Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Wonderful, insightful post. I am who you describe - I just shouldn't drink. Embarrassed the next day? Yes plenty of times. Not a good feeling at all. Bad decisions and horrible hangovers- YES! Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you. You can do it. And you can even do it at weddings and parties and dates with guys you like that drink (if you are single). It's hard at first, gets better, and gets hard again at times. But you'll feel good about yourself and you'll look back and wonder how you were ever lucky enough to escape some terrible consequence of drinking. And you'll always know that "some people just shouldn't drink," but still do. And that you're not one of those anymore.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    wigi41 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this thread since mid-December. I have found all of the posts so inspiring, validating, and motivating. I have been drinking progressively more and more over the past few years; my weakness is red wine, although I enjoy craft beers and apple rye, as well. I have known that I need to cut back significantly, if not stop, and to that end, I am trying to do a dry January. It helps to read everyone's struggles and successes and know that I am not alone. So far, no alcohol this month. I did struggle a lot with cravings last night, but went on the treadmill instead.

I have a question- has anyone tried drinking non-alcoholic beer and/ or wine, and if so, has it helped? Any recommendations at all?

I think it depends on the person. I know some people who can have a non-alcoholic beer and feel satisfied because they got the taste. For others, like myself, the taste triggers the desire for more. However, it has helped me to drink a LOT of sparkling water, and at the bar tonight I plan on having club soda with lime. Looks like a drink, but doesn't taste like one or have the effects. Sprite with a splash of grenadine is a good alternative too, if you're not too concerned about cals or if you make room for those cals. I haven't tried non-alcoholic wine but I think the O'Douls Amber tastes good. If I could feel satisfied from non-alcoholic beer, I wouldn't be opposed to that one.
  • wigi41
    wigi41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Moxie42!
  • mmccool719
    mmccool719 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Goal — Dry ( or damp?) January

1/1 = no alcohol
    1/2 = no alcohol
    1/3 = no alcohol
    1/4 = 2 glasses of wine
    1/5 =
    1/6 =
    1/7 =
    1/8 =
    1/9 =
    1/10 =
    1/11 =
    1/12 =
    1/13 =
    1/14 =
    1/15 =
    1/16 =
    1/17 =
    1/18 =
    1/19 =
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =
    1/29 =
    1/30 =
    1/31 =

Dry January fail tonight. A craptastic day led to 2 glasses of wine. I guess I will have to settle for a “slightly damp” January instead of dry— LOL. Oh well, restarting again tomorrow.

Damp January!! You’ve coined a new term when one falls off the wagon. It’s ok. Tomorrow is a new day. I’ll never make it the full month either but I’m ok with this. I’m being healthier in other areas of my life.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    trchristy wrote: »
    Today a little bit of a rough day and normally I would have come home and drank some wine. I was at the hospital all day taking my mom to 4 appointments and numerous tests. Had to drive in the middle of this blizzard snow storm we are getting. Came home ate and now I am resting. Each day easier and easier and I feel better. :)

Bomb cyclone 2018! :astonished:

Yay for a successful day! :smile:
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Managed to enjoy only two hoegaarden rose beer last night but then caved and drank a himbeer schnapps. On the upside - at least it was not an entire bottle of wine with my husband.
    Day by day.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =
    1/6 =
    1/7 =
    1/8 =
    1/9 =
    1/10 =
    1/11 =
    1/12 =