Please don't let your body be CONSTIPATED ! (Tmi warning)

Options
12346»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I remember going to the doctor when I was about 20 because I was quite constipated. I had hardly gone in weeks and even then what he told me to do was to go on stool softeners and to drink a lot of water (I should add he did get me to lay down and he asked if I was in any pain and he felt all around my gut area). I'm sure there are some cases where a medical professional would suggest laxatives but generally they'll want you to try everything else before you go there.

There are reasons for that and they're all listed above in prior posts.

Laxatives were the first thing my doctor told me to take! They were the only things that were keeping me somewhat regular. I voiced my concern and told her I didn't want to become reliant on laxatives, and they were my absolute last resort, but she said this would take months and months to happen, 6 or more months of daily use.

I still only took them when i couldn't stand it any longer. I refused to take them them every single day :noway:

I'm 99.9% sure i know what caused the issue The whole mess began when i started eating a protein bar with "Isomalto-oligosaccharide" as one of it's main ingredients, a tiny bar contained 25g of fibre. It has taken MONTHS to get back to being somewhat normal, but these little bars completely ripped my gut apart.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Also, for the love of all that is good and kind, going 2 or 3 days without a BM does not mean that a person is constipated.
    For some people, that’s just their regular schedule.

A sluggish bowel perhaps?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Also, for the love of all that is good and kind, going 2 or 3 days without a BM does not mean that a person is constipated.
    For some people, that’s just their regular schedule.

A sluggish bowel perhaps?

Or just not that much waste. When I'm eating 1200-1300 cal a day and mostly whole foods, I only go every couple of days. I just don't think I make much waste.

True, good point.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I went through a colon scope thing where I had to drink this big jug of laxative it was pure hell. I did it once and can say I never want to go through that again. as far as hemorrhoids go. I had my belt with them in my 30's I had to put thing up were the sun does not shine. just say no
  • jenniferc933
    jenniferc933 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I suffered from constipation from the age of about 18 yrs old. It is a terrible condition and debilitating and for those who have never suffered it 'long term', I can say that it more or less wrecking my life - I was too embarassed to discuss it with anyone in those days (1963 onwards). I was reliant on laxitives and I hated to be because I knew it's not good to rely on any medications but the horrible degree of chronic constipation was much worse. It even got so bad that I had to perform 'manual evacuation' (don't ask me to explain that but I'm sure the nurse in this will know). When I reach the age of 52 yrs I had cancer of the rectum (colon/bowel) - had to have a resection, radiation, chemotheraphy and it seemed from that operation until the age of 63 I did not have as much trouble (although I still suffer from it but not anywhere to the degree of making my life miserable). At 63 I had to have another 'resection' due the effects of scarring from the radiation treatment.

As I said, I still suffer from occasional constipation and when I do the 'old fear' of going back to chronic situation is still very much a part of me.

There are three things, I make myself remember and I'm not sure they work with you or anyone else but they seem to help me. These are:- eat an orange (especially when constipated), drink warm water (as much as is possible - and that's a hard ask for a person with chronic constipation), and try to have some fats or oils in your diet (they don't have to be large portions.

And finally, I really feel for anyone who suffers from chronic constipation - it's a terribly dibilating physical problem, just like any other physical problem.

I understand that laxatives are needed (me of all people know that) but try and combine the orange, warm water and fat/oil so that eventually the natual ingredients will take over from the laxatives.

Best of luck - from a person who has suffered and knows what it's like.
This discussion has been closed.