You folks scare me...

Options
mbminx
mbminx Posts: 21 Member
Everyone here seems so gung-ho about everything. Weighing and measuring down to the last crumb of food, working out for hours - it's all too much!

Yes, I want to make changes. Yes, I want to lose weight. Yes, I (eventually) want to start exercising. But I don't want to lose my mind over it all!

I'm prone to obsession, and a few times have found myself on the edge of an eating disorder. I really have concerns that if I start weighing every single drop of everything, I am going to tip over into something really unhealthy. I'm happy to work with my measuring cups and spoons, but taking everything to the gram is just a bit much to me.

Is there any hope for me? I'm keeping the food diary, and I am measuring ingredients and portions. Some days succeeding better than others, but holding a decent average. I'm more interested in healthy balanced eating than in micromanaging down to the last calorie. Any improvement is a big change.

But seriously - is anyone here NOT viciously rigid, but still having success? I've just been lurking, but I don't see a lot of people who take a more relaxed view - there's a lot of pressure to be all in.

I know that community can be helpful when making huge lifestyle changes... I just can't decide if I should try to fit in here.

Any advice, suggestions, similar experiences?
Thank you.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    The reason weighing is so pushed is because it's far more accurate for most things than measuring. Cups and grams can be vastly different with many solids, and when you get closer to your goal there's no room for error to keep losing. The plus side to that though is that some people can begin to get a good eye for portions, and the goal for long-term success is having a good idea of what you're eating and how much it costs. Prepping ahead can help a lot if you worry you may obsess too much. Weigh and portion planned meals ahead of time, then you don't have to worry about them later and you'll know exactly what you're eating. It can seem daunting, but when you start to get the hang of it it's not so bad, and some people find taking diet breaks every once in awhile helpful also. So there are many ways to go about it.

Not everyone works out for hours, some do and the ones that stick to it are the ones that enjoy it. Exercise is good to preserve the muscle you have, following a lifting program somewhere down the line can help you shape your body if that's what you prefer to do.
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    mbminx wrote: »
    Everyone here seems so gung-ho about everything. Weighing and measuring down to the last crumb of food, working out for hours - it's all too much!

Yes, I want to make changes. Yes, I want to lose weight. Yes, I (eventually) want to start exercising. But I don't want to lose my mind over it all!

I'm prone to obsession, and a few times have found myself on the edge of an eating disorder. I really have concerns that if I start weighing every single drop of everything, I am going to tip over into something really unhealthy. I'm happy to work with my measuring cups and spoons, but taking everything to the gram is just a bit much to me.

Is there any hope for me? I'm keeping the food diary, and I am measuring ingredients and portions. Some days succeeding better than others, but holding a decent average. I'm more interested in healthy balanced eating than in micromanaging down to the last calorie. Any improvement is a big change.

But seriously - is anyone here NOT viciously rigid, but still having success? I've just been lurking, but I don't see a lot of people who take a more relaxed view - there's a lot of pressure to be all in.

I know that community can be helpful when making huge lifestyle changes... I just can't decide if I should try to fit in here.

Any advice, suggestions, similar experiences?
    Thank you.

oh my hell. me exactly....
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food or exercise. But I am very aware of what foods are higher and lower calories. The awareness is all I need. (down 21 lbs so far)

I just came here for the forums and friends. Best of luck to you.
  • Stephahoney86
    Stephahoney86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Right now, for me personally my intent is to gain awareness around what I eat. I don't weigh my food or stress about if it's exactly right. I just know that if I am consistent with logging my food, then I'll know the "snack" I ate that thought was pretty healthy was actually close to 400 calories. Or I will resist mindlessly cramming food in my mouth because I don't want to log it. It's worked for me in the past. If I get down to a comfortable weight and want to get more technical about it, I will re-evaluate then.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You could have a look at this thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy

I think you will find lots of people who can lose weight without being obsessive about it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Mike1804 wrote: »
    you mean I might be obsessive because I created a spreadsheet to graph my caloric input/output? :D

I did too - not just that but it tracks my weight, measurements, and activity too - all on one sheet. lol