Options
    I am on it right now. It works.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    No.
    Just the lack of incidence observed before their diets entire lifestyle changed.

FIFY

True.
  • dybbukgirl
    dybbukgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was on a keto diet since about August, and don't have anything particularly good or bad to say about it. It's just like any other diet.

I attempted keto because I have an autoimmune disorder, and I've heard from others with the same disorder that it'd helped alleviate their symptoms. This hasn't really been the case for me, at all.

It's also a very boring diet. I don't like bacon, I don't like beef in general (and it's expensive, and I can't eat cheese or dairy, so I'm left to like... Very few ingredients, very few recipes, and everything just winds up tasting the same. Bland.

I did lose weight on this diet, but I felt like death warmed over throughout. All while drinking bouillon and taking magnesium.

There's a peer reviewed study regarding the effect of keto diets on obese patients. This one has a sample size of only 83 patients, so take note. And this is a general overview of the diet with its claims sourced. Please use caution when getting dietary advice off the internet-- yeah, even my post here-- because there's a lot of money to be made off diets and people are, in general, moneygrubbers.
  • lucyxolu
    lucyxolu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done some research on it too, however, I decided to take a different path with it. I am focusing more on less carbs because I do love breads and rice. I just limited myself to 30-40 net carbs but I still enjoy wraps, breads, etc. Now a days there are tons of products, if you want to go down the processed route that provide low-carb options for pasta, bagels, bread, snacks, etc. I am a fan of Quest protein chips and the website Linda's Diet Delights has a bunch of low-carb products that I have enjoyed as well. I also watch my fat intake as well and have that set as a limit for myself on the app.
  • dybbukgirl
    dybbukgirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As soon as the diet doctor website is rolled out I need to back away because nope.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean when I say "money grubbers."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is no question that many people love the keto diet and do well on it, but I myself am not a fan. I find myself wondering about the long-term effects of ketosis, as I haven't seen much evidence of its safety.

Studies have shown it is safe. Plus if you consider cultures that often eat LCHF, they tend to thrive.
    More to the point, with emerging information about the microbiome, I'm increasingly convinced that fibre is extremly important in our diets and that we should be eating far more than the 25 to 35 grams daily that is recommended (more like 50 to 70g), which you must get from plants (i.e., carbs).

I think fibre is very important for plant digetstion. for animal products like eggs, there seems to be no benefit.
    Lastly, the keto diet simply is not ecologically sustainable. I'm leaning more and more to a mostly plant-based diet that includes eggs, some fish, and the occasional red meat. I think some animal-based protein is important for a complete diet for humans but that our society eats far more than is optimally healthful for ourselves or the planet.

In some ways that is correct. It takes more framed land to feed cattle, but you can also range them through wooded areas (they do that near where I live in the foothills) without clear cutting to farm land. So yes and no.

• ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can stay in my calorie allowance and not be over-ran with hunger. You should lose weight if you follow and even faster if you add exercise. I’d prefer to be vegan but keto seems to take off the weight better.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with going on a keto. The only thing that I cringe when I hear someone who wants to go keto is that bad information given to them for them to even consider that diet. The many reason why they tell me they want to go on keto is because carbs are bad for you, everyone else is doing it or it's the best diet out there. Whenever I hear those 3 answers, I roll my eyes. With that said, if you enjoy a high fat diet and it's easier for you to stick at a deficit, then go ahead and do keto. But don't do it, because everyone else is doing it or what some phony doctor who is selling his keto book says about it. In the end, a caloric deficit is needed to lose weight, you just choose the diet that won't make you miserable in that journey. If you like carbs, then keep the carbs in your diet, if you like big meals, then do Intermittent fasting, if you enjoy a high fat diet and carbs makes you want to binge, then do the keto diet, If you hate meat, go vegan. There is no best diet regardless what you hear or read.
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In my case, Keto lifestyle has been very beneficial.

Some background: I'm an endurance athlete and suffer from hypoglycemia. Before I started Keto I was under the traditional american diet (lots of carbs, avoidance of fat). Because I was following the American dietary guidelines, I've suffered from at least one glycemic event a week. I was very moody and had issues with being antsy.

Then I started keto when I was 16 (2015). After suffering through the week long "conversion" period (when your body starts getting used to using fat as a fuel source) I started to notice an incredible difference. My hypoglycemia has been non-existent, my endurance sports have improved drastically (I went from a 2:30:00 half marathon to a 1:58:00), I no longer became antsy, and my mood has improved greatly. Hell, my GPA has gotten significantly better since I went to keto!

Lots of people think fat makes you fat - that isn't true. Before I went keto I was 5'9 and 150 lbs (8% body fat). Now I'm 19 and I'm still 5'9 and... I'm still 150lbs (8% body fat).
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Are you referring to them?
    http://nutritionstudies.org/masai-and-inuit-high-protein-diets-a-closer-look/
    Dr. Mann, who published some of the early research, did an autopsy study of 50 Masai men and found that they had extensive atherosclerosis. They had disease (coronary intimal thickening) on par with older American men. Over 80% of the men over age 40 had severe fibrosis in their aorta, the main blood vessel from the heart that supplies the rest of the body with blood.

This. The Inuits are well known for their heart issues. But the obese keto followers will continue to parrot the Inuits, LOL at their delusion

Statistical errors here... Sample population is really really small. You cannot generalize that statistic to be true unless the population is representative of the Americans - in which case it isn't.

Also, I've been doing keto for three years now. I'm still 5'9 and 150lbs. I would hardly call myself "delusional."