesome preparation for that trip. I'm guzzling decaf iced tea and looking forward to January!
  • Thank goodness I found this thread! I really need a support network, as I want to go the month without alcohol if I can and hopefully forever, as I feel I drink far too much and it’s jeopardising my weight loss, let alone my health. I didn’t drink last night at all, as we were out for the day early this morning and I’m all too aware about alcohol still being in my system and driving. That is the first time in many years that I’ve not had alcohol NYE.
    Not bothered at all tonight as I think I’m just fed up from drinking at the moment. Not sure how long that will last...til tomorrow?I have no idea. I just want to be free from negotiating with myself, when I can drink, or how much.
    I’ve got a book loaded on my Kindle, that I’m yet to read. It’s called ‘This Naked Mind’ and is by Annie Grace, who you’ve mentioned above. I intend on starting that, as
  • ....I’ve heard it’s good. (My dog leant on my arm and posted early for me!!!

Good luck all of you xx
  • september225
    september225 Posts: 3 Member
    I would love to join this group. I started yesterday by cutting back and felt great this morning. Looking for better days ahead.
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    edited January 2018
    "I can't stand to be around drinkers anymore since I quit. They are repetitive and annoying and can be scary, like you said. It's just a dangerous atmosphere. If I go to a party and people start acting intoxicated I leave right away.

I don't want to share the road with drinkers. Please get a driver if you're going to drink. Please."

@cmriverside: Congratulations to you on your sobriety!

Please be aware that everyone here on this board is at different points in that journey. In fact, there are a lot of "drinkers" right on this board, and while complete sobriety might be the goal for some, complete sobriety is not the goal for several people on here. Please be kind.

Thanks. :)

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    "I can't stand to be around drinkers anymore since I quit. They are repetitive and annoying and can be scary, like you said. It's just a dangerous atmosphere. If I go to a party and people start acting intoxicated I leave right away.

I don't want to share the road with drinkers. Please get a driver if you're going to drink. Please."

@cmriverside: Congratulations to you on your sobriety!

Please be aware that everyone here on this board is at different points in that journey. In fact, there are a lot of "drinkers" right on this board, and while complete sobriety might be the goal for some, complete sobriety is not the goal for several people on here. Please be kind.

Thanks. :)

I didn't say anything about other people being sober. Could not care less. Drink up!

Why are you sensitive that I don't want to share the road with drinkers? Or that I leave a party when people get intoxicated? Seems pretty normal...in my world at least.

I know enough people whose lives were irrevocably changed by a DUI or an accident while under the influence, and I think it needs to be said. It doesn't take much to get a DUI, and that will follow you for life - affecting insurance rates, credit, and job prospects. Not to mention clogging up the judicial system and costing tens of thousands of dollars. I think many people don't know the actual cost, both financial and to their reputations.

This thread is on a public forum. It's my right to post, just as it is yours.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    ...and I was responding to this:
    Two thoughts: The other night , I went to Hofbrau Haus and decided not to drink any alcohol. I was amazed at how many shots and beer were consumed all around me. As the evening wore on, people were dancing on the tables and having fun. A fight broke out and tempers flared at one table. And I thought that I was happy not to be drinking today, and how alcohol can make people behave in ways they normally wouldn't. Both good and bad.
    Second thought: Yesterday, I had a lot of wine starting at lunch and all the way til midnight. Today, of course, I have a hangover. Regretting it totally. BUT during the night , i woke up from my sleep and said to myself "I'm FREE.". I think I was thinking that today's a new day, the challenge for one month sober for me. I felt relieved to be honest with you. I am hoping this won't be difficult. I really want to be free from alcohol.
    Happy New Year to all!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    ...and I was responding to this:
    Two thoughts: The other night , I went to Hofbrau Haus and decided not to drink any alcohol. I was amazed at how many shots and beer were consumed all around me. As the evening wore on, people were dancing on the tables and having fun. A fight broke out and tempers flared at one table. And I thought that I was happy not to be drinking today, and how alcohol can make people behave in ways they normally wouldn't. Both good and bad.
    Second thought: Yesterday, I had a lot of wine starting at lunch and all the way til midnight. Today, of course, I have a hangover. Regretting it totally. BUT during the night , i woke up from my sleep and said to myself "I'm FREE.". I think I was thinking that today's a new day, the challenge for one month sober for me. I felt relieved to be honest with you. I am hoping this won't be difficult. I really want to be free from alcohol.
    Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Always welcome.
    At the Hofbrau Haus there was a mother and a few young children sitting there. I heard her say "Hey stop that fight, there's young children here." My first thought was why did she bring young children to a drinking fest on a Saturday night. That was ironic, I thought. That's another reason I need to cut back. My neighbors and close friends do every thing around drinking. Dinner and drinks. Appetizers, cards and drinks. Always. I feel awful that my kids have seen that growing up. Hindsight is 20/20. I hope they do better than me when they are of drinking age. I sometimes wish I never started drinking. But then on the other hand, personal growth from adversity is a powerful force of change and good. Hope everyone was able to rest today.
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member

> I didn't say anything about other people being sober. Could not care less. Drink up!

Actually, it really seems like you do.

Yes, it is your right to post here. All I asked is that you be kind.

• ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Count me in too please!
    My goal is to only drink on special occasions but to otherwise be alcohol free.
    It's so easy to get into the habit of drinking every day.
    I was doing well before Christmas, but gave myself the holidays off! I'm ready to get back on it now.
    Today was day 1 of being alcohol free :)
    Good luck with your goals everyone!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    jwoll81 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this book title. I plan on buying it. I read the first 40 pages which were free to download. I also like the author's videos on youtube.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I'm in. My goal is to cut back 1 beer a night. My feet swell a lot more based on how much I drink. Not the only reason they swell, but...
  • kimberlybruzzese
    kimberlybruzzese Posts: 10 Member
    I am in also! I have been very bad for the past two months and I feel awful. Looking forward to a refresh. I have two occasions in the next two months that I am going to drink alchohol but other than that I am going to try to abstain completely Jan - Mar (starting tomorrow).
  • kimberlybruzzese
    kimberlybruzzese Posts: 10 Member
    @JulieAL1969 I think we might be clones! Thank you for starting this thread. It is the first one I have ever joined.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Today has been a great start to January and the new year! I hope it has been the same for everyone else, too!