Its day 3 of detox

Options
124»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    DocJayDee wrote: »
    Actually I think the plan I'm doing isnt that different from going plant based, vegetarian or vegan-I eat as much fruits, veggies, beans, tofu, lentils, etc, as I want. Also oatmeal, brown rice, greek yogurt & egg whites are allowed during detox as well. I'm really just on here looking for good vegetarian meal ideas that don't take forever to make.

I have also worked with a registered dietician ( my insurance covered 6 free visits and everyone should try it sometime) and I have a plan to balance carbs & protein intake after the 90 days are up that I have been successful with in the past.

Before anyone says "it obviously didn't work if the weight came back" the plan worked fine, I lost a bunch of weight, got a boyfriend who didn't want to count carbs, hated brown rice and gave me the guilt trip every time I would skip cuddle time to hit the gym on Saturday mornings. Before I knew it I was making his favorite pasta & cheese dishes, skipping the gym and netflix & chilling with a large pizza and wings.

Siggi's Icelandic yogurt. It's like eating a protein supplement, but rich and creamy and delicious.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, one of those fake diets that makes you lose a bunch of water weight to fool you into thinking it's a solution, but never is sustainable for really anyone. Ever noticed all fad diets start with you cutting something out at first? Usually some sort of carb?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    orionaimee wrote: »
    Wow, a lot of bossy negative people on here. You will need to walk your own walk on this weight loss journey and find what works for you. Sometimes people just feel like junk after the holidays and want to flush their system out. If this works for you then great, if not then MFP is full of people who will support you on a different path. Happy New Year!

What you "feel like" doesn't mean that there's actually any science or reason behind it. Or that it's even a good idea.

Anorexics "feel like" they're always fat (OK, so at least those with BDD) and can't eat at a reasonable deficit because they need to lose weight. Even if they're underweight. Substance abuse people "feel like" they always need that high. Alcoholics "feel like" they need just that one more drink to get through the day.

Does that mean they should do it?

What do you think is unhealthy about the diet. Other than vocabulary.

Not the poster you referenced, but my first thought is that most of these temporary fad diets aren't unhealthy physically. Even the stupid master cleanse isn't going to do lasting physical damage. The problem is that they are all temporary (and often very restrictive), and I think it's an easy argument to build that yo-yo dieting is a notable contributor to the obesity crisis. People do temporary fad diets, lose a bunch of weight fast, don't learn anything, gain a bunch of weight back, over and over and eventually stop trying.

I agree that ultimately, OP isn't going to physically hurt herself doing this 90 day diet, but she will possibly be burying herself further in the restrict/give up cycle that keeps so many people overweight and feeling like failures. It looks like she's going to have to learn that the hard way though!

It doesn't sound at all like that to me and according to their website while the program is 90 days it is meant to teach lifelong changes. It's sounds very much like a lot of other diet programs. Just given a new name and book.

https://www.diet.com/g/fat-smash-diet

Here is a review of the diet from WebMD
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/fat-smash-diet
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you are enjoying it, that's great and all, but you don't "detox" from dairy, meat, or bread.

I think going without meat or dairy for a period of time can be useful if you think you overconsume those foods (I regularly give up meat or animal products in general (food only) for periods of time, mostly for religious reasons (like Lent), but I think it can be helpful in understanding that you don't need to rely on them and broadening your choices. Ideally you will understand how to get protein without them).

For bread, sure, whatever. Seems kind of a random thing to pick, but maybe if you tend to rely on it a lot.

I choose to eat very little bread because frankly I think it's not delicious enough to justify the calories. Unless it's something yummy from Panera or some kind of home made delicacy, I usually pass. LOL

I hear that. I've cut wayyyy back on bakery treats. For two reasons. 1) I decided to restrict my desserts to 200 calories per serving maximum (exceptions possible for rare special occasions). 2) My favorite bakery sends some of its product to a coffee shop I sometimes frequent. Law here is that if a restaurant has over a certain number of locations they must list the calories for every item. So, although this bakery doesn't list them in general, they do put it on the packaging for the stuff they send out to the coffee shop. And, when I see figures like, 600 calories to a cherry turnover, 810 for a 6" chocolate-chocolate chip cookie, 610 for half a jam pastry... I have a really hard time justifying. A donut is anywhere from 220-280 and I find that half of one will satisfy me. But 1/3 of a turnover isn't going to do more than make me want the rest of it. So, yeah. I tend to pass up a lot of desserts these days, unless I have a decent idea in advance of how big a chunk of my daily allotment it's going to consume. I'd just rather not be unpleasantly surprised when the time comes to log it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Wow, a lot of bossy negative people on here. You will need to walk your own walk on this weight loss journey and find what works for you. Sometimes people just feel like junk after the holidays and want to flush their system out. If this works for you then great, if not then MFP is full of people who will support you on a different path. Happy New Year!

What you "feel like" doesn't mean that there's actually any science or reason behind it. Or that it's even a good idea.

Anorexics "feel like" they're always fat (OK, so at least those with BDD) and can't eat at a reasonable deficit because they need to lose weight. Even if they're underweight. Substance abuse people "feel like" they always need that high. Alcoholics "feel like" they need just that one more drink to get through the day.

Not the poster you referenced, but my first thought is that most of these temporary fad diets aren't unhealthy physically. Even the stupid master cleanse isn't going to do lasting physical damage. The problem is that they are all temporary (and often very restrictive), and I think it's an easy argument to build that yo-yo dieting is a notable contributor to the obesity crisis. People do temporary fad diets, lose a bunch of weight fast, don't learn anything, gain a bunch of weight back, over and over and eventually stop trying.

I agree that ultimately, OP isn't going to physically hurt herself doing this 90 day diet, but she will possibly be burying herself further in the restrict/give up cycle that keeps so many people overweight and feeling like failures. It looks like she's going to have to learn that the hard way though!

It doesn't sound at all like that to me and according to their website while the program is 90 days it is meant to teach lifelong changes. It's sounds very much like a lot of other diet programs. Just given a new name and book.

I agree that the actual food you would be eating is a perfectly fine way to eat if you want. And yes, it sounds like a lot of other diet programs, that promote the idea that you need a "diet" to lose weight. But it has a giant list of "rules" for each phase of the diet, and includes this quote for the first phase "The diet is designed to rid the body of toxins from processed foods and the environment, including the elimination of caffeine and alcohol, to make it easier to lose weight." In my opinion, it promotes the idea that you need to follow lots of rules and specifics to lose weight, and that "processed" foods cause "toxins" to build up in your body which makes it harder to lose weight. I think that is counter-productive and makes people feel like failures when they end up breaking one of the rules, and I know that's the way I used to think. Just my opinion.

It does spout a lot of popular diet buzzwords and may indirectly promote ideas that are not true and could possibly be counter-productive to some people. But that's different than the diet being unhealthy or overly-restrictive. And it certainly doesn't mean it won't work. Some people like structure and rules in dieting. Not everyone is good at simple portion control.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I agree that the actual food you would be eating is a perfectly fine way to eat if you want. And yes, it sounds like a lot of other diet programs, that promote the idea that you need a "diet" to lose weight. But it has a giant list of "rules" for each phase of the diet, and includes this quote for the first phase "The diet is designed to rid the body of toxins from processed foods and the environment, including the elimination of caffeine and alcohol, to make it easier to lose weight." In my opinion, it promotes the idea that you need to follow lots of rules and specifics to lose weight, and that "processed" foods cause "toxins" to build up in your body which makes it harder to lose weight. I think that is counter-productive and makes people feel like failures when they end up breaking one of the rules, and I know that's the way I used to think. Just my opinion.

It does spout a lot of popular diet buzzwords and may indirectly promote ideas that are not true and could possibly be counter-productive to some people. But that's different than the diet being unhealthy or overly-restrictive. And it certainly doesn't mean it won't work. Some people like structure and rules in dieting. Not everyone is good at simple portion control.

Knowing the facts comes first. If one chooses to be restrictive, than at least they go into it with knowledge and foresight. No one is advocating 1 specific way of eating. Rather, providing information the OP doesn’t already have or understand.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    DmaMfz wrote: »

Knowing the facts comes first. If one chooses to be restrictive, than at least they go into it with knowledge and foresight. No one is advocating 1 specific way of eating. Rather, providing information the OP doesn’t already have or understand.

OIC Knowledge is a good thing. It seemed to me that most who responded were too caught up on the word "detox" to even bother learning anything further about the diet or give any actual advice about it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I gained a bunch of weight and i needed something drastic to jumpstart my 40lb loss so Im doing the fat smash diet, which consists of 9 days of detox. No bread, dairy or meat. Its day 3, I woke up starving but I feel ok. Let's do this!

Major changes like that takes some time to adjust to typically.

I cut out added sugar and all forms of all grains over three years ago and kept carbs down to around 50 grams daily. While I still eat this way the crazy cravings that could lead to binges left after the first 15-30 days. Now I just eat until I am stuffed but as long as the daily carbs stay at 50 grams or less my weight continues to slowly drop.

Better health is my only stated goal. Taking weight loss goal off of table was key I think being 63 at the time and about to become home bound unless aided. There are many ways to eat so take the time to find the way that works best for you at this point in your life. The best way for one to eat often changes over time. Best of success.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Actually I think the plan I'm doing isnt that different from going plant based, vegetarian or vegan-I eat as much fruits, veggies, beans, tofu, lentils, etc, as I want. Also oatmeal, brown rice, greek yogurt & egg whites are allowed during detox as well. I'm really just on here looking for good vegetarian meal ideas that don't take forever to make.

I have also worked with a registered dietician ( my insurance covered 6 free visits and everyone should try it sometime) and I have a plan to balance carbs & protein intake after the 90 days are up that I have been successful with in the past.

Before anyone says "it obviously didn't work if the weight came back" the plan worked fine, I lost a bunch of weight, got a boyfriend who didn't want to count carbs, hated brown rice and gave me the guilt trip every time I would skip cuddle time to hit the gym on Saturday mornings. Before I knew it I was making his favorite pasta & cheese dishes, skipping the gym and netflix & chilling with a large pizza and wings.

Lol, I can totally relate to New Relationship Weight Gain :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Obviously I know a balanced diet is key- but if it were that easy there would be no overweight people. Ever. The last time I told an alcoholic to just stop drinking, they laughed. Just saying.
    It's simple. People are overweight for ONE reason. They consume more calories than they burn. Even if we're talking people with health issues. If one just consumes less than they burn, weight loss happens.
    In many industrialized countries, people PAY NO ATTENTION to how many calories they consume or burn, hence many gain weight gradually till a few years later, they realize that they have a weight issue.
    Will it take EFFORT to change habitual behavior? Yes. But that effort is personal and some really commit while others just take a stab at it. Unfortunately, especially for resolutioners, it's mostly just the stab at it. If you're committed to the process, you will succeed. That's what commitment is for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    To the OP, good luck! Also, I think a detox every now and then is good. Doing a detox helps to reduce cravings, bloating and makes you feel better. I am also surprised that when someone says "no bread dairy or meat" that they would get so many negative comments. Especially, since bread is pretty much bad for you. It's high in carbs, sugar, not nutritional. Even if you choose wheat bread, it's likely made with Monsanto seeds. Also dairy (especially milk) has been shown to have so many hormones and according to many studies should not even be consumed. Heck many people are lactose intolerant and get sick from it anyway. Finally meat is so over eaten and the WHO has classified most meat as a carcinogen.

So tell me again why taking a break or "detox" away from these items and instead replacing them with veggies, fruits and lean proteins is bad? It's still reducing the total number of calories. Also, why so many negative responses. You all are acting like you are personally hurt because she chose to do a detox.
    Bad for you? In what way? Water is non nutritional....................must be bad then?
    The issue here is that many people listen to the wrong sources or misconstrue the actual statements made. Meat a carcinogen? Lol, where are all the dead bodies from it then? Hell there should be hella dead eskimos out there from consuming "carcinogenic" meat.
    Whether you want to believe it or not, "detoxing" from food doesn't exist. It was a SALES PLOY by the diet industry to increase revenue. Read what the actual definition of what a toxin is. Now if one really had a toxin in the body, you think abstaining from bread and sugar is going to rid you from it? Or is it more likely that one should go to a poison center?
    If the OP does it anyway, that's their preference, however on a open forum there are a lot of "lurkers" and it's the RESPONSIBLE to do to dissuade them from uptaking a regimen that has NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that it even exists.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png