Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    January 1 — 4.15 miles
    January 3 — 4.25 miles
    January 5 — 4.12 miles
    January 7 — 4.15 miles
    January 9 — 9.27 miles

January total — 25.94/75 miles

Long run today in weather just above freezing until the sun set. :) The trail was packed with deep snow, so a lot of the run was spent on the side of the road. Don’t know if I should be running with or against traffic? I really need to get some reflective gear so I don’t get ran over this winter.

@Ryokat Great job on that long run!

Generally you want to run against traffic. Definitely get a reflective vest and a headlamp. Flashing lights are nice to have too.

Even though i don't need a headlamp to light my way, I like to have one so that if a car comes towards me or looks like they may cross in front of me or pull out ahead of me, I can sweep the beam through their windshield to increase the odds that they'll see me. Reflective vests are great, but they only work if the cars headlights are pointed at you. Here's the one I use: http://www.amphipod.com/products/visibility/reflective-vests/xinglet-pocket

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I can see the majority is progressing fine with your goals. As for me I am diagnosed with piriformis syndrome therefore I will have at least a week off running and then see what me next step will be. Unfortunately, I was very stupid on this, my body sent signals and I ignored them. Anyway, at treatment by a physio atm and lots of stretching at home make things better at least I can walk without a limp.

@Orphia those photos are awesome
    @7lenny7 omg that was close! You were very lucky my friend, unfortunately running amongst cars and especially inside a parking is not safe at all. So please be careful!!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Dang @7lenny7 ! That was close! Glad to hear it turned out well. Wish I could say I had not done that same stupid thing, but never quite as close of a call as that!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Dang! Man, I'm glad you're ok! That was a close one.

January goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

1/1- REST
    1/2- 8.1
    1/3- 6.4
    1/4- REST
    1/5- 4.8
    1/6- 8.1
    1/7- 5.4
    1/8- REST
    1/9- 8.5
    1/10- 6.7

Total: 48.0

Today's notes: 1 hour easy run as usual today, ran a little harder than easy, as usual and got in 6.7 miles in 1:00:34. Legs were a bit tired today, so maybe those hill repeats yesterday were a bit harder on me than I thought. Winter weather advisory tonight/tomorrow, so it's good tomorrow's a rest day, so I can shovel and not have to run.

Oh, seriously thinking going for a 1.4 mile run tonight. The shoes I was wearing today now have 598.6 miles on them. I had miscalculated and thought I was going to get to 600 on this morning's run, it was supposed to be their retirement run, but now I kind of want to make sure they have 600.....

Have a Runderful day!

2018 races and possibilities
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Oh, seriously thinking going for a 1.4 mile run tonight. The shoes I was wearing today now have 598.6 miles on them. I had miscalculated and thought I was going to get to 600 on this morning's run, it was supposed to be their retirement run, but now I kind of want to make sure they have 600.....

So you retire shoes when they hit a milage rather than by their condition? How do you determine the mileage when to retire them?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

So you retire shoes when they hit a milage rather than by their condition? How do you determine the mileage when to retire them?

In general I just retire using the rule of thumb that most shoes last between 300 and 500 miles. I donate shoes when they get older, so I try to not let them get totally trashed. This pair was my second ever pair, so I let them go longer. They are actually in better condition than some of the newer shows. I also haven't been wearing them as much lately.

Nifty chart I had found before: http://www.runnersforum.com/special/life-of-shoe.php
  • PastorVincent
    Options

In general I just retire using the rule of thumb that most shoes last between 300 and 500 miles. I donate shoes when they get older, so I try to not let them get totally trashed. This pair was my second ever pair, so I let them go longer. They are actually in better condition than some of the newer shows. I also haven't been wearing them as much lately.

Nifty chart I had found before: http://www.runnersforum.com/special/life-of-shoe.php

Ah, I have not ever really tracked shoe mileage. I did when I first got my milstone pod, but the battery died in that and it was a pain since it is not connected to anything. Doing 50-60 miles a week though means new shoes every two-ish months, and that does not seem reasonable to me. So I run till they feel bad, then buy a new pair. Someday I will buy the Gramin Footpod and track miles again to see how long my shoes last.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited January 2018
    Options

Ah, I have not ever really tracked shoe mileage. I did when I first got my milstone pod, but the battery died in that and it was a pain since it is not connected to anything. Doing 50-60 miles a week though means new shoes every two-ish months, and that does not seem reasonable to me. So I run till they feel bad, then buy a new pair. Someday I will buy the Gramin Footpod and track miles again to see how long my shoes last.

I track on Strava and just note which pair I used. Strava does all the tracking. Remember, rotating shoes makes a difference. There's a reason I have 6 pair of road and 4 pair of trail. Though I expect to get closer to 1000 miles from trail shies, as it's less impact.
    yxd2kxz3cxra.png