• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles
    01/02/2018 - 4.0 miles
    01/03/2018 - Rest Day
    01/04/2018 - Unplanned Rest Day
    01/05/2018 - 3.52 miles

Today was suppose to be a cross training day, but since yesterday was an unplanned rest day, I did my run today. I was scheduled for 4 miles, but was forced to stop at 3.5 because my stomach was not cooperating. Temperature was 28 F with a fell like of 28 F. Tonight is our last freeze from this cold blast, temperatures will warm up tomorrow. Tomorrow's high is 55 F and Sunday's low is 55 F.

10.52/75 miles

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf 3/24/2018
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -?
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 15.6/90 km

5/1/18 Run 7 km
    4/1/18 SL B
    3/1/18 Run 5.3 km+3.3km
    2/1/18 SL A Walk 9 km
    1/1/18 Walk 6 km

SL~ Strong Lift
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group @Prof301 ! You'll find plenty of motivation and support here!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ran a nice 4.2 km today. Much better than the last two runs. As things were not going the way I wanted I gave myself an extra rest day and it seems to work reasonably well.
    As a side note I challenged my husband to get him back into running and it is working. Ihit the pride button, who will get to 60km first :wink: He took the bait!

exercise.png
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    1/5 Run 8.13 miles
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - I used to do a weekly hot yoga class. I had a love/hate relationship with it. But either way, it was anything but relaxing!

@shanaber - Thanks for the link to all of the indoor activities. I love the idea of teaching Stella to put her toys away! We currently play a lot of hide and seek. I have her sit in the kitchen and make her wait while I hide her toy in the family room. Then I tell her to find it and give her "hot" and "cold" commands until she does. She actually responds to my cues. I think it's as much fun for me as it is for her!
    Ultimately I would love to be able to set <pace> during first mile and hold it the whole race, but be too tired to run 2 more steps beyond the finish line. But that is not going to happen :smirk:

This is ultimately how my Boston Marathon worked out. Only the part of being too tired to take two more step was not part of the plan :)

cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I remeber, and while I wished I had and wanted to take the advice I had one small deficit of knowledge

Its okay, I often ignore my adivce too :lol: When I hit Pittsburg in May, I plan to start at my target pace and if I have anything in the tank in the last few miles pick it up, else hold what I got.

This was my plan in Columbus and it worked out great. I think the key was knowing that I was "probably" capable of finishing faster than my goal pace, but still holding back to my goal pace for the first half. My goal was 3:45 (8:35 pace). My quarter(ish) split paces were 8:35, 8:30, 8:20, 7:55, for a finish time of 3:38:26. I never would have imagined going in that I was capable of that time. Around the half way point I knew that I would be able to kick it up a notch. Sometimes you just have to rely on your gut. I credit the "fast finish long run" with helping me to be able to pull this off. I would be glad to give you any more info about my training if you are interested.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Its okay, I often ignore my adivce too :lol: When I hit Pittsburg in May, I plan to start at my target pace and if I have anything in the tank in the last few miles pick it up, else hold what I got.

This was my plan in Columbus and it worked out great. I think the key was knowing that I was "probably" capable of finishing faster than my goal pace, but still holding back to my goal pace for the first half. My goal was 3:45 (8:35 pace). My quarter(ish) split paces were 8:35, 8:30, 8:20, 7:55, for a finish time of 3:38:26. I never would have imagined going in that I was capable of that time. Around the half way point I knew that I would be able to kick it up a notch. Sometimes you just have to rely on your gut. I credit the "fast finish long run" with helping me to be able to pull this off. I would be glad to give you any more info about my training if you are interested.

Yeah, once the weather becomes conducive to long runs outside, I will be adding fast finish back into my routine. The 80/20 book talks about them, and I think they make sense. I am pretty sure on the path I am on, assuming I can stick with it till May, I have a solid shot a PR at least.

Would welcome any tips. I am far more of a novice than people in this thread give me credit for :smiley:
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    01/01 4.06 miles
    03/01 3.80 miles Phew that was one stormy run!
    05/01 3.61 miles - ate too close to running a bit sluggish

exercise.png

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I had to drop my little guy off at daycare this morning. That means I didn't get my run in this morning. My students are wondering why I am cranky today. I will be running at around 2030 this evening.... My wife will wonder why I am tired... I will be getting my 2:30:00 long run in at 0730 tomorrow morning... My little man will wonder why daddy is tired....

That's a bit of a vicious cycle of tiredness there!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I had to drop my little guy off at daycare this morning. That means I didn't get my run in this morning. My students are wondering why I am cranky today. I will be running at around 2030 this evening.... My wife will wonder why I am tired... I will be getting my 2:30:00 long run in at 0730 tomorrow morning... My little man will wonder why daddy is tired....

That's a bit of a vicious cycle of tiredness there!

As Travis Macy would say, It's all good mental training
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Yeah, once the weather becomes conducive to long runs outside, I will be adding fast finish back into my routine. The 80/20 book talks about them, and I think they make sense. I am pretty sure on the path I am on, assuming I can stick with it till May, I have a solid shot a PR at least.

Would welcome any tips. I am far more of a novice than people in this thread give me credit for :smiley:

We are all novices in our own right. I think trying to educate oneself and being open to information is critical to success. It appears that our race strategies are fairly similar, which is why I offered to share information on my training, since it seemed to work for me. I have my own theories on which elements of my training were most important to me. For you or anyone else, it could be completely different. I think you are slamming your training. My question is not so much IF you will PR, but by how much.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I highly doubt you were overreaching on an Easy run. My moderate runs mostly get to a 4 and even harder runs rarely get me to a 5 for training effect. Check your zones, as they are probably really generic and not related to your true HR zones. Mine are all based off of my best estimate LTHR of 175 and percentages of that.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I highly doubt you were overreaching on an Easy run. My moderate runs mostly get to a 4 and even harder runs rarely get me to a 5 for training effect. Check your zones, as they are probably really generic and not related to your true HR zones. Mine are all based off of my best estimate LTHR of 175 and percentages of that.

Yeah, I figured that my HR zones are all wrong. Totally generic and not customized at all. I even believe that doing a 220 - my age would make my max HR way off. I bumped an existing thread in the discussion area in our group. Asking everyone who has HR training experience to participate (or monitor if you're more interested).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10607880/hr-tracking-training-101

Appreciate the response @MNLittleFinn.