Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you take calcium and vitamin D to protect your bones?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    sos2lily wrote: »
    I take vitamin D. That gets the calcium from digestive system into the blood. However, I've learned that one must also take Vitamin K2 to ensure it gets from the blood to the bones. If not, one can get calcification such as in bone spurs, in arteries, etc.

K1 is for thinning the blood. Some supplements come together D3 and K2.

I think it's more accurate to say there is a theory that K2 plays that role, but it hasn't yet been established. In any case, it isn't necessary to *take* K2 in order for it to work in this way, it's also possible to get it from dietary sources.

Also, some of the links posted here suggest that happy beneficial gut bugs will cheerfully manufacture K2 for us, if we treat them nicely, too. Another plus for plenty of fermented and fiber-rich foods!

Somehow, human ancestors in traditionally vegan/vegetarian cultures do seem to have lived about as healthily and long as those in meat-centric cultures, all of them entirely without supplements.

Sometimes I read posts from supplement hyper-enthusiasts and wonder how our supplement-deprived ancestors even lived to breed countless generations of us. (I can already hear the "factory farming/GMOs have wiped out foods' nutrition, so we must supplement" argument coming.)

P.S. I'm not saying or intending to imply that the specific person to whom you're responding is a supplements fanatic. I guess I'm just being a grumpy curmudgeon today. ;) . Sorry. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    sos2lily wrote: »
    I take vitamin D. That gets the calcium from digestive system into the blood. However, I've learned that one must also take Vitamin K2 to ensure it gets from the blood to the bones. If not, one can get calcification such as in bone spurs, in arteries, etc.

K1 is for thinning the blood. Some supplements come together D3 and K2.

I think it's more accurate to say there is a theory that K2 plays that role, but it hasn't yet been established. In any case, it isn't necessary to *take* K2 in order for it to work in this way, it's also possible to get it from dietary sources.

Also, some of the links posted here suggest that happy beneficial gut bugs will cheerfully manufacture K2 for us, if we treat them nicely, too. Another plus for plenty of fermented and fiber-rich foods!

Somehow, human ancestors in traditionally vegan/vegetarian cultures do seem to have lived about as healthily and long as those in meat-centric cultures, all of them entirely without supplements.

Sometimes I read posts from supplement hyper-enthusiasts and wonder how our supplement-deprived ancestors even lived to breed countless generations of us. (I can already hear the "factory farming/GMOs have wiped out foods' nutrition, so we must supplement" argument coming.)

P.S. I'm not saying or intending to imply that the specific person to whom you're responding is a supplements fanatic. I guess I'm just being a grumpy curmudgeon today. ;) . Sorry. :)

Yes, there is much we still don't know. As a vegan, I'm currently in the "my body is making K2 for me" camp although I am continuing to follow developments in research.

(I'm not anti-supplement and I do supplement a few things -- I just don't want to get into a cycle of over-supplementation or stressing myself out worrying about what I might be missing out on. We need to keep on top of scientific research, we need to be realistic, but we can also combine that with an understanding of the remarkable resilience of our bodies and how humans demonstrably thrive on a wide variety of diets).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    My crystal ball is strong today, it seems. ;)
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I take quite a few vitamin supplements but they are based on blood work that shows what I am deficient in. Due to massive weight loss I have to stay on top of it. I would think they help if your deficient if your holding your own wouldn't your body be on it's natural path? I have no idea just curious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My crystal ball is strong today, it seems. ;)

I was impressed! Hope you are writing down your predictions for 2018.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I know this seems like an odd source for a great resource on Vitamin K2, but this guy put together a ton of information and charts on K2 and it's sources. I take a great interest in this topic because I'm mostly Vegan and don't eat a lot of animal products.

https://honey-guide.com/2014/03/10/menaquinones-k2-and-phylloquinone-k1-content-of-animal-products-and-fermented-foods/

It's probably the most complete article I've read on specific amounts of K2 from food sources.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I take a Calcium & Vitamin D tablet twice per day, prescribed by my doctor and buy multi vitamin tablets, I take one per day of these.
    I am old but healthy apart from arthritic joints.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I take D, because I'm deficient, I don't take calcium, as I produce too much of it, I had to have 1 of my Parathyroid's removed because of it.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen what dosages they were using. The old recommendation was only ~400-600 IU. There is a lot of push to significantly raise that number. Specifically, A Statistical Error in the Estimation of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for Vitamin D.
    It also estimated that 8895 IU of vitamin D per day may be needed to accomplish that 97.5% of individuals achieve serum 25(OH)D values of 50 nmol/L or more.
    The public health and clinical implications of the miscalculated RDA for vitamin D are serious. With the current recommendation of 600 IU, bone health objectives and disease and injury prevention targets will not be met.

Of course taking only 1/20th of what is necessary isn't going to do crap.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I take both on the advice of my doctor. But I rely more on balanced diet and resistance exercises to protect my bones.