What was your first “I’m getting fat” realization?

Options

Replies

• AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Couldn't fasten my coat up (took me a while to notice because I like wearing it open). Also noticed I was struggling more to bend down when tying my shoelaces.
  • pmaia
    pmaia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I put on and off weight through my 3 pregnancies over 10 years. I slowly each year kept putting on another 5 pounds. I would bend over and hit my but on things and thought what am I doing wrong..I went for a physical and got news of possible hyperthyroid disease. I asked to lose weight and recheck in 3 months..i joined MFP..after losing some weight is when I noticed I was looking fat in pictures..idk why..still have 20 pounds to lose..
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My son took my photo while eating pancakes & bacon on Christmas morning with family. It's the worst photo I've seen of myself! Time to take control of this situation was what went through my head when I saw it. I may print a copy to keep on my fridge for motivation. Also, assorted aches, pains and low energy due to the extra weight. Need to shed about 50lbs. I'm also aware of how people who've known me for years will treat me differently now. It's rather sad. But I intend to make healthy changes.
  • IcelandicBlonde27
    IcelandicBlonde27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Didn't really have one...I was pretty lean most of my life and in my teens and early 20s I was actually pretty much rail skinny and had difficulty holding onto weight. I put some quality weight on in my mid 20s...some muscle, some fat and was happy not to be a stick figure anymore.

I put my bad weight on from 30-38 after I graduated college and took a desk job working long hours with lots of out of town travel. I actually didn't really notice it much...or I should say that I didn't really pay it any attention.

I went to the doctor for my annual physical when I was 38 and came out with some really nasty blood work...pre-diabetic, triglycerides over 400, very high cholesterol and blood pressure around 170/110 and the doctor told me that I was officially obese per BMI at 5'10" and 220 Lbs and well on my way to being very sick, if not dead by 60.

My decision to lose weight and get back into fitness and eating better was more health related than anything...at the time I had a 2 year old and a new born and the thought of not being around for them scared the *kitten* out of me.

That was over 5 years ago...at that time I was a 2-3 PAD smoker who could barely walk the dog around the block without feeling like I was going to die...now I'm a fitness junkie who doesn't smoke cigarettes and enjoys doing 1/4 and 1/2 century bike rides just because it's the weekend and 15ish% bf with all bad blood work reversed. Still on blood pressure meds, but they are much reduced and my BP is well under control now. I've maintained my weight loss going on 5 years this spring.

ETA; at my highest weight, my wife started making comments as well...not really negative, just more worrisome...

Really enjoyed this comment. Congrats on all your hard work
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    ginyspills wrote: »
    For some reason these realizations give me more fuel to stick to eating healthy!

Mine was my mood. I realized I’ve been feeling constantly moody/insecure. Great marriage, work is fine, same amount of money stress. So what is the problem? Looking back at photos of me with the huge smile, I realized I have gained a crap ton of weight! How can I smile like that when my clothes hardly fit me? I refuse to buy new outfits in a bigger size! Determined to lose this weight

How about you?

same here! I think about how I have a somewhat good daily life (I have a teen in the house, lol) and happily married but still felt rotten every day mood-wise. Plus, I'm so big I breathe heavy just going up and down a short flight of stairs. Tired of how my clothes feel too.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Airplane seatbelt moment and struggling to tie shoelaces
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i broke a toilet seat. it was embarrassing

My toilet seat is still broken from when my ex snapped it >.> I need to get around to buying a new one thanks for the reminder lol
  • ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started 2nd grade.
  • healerbee
    healerbee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me it was a combination of looking at pictures, getting sick more often and the double chin. Doing something about it now though.
  • August2444
    August2444 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Having to buy work pants 2 sizes larger and when it was becoming an effort to roll over in bed.