Its day 3 of detox

Options

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    DocJayDee wrote: »
    Obviously I know a balanced diet is key- but if it were that easy there would be no overweight people. Ever. The last time I told an alcoholic to just stop drinking, they laughed. Just saying.

Correct.

And if ACV melted fat there would be a shortage, and if you could find some it'd be 50 dollars a jug.

ETA: using ACV as an example, it's just as much woo as detoxing...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are enjoying it, that's great and all, but you don't "detox" from dairy, meat, or bread.

I think going without meat or dairy for a period of time can be useful if you think you overconsume those foods (I regularly give up meat or animal products in general (food only) for periods of time, mostly for religious reasons (like Lent), but I think it can be helpful in understanding that you don't need to rely on them and broadening your choices. Ideally you will understand how to get protein without them).

For bread, sure, whatever. Seems kind of a random thing to pick, but maybe if you tend to rely on it a lot.
  • missmysty
    missmysty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lol no troll just doing new things. What I think is interesting is how people can give advice or suggestions and ridicule without knowing the person or situation. Obviously I know a balanced diet is key- but if it were that easy there would be no overweight people. Ever. The last time I told an alcoholic to just stop drinking, they laughed. Just saying.

It's not that obvious because you're doing this weird detox thing. If you know a balanced diet is key then why aren't you doing that instead?

I've found most people who do detoxes are impatient. They may know they have to start eating right, but they see "Lose forty pounds in a month!" and want that instead, not realizing that 90% of that is going to be water weight that they can easily gain back.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why do people do this to themselves? Ok, then what happens after 90 days. You are cured and just know how to eat to maintain or lose?

Yeah, I think this is the dream, and agree with you that it's not realistic.

People think they can do something dramatic for a short period of time and then never have to worry about it again, they will just magically not want to overeat ever.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you are enjoying it, that's great and all, but you don't "detox" from dairy, meat, or bread.

I think going without meat or dairy for a period of time can be useful if you think you overconsume those foods (I regularly give up meat or animal products in general (food only) for periods of time, mostly for religious reasons (like Lent), but I think it can be helpful in understanding that you don't need to rely on them and broadening your choices. Ideally you will understand how to get protein without them).

For bread, sure, whatever. Seems kind of a random thing to pick, but maybe if you tend to rely on it a lot.

I choose to eat very little bread because frankly I think it's not delicious enough to justify the calories. Unless it's something yummy from Panera or some kind of home made delicacy, I usually pass. LOL
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I choose to eat very little bread because frankly I think it's not delicious enough to justify the calories. Unless it's something yummy from Panera or some kind of home made delicacy, I usually pass. LOL

That makes perfect sense. I have foods like that as well.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I'm exactly the same. If someone makes bread (or if I do -- I haven't for ages but keep thinking it might be fun, oh dear), I'll want it, and naan I make room for if I go out for Indian, and there's one sandwich place locally that does a delicious sandwich on bread I like that I have every couple of months, but beyond that it's rarely worth the calories for me (so I often go weeks without bread).

I eat pasta much more, though, and it is pretty much identical to bread (nutritionally, in terms of what one would "detox" from, I guess). ;-) I also eat oats and some other grains more often.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Lol no troll just doing new things. What I think is interesting is how people can give advice or suggestions and ridicule without knowing the person or situation. Obviously I know a balanced diet is key- but if it were that easy there would be no overweight people. Ever. The last time I told an alcoholic to just stop drinking, they laughed. Just saying.

Have you ever thought of the possibility that there are so many overweight people because they think it's harder than it actually is? For example cutting out multiple food groups as a "radical" "jumpstart"...

Now that's just crazy talk...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What's the plan for day 10? Cutting out bread, dairy and meat will likely just make you lose some water weight, the second you re-introduce them you'll retain water again.

You don't need something drastic or to jump start your weight loss, you just need a calorie deficit.

Make small sustainable changes instead and you'll find that those over time will add up and you'll be able to lose the weight in a way that makes it more likely to stay off.

Plan for day 10 is phase 2, which starts to introduce meat back into the diet. Its a 90 day plan.

But then what is the point in cutting it out days 1-9? 9 days of cutting out a food is going to achieve absolutely nothing (except maybe a massive craving for a steak and disappointment at scale weight gain on day 10) and again it's a 90 day plan, what do you do after that?

Why not just eat normally in a moderate calorie deficit and gradually increase up to maintenance when you get closer to goal, doesn't that seem a little more straightforward and sustainable?
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    @DocJayDee - there is a lot of great advice on here, but in the end, you have to do what you feel is best for YOU. I know everyone is trying to be helpful, so take what you will from the advice given and keep going. Wishing you all the best in your weight loss journey.