How long did it take to lose 50

2»

Replies

• azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Question, how long did it take you to lose 50 pounds?

15 weeks.

YMMV.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited January 2018
    It took me over a year. I did it slowly so I wouldn't risk losing a lot of muscle. Biggest mistake I made though was being at a caloric deficit for an entire 12 months because it did some major damage to my metabolism. Took me over a year to recover :-(
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    It took me over a year. I did it slowly so I wouldn't risk losing a lot of muscle. Biggest mistake I made though was being at a caloric deficit for an entire 12 months because it did some major damage to my metabolism. Took me over a year to recover :-(

Yeah, I’m sticking to 1600 a day because I tried 1200 once and couldn’t manage it I was sssooo hungry. 1600 seems good though
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    I lost 60lbs in a year, started at 270lbs, 5'10. Gained 5lbs back during my two weeks of holidays. I didn't put a timeline on my weight loss and focused on more a -1lbs deficit weekly, plus adding in exercise I enjoyed. My goals aren't for weight loss but for personal satisfaction (i.e. I ran a 5K then 10K and will soon be prepping for a half marathon in the spring).

Slow and steady, and give yourself plenty of time to reach your goals. This is a lifestyle change. If it takes a year to lose 50lbs, that's okay. You'll still get there.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    The first 50 lbs. About a year.

The second 50 lbs. another year and a half.

The last 15 lbs took 7 months.

It honestly depends on how overweight you are to start.

But I always choose to look at this way: the time is going to pass anyways, does it matter if it happens in 6 months? a year? more?
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I figure it will take me 3 years. I’m 2 years in now. Lost 22 pounds in 2016, lost 15 in 2017, plan to lose 13 in 2018. Slow loser right here!
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Starting on 21 July

took until 10 October to drop 50lbs

but I started at 292 so was a lot easier for me
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    I lost 48-49 lbs, over a year and a half, going from 185 to 136-137 at 5'5''.

I deliberately took a long time to lose weight as I'm unable to function below say 1600 calories per day.

Eating just a bit below maintenance was a great preparation for maintenance itself, which I've been successfully doing for about nine months now.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    5 months, but I also started out at 300 lbs.
  • meloyellow27
    meloyellow27 Posts: 29 Member
    It took me just shy of 7 months to lose 50 lbs.
    I'm 5'4" and I started at 189 at the end of April and on the morning of Thanksgiving, I hit 139.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Took me over a year, eating around 1200 calories, without exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It totally depends on how aggressive your goal is. My goal was to reach the middle of the healthy BMI and 5 years later I'm still not there! (it took me 1.5 year to get 2 lbs from that though - total loss 80 lbs).

The less you have to lose, the longer it will take, especially if your goal is to get pretty lean.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Question, how long did it take you to lose 50 pounds? I’m wanting to lose 50 in 6-8 months but fear it’s not possible. Stats: 5,4, 181 pounds. 1600 calories per day with ~20-30 minutes exercise every day. Walking and light weight lifting

It took me about 8 months.
    Net 1250 cal for the first 16 weeks.
    1 month break.
    Net 1350 cal for the next 16 weeks.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    mlinci wrote: »
    I lost 48-49 lbs, over a year and a half, going from 185 to 136-137 at 5'5''.

I deliberately took a long time to lose weight as I'm unable to function below say 1600 calories per day.

Eating just a bit below maintenance was a great preparation for maintenance itself, which I've been successfully doing for about nine months now.

I wish so much that this was the goal for more people on here and not just to lose as fast as possible.

I agree, my thing is that it’s looking like starting a family is going to become a topic for my SO and I here in the next year. My goal is to lose the weight so that I can prevent things like gestational diabetes, etc. Essentially getting healthy in preparation. To get to my ideal weight (130-135-doc approved) for my body frame I need to lose 50. I’m taking in 1600 calories a day and exercising 30 minutes daily. Hopefully that’ll do the trick :)