Dry January!

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Still dry, just so busy this week, I forgot to post yesterday.

Watch out for that ginger ale @dkabambe - it has more calories and carbs than a light beer (I found out the hard way when I switched my drinking to ginger ale thinking it would be healthier, but it was when I wasn't counting calories and I ended up gaining weight even though I had cut out drinking :o ).
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is day 8 for me, and I've not had any wine, and as a result, not eaten the snacks I usually have with it. Nonetheless, I've had a cold and been quite inactive, and had a disappointing weigh-in. My husband says it is the week before that is reflected in the weigh in, so I'll keep on logging! Hope to incorporate more activity soon. I am very happy about not drinking wine, and find it takes less food to satisfy.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    Still dry, just so busy this week, I forgot to post yesterday.

Watch out for that ginger ale @dkabambe - it has more calories and carbs than a light beer (I found out the hard way when I switched my drinking to ginger ale thinking it would be healthier, but it was when I wasn't counting calories and I ended up gaining weight even though I had cut out drinking :o ).

Thanks - I did notice that but they had a diet version which I ordered. Full of sweeteners which have their own issues, but figured better overall and water just wasn't going to cut it!!
  • KentuckyAHA
    KentuckyAHA Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    3 weeks to go! Question..is anyone taking a ‘cheat’ day? We have a friends 30th bday party before the end of the month. I’m not planning on taking a cheat day for drinking but know this is a time that is meant to be celebrated and will be hard not to have a toast to his bday especially when I’m helping plan the party. Also wondering if (for those of you counting calories) if you’re giving yourself a cheat day on diet and if so, how often? I’ve heard that taking a day off every now and then and giving yourself a day to ‘splurge’ a little bit is not a bad idea every now and then. I feel great and am not planning on this but was curious if anyone could provide input or suggestions based on their experience. I want to be sure I don’t ‘shock’ my body. I have been below my daily calorie goal by nearly 300 calories a day. Some days even more. Thanks for your advice in advance!
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    On Day 10 and feeling good about it! Last night I went to a networking event at a pub where the drinks were flowing and there were lots of fried foods. The great thing was the soda pop was free, so I drank soda water and diet cokes all night and nibbled on the veggie trays. I did have a stressful day at work yesterday and felt really tired and burned out after coming home from my event, so I was definitely tempted to open a bottle of wine (my go-to on a stressful work day). I didn't though! I had a healthy snack and went to bed instead. I feel very proud of myself for this achievement and am motivated to continue until the end of the month, and probably through February as well. I haven't weighed myself in the past few days but I am feeling slimmer in a big way. I really hope that I'm not just imagining things! I'm almost nervous to weigh myself and maybe find out that I haven't lost weight, that would be really de-motivating.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @KentuckyAHA If I'm consistently under my calorie goal, I tend to give myself a "refuel". I tend to look at my rolling weekly calorie average rather than be a slave to the number each day, so if I've been consistently under for a number of days I know I can splurge without disrupting overall progress. Be a little sensible about what you choose - if you consistently eat a good clean diet then a day of only cake and coffee won't be the best thing for your body but generally I wouldn't worry too much*. I don't consider doing this a "cheat", partly because I find if I don't do this I tend to plateau and also because I still log everything I eat on those days.

NB: I'm in the same boat - out for my mum's birthday tonight, (at a restaurant which doesn't publish nutritional info!), but I know I've been good last few days so whilst I'll try to make good decisions and log as best as I can I'm not going to let it stop me enjoying myself if I do fancy a dessert for example!
    Originally when I joined this group I had decided to allow myself one drink tonight for a toast. However, I've decided to have nothing as if I have one I know it'll be hard to stop, both in myself but also for peer pressure reasons. Wish me strength to stick to that, especially as we're all meeting first for bubbles and the restaurant does fab cocktails!

(*You'll work out what works for you. For me personally, if I've been really good then eat a fatty meal it plays havoc with my insides, but those things are different for everyone.)
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    lanzerco67 wrote: »
    Day 9: Idle hands are the devils playground, so (again) instead of having the after-dinner martinis last night, I re-strung three of my guitars, replaced the pickups on another, and re-soldered a half-dozen old instrument cables that I had thrown in a pile after the connections wore out. I am now a tedious job elimination machine!

Love it! I need to come up with some things I’ve been putting off to keep busy but be productive!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Day 10 - boom :smiley:
  • lanzerco67
    lanzerco67 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Many people have reported that the weekend is the hardest. Friday in particular. Wishing strength to everyone.

Day 12: Your wish is appreciated, as my favorite time of the weekend is the minute I get home on Friday night, pour a cocktail, and sit in my comfy chair before the night's festivities. Now, I CAN'T WAIT to get home and, uh... work out or something. /sarcasm

Good luck, everyone!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Day 11 feeling great!
  • eddie_fields
    eddie_fields Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Day 12 here as well. I agree with others that weekend is tough. Good luxk all!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The only thing I find is that if I can fit in a cardio session at end of day on Friday I go home feeling mighty loose. Hopefully, I can do that tonight! (Gotta ask the boss.)