Its day 3 of detox

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2018
    To the OP, good luck! Also, I think a detox every now and then is good. Doing a detox helps to reduce cravings, bloating and makes you feel better. I am also surprised that when someone says "no bread dairy or meat" that they would get so many negative comments. Especially, since bread is pretty much bad for you. It's high in carbs, sugar, not nutritional. Even if you choose wheat bread, it's likely made with Monsanto seeds. Also dairy (especially milk) has been shown to have so many hormones and according to many studies should not even be consumed. Heck many people are lactose intolerant and get sick from it anyway. Finally meat is so over eaten and the WHO has classified most meat as a carcinogen.

So tell me again why taking a break or "detox" away from these items and instead replacing them with veggies, fruits and lean proteins is bad? It's still reducing the total number of calories. Also, why so many negative responses. You all are acting like you are personally hurt because she chose to do a detox.

We're not hurt, we're concerned. What's she's doing is only temporary, as OP herself admitted she's only doing it for 90 days. But what about after those 90 days when she goes back to eating the exact same way that caused her to gain 40 lbs in the first place? She'll likely start the 90 day detox again, gain and lose the same 40 lbs over and over adding more weight to her body each time she does it. It's a vicious cycle, one that won't end until she admits that the only way to lose the weight for good is to make sustainable changes. Like counting calories, and only eating what her body needs to lose or maintain her weight.

Edit: a word
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    DocJayDee wrote: »
    I gained a bunch of weight and i needed something drastic to jumpstart my 40lb loss so Im doing the fat smash diet, which consists of 9 days of detox. No bread, dairy or meat. Its day 3, I woke up starving but I feel ok. Let's do this!

Why did you wake up starving? You shouldn't be starving on the Fat Smash Diet if you are doing it correctly. You aren't supposed to be drastically under-eating.

While "detox" is a dirty word on MFP, the diet plan itself sounds pretty healthy. If you do it correctly that is.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    orionaimee wrote: »
    Wow, a lot of bossy negative people on here. You will need to walk your own walk on this weight loss journey and find what works for you. Sometimes people just feel like junk after the holidays and want to flush their system out. If this works for you then great, if not then MFP is full of people who will support you on a different path. Happy New Year!

What you "feel like" doesn't mean that there's actually any science or reason behind it. Or that it's even a good idea.

Anorexics "feel like" they're always fat (OK, so at least those with BDD) and can't eat at a reasonable deficit because they need to lose weight. Even if they're underweight. Substance abuse people "feel like" they always need that high. Alcoholics "feel like" they need just that one more drink to get through the day.

Does that mean they should do it?

What do you think is unhealthy about the diet. Other than vocabulary.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Wow, a lot of bossy negative people on here. You will need to walk your own walk on this weight loss journey and find what works for you. Sometimes people just feel like junk after the holidays and want to flush their system out. If this works for you then great, if not then MFP is full of people who will support you on a different path. Happy New Year!

What you "feel like" doesn't mean that there's actually any science or reason behind it. Or that it's even a good idea.

Anorexics "feel like" they're always fat (OK, so at least those with BDD) and can't eat at a reasonable deficit because they need to lose weight. Even if they're underweight. Substance abuse people "feel like" they always need that high. Alcoholics "feel like" they need just that one more drink to get through the day.

You'll note that I said nothing about the diet, beyond it having no roots in science or anything that provides anything even resembling an evidence-based practice.

But let's not delude ourselves into thinking that just because someone "feels like" doing something, that it must be ok.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018

Not the poster you referenced, but my first thought is that most of these temporary fad diets aren't unhealthy physically. Even the stupid master cleanse isn't going to do lasting physical damage. The problem is that they are all temporary (and often very restrictive), and I think it's an easy argument to build that yo-yo dieting is a notable contributor to the obesity crisis. People do temporary fad diets, lose a bunch of weight fast, don't learn anything, gain a bunch of weight back, over and over and eventually stop trying.

I agree that ultimately, OP isn't going to physically hurt herself doing this 90 day diet, but she will possibly be burying herself further in the restrict/give up cycle that keeps so many people overweight and feeling like failures. It looks like she's going to have to learn that the hard way though!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Just a reminder-

This is the general diet and weight loss board, it is intended for users to ask questions and get answers. Hijacking threads is not allowed. If you cannot stay on topic and only have a snarky comment to make please remove yourself from this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation-
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here:

axtcjla7l0df.jpg

I laughed way too hard at this!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    DocJayDee wrote: »
    Actually I think the plan I'm doing isnt that different from going plant based, vegetarian or vegan-I eat as much fruits, veggies, beans, tofu, lentils, etc, as I want. Also oatmeal, brown rice, greek yogurt & egg whites are allowed during detox as well. I'm really just on here looking for good vegetarian meal ideas that don't take forever to make.

I have also worked with a registered dietician ( my insurance covered 6 free visits and everyone should try it sometime) and I have a plan to balance carbs & protein intake after the 90 days are up that I have been successful with in the past.

Before anyone says "it obviously didn't work if the weight came back" the plan worked fine, I lost a bunch of weight, got a boyfriend who didn't want to count carbs, hated brown rice and gave me the guilt trip every time I would skip cuddle time to hit the gym on Saturday mornings. Before I knew it I was making his favorite pasta & cheese dishes, skipping the gym and netflix & chilling with a large pizza and wings.

Siggi's Icelandic yogurt. It's like eating a protein supplement, but rich and creamy and delicious.