Anyone have an insta-pot? Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Any idea why they say,
    "If you instant release it, it makes the meat quite tough."
    The only thing I can think of is that, if you are following a recipe that calls for natural release, the writer has factored the additional cooking taking place during depressurization into the recipe. I may be missing something though.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I love mine. But I also batch cook and hate spending any time on cooking (it would be less useful for the gourmet cook). I can toss the entire 40 oz package of frozen chicken, large pork loin, etc in there and have it be done in like 30-40 minutes, and ready to be divvied up into baggies or made into BBQ pulled pork, etc. Soup/stew/chili is quick. If using 1 lb or less of beef, it can be seared right in the pot (I find I need the larger surface area of the stove pans if 2 lb of beef).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Any idea why they say,
    The only thing I can think of is that, if you are following a recipe that calls for natural release, the writer has factored the additional cooking taking place during depressurization into the recipe. I may be missing something though.

That was always my guess too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Any idea why they say,

I assume it's like cutting immediately into a steak when you take it off the grill - all the juices run right out, and that's why you're supposed to let meat rest. With the NPR on an Instant Pot, it allows the juices to distribute and the pressure to release normally, not have some of it sucked right out of the meat as it is quick released.

• ritzvin
    Options
    .. and I can easily add dried beans, lentils into my soups and chili with no added effort.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Any idea why they say,

I assume it's like cutting immediately into a steak when you take it off the grill - all the juices run right out, and that's why you're supposed to let meat rest. With the NPR on an Instant Pot, it allows the juices to distribute and the pressure to release normally, not have some of it sucked right out of the meat as it is quick released.

Yeah, that's what I read. Natural release keeps the juices in the meat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I made pulled pork on Sunday and I guess it's one of those things where slow cooker is better... It wasn't quite shredding properly, so I had to close it and put it on pressure again for another 5 minutes (plus natural release again).. while on the slow cooker I would just have had to lift the lid to check it.

It's good, but yeah, with meat it's hard to know if it's actually cooked.

When making any kind of "to be shredded" meat in the IP, always set it for more than you think it will need. You cant overcook meat, when you will be shredding it anyways. Also helps to always NR pressure.

I prefer IP over my slow cooker for pulled pork.

Can't really beat 'ready in 90 minutes' lol.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I got an IP for Christmas and I love it! I’be never had luck preparing dried black beans to cook up tender until the IP. That was my test run and they were perfectly cooked and delicious (garlic, thyme & bay leaves in the water) in about 30 minutes. No soaking! Since then, I also made delicious bbq ribs & chicken thighs, which were frozen, and were fall-off-the-bone tender after cooking in the IP. Steel cut oats with golden raisins came out great. I recommend Melissa Clark’s Dinner in an Instant cookbook. I made her Farro pilaf with cauliflower & raisins twice, already.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Oh yes, and Hoppin John for New Year’s. Made with ham hocks-yum! I use my IP more than my stove!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Any idea why they say,

Correct. It's not the release method that makes anything tough, it's that the cook time is just longer with NPR.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I got an IP for Christmas and I love it! I’be never had luck preparing dried black beans to cook up tender until the IP. That was my test run and they were perfectly cooked and delicious (garlic, thyme & bay leaves in the water) in about 30 minutes. No soaking! Since then, I also made delicious bbq ribs & chicken thighs, which were frozen, and were fall-off-the-bone tender after cooking in the IP. Steel cut oats with golden raisins came out great. I recommend Melissa Clark’s Dinner in an Instant cookbook. I made her Farro pilaf with cauliflower & raisins twice, already.

Man I need to try ribs.

For beans, I thought one of the reasons to presoak them was to avoid the, um, consequences that you can sometimes get in your intestine from eating beans, so that's why I'm not sure that cooking them in the IP would help with that.
  • toxikon
    Options
    Any idea why they say,

Correct. It's not the release method that makes anything tough, it's that the cook time is just longer with NPR.

It seems like there's quite a few websites that claim that IR does effect the quality of the meat, though.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/meat-openings-pcs/
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Sumiblue wrote: »

Man I need to try ribs.

For beans, I thought one of the reasons to presoak them was to avoid the, um, consequences that you can sometimes get in your intestine from eating beans, so that's why I'm not sure that cooking them in the IP would help with that.

You rinse the cooking liquid after cooking the beans and I think that takes care of the “musical fruit” quality to them. I’ve made beans twice so far and it must work. No ill effects so far.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I got one this past summer. I didn't use it much at first but I've been trying to intentionally plan more recipes that use it. I love it for last minute meals using frozen chicken (I cook and shred and add BBQ sauce). I made some great soups and stews in it, and several rice-based dishes that turned out really yummy. Oh! And a really delicious homemade applesauce. The problem really is that you can't ever really be sure how long a recipe is going to take because you don't know how long coming to pressure and releasing pressure will take. I don't love that part. But, overall, I've been happy with it.
  • toxikon
    Options
    dw920 wrote: »
    I got one this past summer. I didn't use it much at first but I've been trying to intentionally plan more recipes that use it. I love it for last minute meals using frozen chicken (I cook and shred and add BBQ sauce). I made some great soups and stews in it, and several rice-based dishes that turned out really yummy. Oh! And a really delicious homemade applesauce. The problem really is that you can't ever really be sure how long a recipe is going to take because you don't know how long coming to pressure and releasing pressure will take. I don't love that part. But, overall, I've been happy with it.

I bought a nice little Instant Pot cookbook (and she uses the exact model I have for all her recipes, DUO 6qt) and she has cooking time tables in the back. So she tells you how long to cook different cuts of meat (and the weight of the cut too). I think it'll be a handy resource as I play with my IP more. :)
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My Instant Pot is getting a workout today prepping for New Years Day Chili Buffet. First up Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili

Made salsa verde chicken in IP first:
    6 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 jar salsa verde

Cooked on high pressure 12 min, then NPR, removed chicken and shredded it with forks. Half into freezer for other meals.

White Chicken Chili:
    Into the same pot that still had the cooking liquid, add half a can of great northern beans, purée with immersion blender to thicken.

Then add the other half can great northern beans along with another full can (both drained and rinsed)
    1 quart chicken broth
    1 cup of frozen corn
    1 cup frozen diced onion
    1 can of diced green chiles
    Juice of 1 lime
    Cilantro (I used cilantro paste)
    Assorted spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper)
    Shredded salsa verde chicken

Seal and cook on soup setting, then QR.

This will go in a crockpot for tomorrow.

Next up - ground venison and bean red chili!

The Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili sounds awesome....I'm putting that on my "to make" list.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    After one day's use, the thing has earned a place in my kitchen, but it won't replace anything. I made one-pot beans and greens last night.

man, that sounds good. also, buy the second lid. when it's glass? sooner or later that sucker is going to break.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Plus you will have to finish them under the broiler with your sauce.

i'm lazy. or i have low standards or something: i just open the valve and let the water evaporate.

• wonder_whitters
    wonder_whitters Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got my mom one for Christmas! She made ribs in it the other night and they were great! She also made a corn and ham risotto which was incredible. I think I may need to get one for myself!