• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I love Saturday mornings!
  • reactivefuzz
    reactivefuzz Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I realized I have to avoid social gatherings in my area when I was invited to the local icehouse on my neighbors birthday. I may need to stay indoors since this guy stops by and invites me over for a beer when passing by and I'm out working in the yard. South Texas here, we're not frozen most of the winter like much of the US. In fact it was in the mid 60s on this particular day I referenced.

Edit: I'll soar through day 8 with easy today!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love Saturday mornings!
    Me too! I've been looking at a lot of videos about Dry January, or giving up alcohol, so I don't know the exact source, but this reminds me of one guy who talks about how not drinking frees up so much time "to work on your dreams" ...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    I realized I have to avoid social gatherings in my area when I was invited to the local icehouse on my neighbors birthday. I may need to stay indoors since this guy stops by and invites me over for a beer when passing by and I'm out working in the yard.

I found that I eventually just had to tell people that I'm off alcohol so they stop offering it to me. I've rarely had to give any further explanation. Your neighbor can find something else to offer you. Social gatherings can be about being social, not getting rocked.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @karengineer and @soccermom004 : welcome! Best wishes for your strength and resolve!
  • jcadow
    jcadow Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I got a late start, but almost 1 week is in the books. Sometimes I don't miss it, sometimes I really do. A friend said to keep in mind that the craving, when it swells up, will pass. It's like riding a wave. I think it's from the book my friend is reading, The Craving Mind https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300223248/craving-mind.
  • jcadow
    jcadow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My transition always involves finding alternative beverages. Since it's cold, tea seems fitting. Tonight, I had Pukka "Detox," particularly fitting.

What's your go-to alternative?

Seltzer with Dynamic Health's tart cherry, turmeric & ginger tonic + Lily of the Desert aloe juice. The extreme tartness of the tonic does a pretty good job of satisfying my craving for booze, esp. if I put it in a wine glass, or with ice into a cocktail glass.

I consume a lot of non-alcoholic ginger beer, too, often in a pilsner glass. Reed's Extra Ginger Brew pummels my tastebuds. Tomorrow I'm going to try making my own.

I often end the day with strong, hot ginger tea (usually Yogi).

Helps if I make a ritual out of it.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Still dry...but have to admit, kind of wanting some wine. No where near the daily cravings I had last year, but it would be nice to have a glass, but I won't. Wanted to go get a nice dinner out tomorrow night and realized all the food I wanted to eat, I typically like a drink with it even if it is just a light beer (Ribs, Mexican, Burgers/Steak). Having to rethink what I'm going to do for dinner tomorrow as I'd rather avoid the temptation/desire.
  • reactivefuzz
    reactivefuzz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else read the mfp cutting out sugar blog? It states that taste buds take around 21 days to turn over, which I take to mean cravings are more tolerable or relatively nonexistent.

I haven't had added sugar since 12-23-17, my mfp daily average for sugar is under 30g, I feel great, and my cravings are very tolerable. Hopefully the urge to grab a random beer subsides in a week and a half, too. Working 12 hour days, 13 on 1 off, and exercising helps keep my mind of alcohol currently - but when I go back to 40 hours I'll just have to see...