Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Dawna954 beer and I have the same relationship
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    I'm in! Definitely need a little dry out. I like the no drinks Sun-Thursday idea and not overdoing Fri and Sat. I began a weekly yoga workshop on Wednesdays which I think will get me over the hump and help to refocus my energies.
  • KombuchaKat
    I sometimes listen to youtube videos by alcoholmastery.com. The man has been sober for three years. He is real and honest. And I really get motivated by his videos.
    I did well last night. Two small cocktails and a glass of wine during a dinner out. BUT even with that minor amount (for me), I didnt sleep well at all. I know there is direct link for poor sleep quality and alcohol. Drink a few and then I am tossing and turning all night long.

I read his book and get his weekly emails. He has a good perspective that looks at alcohol differently and helps you to feel empowered by not drinking.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Sign me up! DH went dayshift a year ago and it has become to easy to enjoy nice dinners and cocktails too much. Along with some other health issues, I am heavier than I have ever been. Time to clean up my act. Goal is just to be healthier in the spring, and more energetic.
  • Tayykisses
    Tayykisses Posts: 265 Member
    happy to see this thread, my goals were also for a dry month! I don't drink on the daily, but atleast one night out of every week I am black out drunk and i just need to cut that down considerably.
  • KombuchaKat
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I drank more than I wanted to on New Year's eve...fail : ( I did at least keep my promise to myself to get up in the morning and meet my running group for a "kick off the year right" run and then breakfast. It was no easy task since it was -1F outside, but I managed and it definitely put me in a positive mind set for January. No alcohol yesterday, which wasn't too tough because my husband wasn't drinking either.

I do have a bit of a confession to make. The thought of a dry life kind of scares me. Like so many of you have expressed, my life in many ways seems to revolve around alcohol. I know that is sad, but it's the reality of it. Does anyone else feel frightened about the changes they will need to make in order to stay alcohol free. I have to admit that this is the number one reason that I keep saying I need to cut back but not give it up entirely.

You are definitely not alone. I have thought of giving up alcohol completely many times but I always come back to trying to moderate. I live in a big city and everything includes alcohol, dinner with friends, work functions, on and on. I know I'm not a good moderator, really of anything in my life, but I can't seem to let go of booze.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    I am in. I drank one beer NYE. I was sick so not such a victory. I need to cut back. I am only going to drink in social situations and then in moderation. It has gotten too easy to have a glass of wine as work is too stressful, kids etc.
  • elizabethjdunbar
    elizabethjdunbar Posts: 1 Member
    Ok, I'm in! I've never joined one of these things before, so we'll see how it goes. I do LOVE my wine at the end of the day. If I could just scale it back to one a day, or just on a Friday and Saturday, that would be best. Maybe one a day to start...then scale back from there.
  • nazymbrown
    nazymbrown Posts: 4 Member
    mkdm291 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for starting this thread! My goal is to go a solid three weeks with no alcohol, but hoping that will be extended.
    I want to lose 20 pounds, but more than that, I need to be healthy for my young kids. For far too long, I have been using wine as my comfort. Bad day? have some wine! Good day? have some wine! This Is Us is on... have some wine :D
    I want better sleep and more fitness. I love reading the comments because I know I am not alone in this.
    Good luck to all!

I wasn't sure if this was my post, or something else.

my life, to a T
  • machchic wrote: »
    I am in also, I am planning for a dry January, today was successful but I had to keep myself busy tonight (5-8pm is my weakest link). Plus I find a nice Detox tea called Pukka is really good before going to bed. Day 1 down plus I am under my calories so maybe I will start losing weight again.

As the book ‘This Naked Mind’ keeps getting recommended, which I have and not read, I also have some of this tea, which I’m yet to try...time to start both then!

I could easily have caved in and bought some wine earlier, but weighed up the pros and cons. Day 2 down then...tomorrow, we will see...

Best of luck to everyone else, in whatever you’ve chosen to achieve.
  • krissie8882017
    krissie8882017 Posts: 33 Member
    Oh yes please can I join this challenge? I sleep terrible and I'm piling on the weight
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Day one down for me. Avoided any temptation with an early night. My aim is to cut back, but not abstain totally. I am building it into my calories, but really aiming for just a couple of drinks on Friday & Saturday.
  • hutchija14
    hutchija14 Posts: 2 Member
    Day 1 dry here too. My danger hours of 6 to 8 pm were not too hard. I didn't sleep well though due to partners snoring.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    jwoll81 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this book title. I plan on buying it. I read the first 40 pages which were free to download. I also like the author's videos on youtube.

I am very interested in this book...Can you tell me about your experiences after reading it?
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    I woke up around 3 am and then took a nap at 6:30am...I felt yukky when I got up and through the day....didn't feel like doing my 30 day Shred....which I have done 29 days...my ribs hurt from my husband trying to crack my back....so...tempted and ended up drinking my wine spritzers....I feel better now...I have an attitude adjustment...Tomorrow is another day...back on my schedule...