Please don't let your body be CONSTIPATED ! (Tmi warning)

Options

Replies

• threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

But don’t you care about your colon health???[/quote]

Nope, not even one little bit if it means an doing that!!!!

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I actually do care about my colon health - not in terms of constipation as that isnt an issue I have had

But - chance to push some worthwhile colon information ;) - I do participate in FOBT tests once every 2 years or so.

These are tests for hidden faecel blood which can be early detector of bowel cancer and recomended for everyone over 50 here.

Fortunately mine have come back negative.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    If I were constantlynconstipated I think I would see a doctor to figure out why instead of just starting to do frequent enemas or cleanses.

But don’t you care about your colon health???

I rarely think about my colon so I guess I don't care enough. I'm not constipated or bloated constantly though. My digestive system seems in good working order.

How is your colon health?

I dunna...haven't looked at it since they clipped my appendix off a few years ago...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    *warning this is gonna be gross* Well I can tell you that the more you go a day does not mean your gut is healthier. I have IBS-D (IBS with diarrhea) which means I go 4-6 times a day (on a bad day it can be more), heck it is 10:40am here and I have already gone twice. That does not mean I have a healthier gut, in fact it is quite the opposite. I have suffered from mal-absorption in the past which is where food moves too quickly through my body so I am unable to absorb the nutrients and was deficient in several important areas. I am able to identify my food in my stool and will often see foods I ate only 2 hours ago, which is not good. I can't speak to constipation as I don't have that much experience in that area but I cannot believe that regular use of laxatives and enemas is good for you.

My regular doctor suspects i may have ibs-C (BUT i was the one who brought it up, and i don't know if she was just agreeing with my assessment to shut me up) but she never ordered any tests, i dont know if there even are any tests for this?? I have often wished i had the D version, but obviously both are as bad as each other. But for me personally, there is nothing worse than not being able to go like clockwork and normally every single morning, like i have for the last 45 years, this problem is a recent one.

Going every 2 to 3 days is an awful feeling, and i cringe every time i read that this is some peoples normal. I just prefer not to carry all that poop/undigested or digested food (whatever it is) around inside me for longer than necessary! I know the feeling of going every day compared to every couple, three days...
    My hubby goes after every meal, and i am so jealous of his perfectly working system :weary:

PS I've had the cancer screening test and went through the trauma of a colonoscopy and everything was normal, so more tests of i don't know what are forthcoming. My Gastroenterologist rolled his eyes when i mentioned IBS, as if it is one of those BS conditions people automatically think they have!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    whosshe wrote: »
    Good lord......the AVERAGE is once a day but it can be more and WAY less. ....
    Some can go 3 days or more without anyone being concerned.

Laxative and enema abuse will seriously damage your ability to go naturally.

No one NEEDS an enema to cleanse the colon and telling people they need that and laxatives is dangerous advice.

No that is not healthy at all you have been lied 2. Think of your colon as a factory when you eat more food comes in therefore more food should come out the only exception would be people on very low calorie diets. And even then they should go every 2 days

I only have a BM about twice a week. I never feel pain and it's never uncomfortable once I do go. I had a colonoscopy about 2 months ago and apparently everything is good2go soooo...

ETA: by a GASTROENTEROLOGIST by the way lol

Do you eat 3 meals a day? How do you think it's good for all that food to be backed up into your colon it's not good and it effects how you absorb vitamins and nutrients. You don't have to listen to me im just sincerely telling you from my own experiences also some doctors have very low standards on colon health they will tell you something is normal just because it is common. Normal doesn't equal healthy and this problem can be easily fixed so don't worry.

forcing it out before its ready IS stopping you from absorbing all the nutrients you keep arguing for

It only takes the body a few hours to digest food it does not the 3 days ☺ and if you are referencing enemas by saying "forcing it out" then I wonder why you think it's okay for old waste to accumulate in your body over weeks it is not healthy.

it may only take a few hrs to digest but for it to become waste and to be passed it can take longer-https://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340 and in the subjects they tested it was more than 24 hrs total. some were 50 hrs. so I think you kinda have things a little mixed up

heres another one http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/normal-time-food-process-through-bowels-colon-12000.html

Yeah. I had surgery a couple of months ago. The pre-surgery protocol was as follows:

Surgery was scheduled for 2PM. The day before the surgery, at noon, I went on a clear fluids diet.

That evening, I gave myself a Fleet enema.

At midnight, I stopped taking in fluids.

Surgery happened at 2, went well, they released me around suppertime with instructions on what to expect (and what symptoms should concern me), a prescription for painkillers and instructions to get an OTC laxative.

I had my first solid food around 6PM.

It was almost 2 days before I had a BM. Note: I was not constipated. I did not have the 'urge' to void. It was just my body needing about 48 hours to process the food. (And for the record, the only aid I took was polishing off the three remaining prunes in the canister; didn't even need the laxative.)

After that, things settled back to normal. Roughly 2-3 times in a 2-day period.
  • str82nichelle
    str82nichelle Posts: 1,014 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have IBS-A, so I live the best of both worlds. With the D side, once you figure out your trigger foods, it helps to alleviate a lot of trips to the restroom. Since I have been eating somewhat healthier, I have been bothered with the C side quite a bit. I eat fiber filled foods, drink plenty of water and move (sedentary lifestyle is bad on the digestive system), but until I eat a trigger food for the D side, it can get kinda miserable.
    Hope you find what moves you!
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to the frequency the OP is suggesting doing a colon cleans? Once a week? 2-3 times a week? "Frequent" is a subjective term.
This discussion has been closed.