Sunday Roast

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    why is it so odd that the person cooking would dish up her meal?

when I cook, no matter who it is for I dish up the meal, I do ask them what they want and usually show them what's going on and say is that enough/how much but its normal for the cooker to plate up ??

im 31 and have never been to a family dinner and dished up my own meal.
    and frankly if I was cooking and everyone came in and started to dish up their own Id tell them to F**k off out the kitchen :D

OP as said above you dont have to eat everything you are given, and I am sure from logging your own food you can have a guestimate of what you do actually eat.

I LOVE a good Sunday roast so when Im making one I tend not to eat during the day knowing I can have a massive dinner and enjoy it without worrying that its gonna wreck my count for the day.

#SundaydinnerisnotjustforSundays

It is not normal at homes where I have eaten for the cook to plate everyone's food especially if there are a lot of people. Either the food is in the kitchen and everyone fills their own plate there or the food is on the table and you fill your own plate unless you are a young child or something is too heavy to pass. That is how it has always been.
  • trawillcy2018
    trawillcy2018 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Anna_137 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Is this a traditional thing to have someone plate your food for you on Sundays? I am not sure I could really handle someone else putting food on my own plate.

I don't know if it's a UK thing but generally whoever is cooking dishes up everyone's food. Sometimes they might put a dish of something on the table for people to serve themselves, but not usually the whole meal. The sauces/gravy are also left on the table for people to take what they want. It would be really unusual to go to someone's house for dinner and ask them if you could put your food on your plate yourself. If you explained why then reasonable people would be fine with it, but i could imagine some would get offended.

When I got to my dad's for dinner, I just over estimate. But I don't go very often.

Yes, it's the usual way in the UK & plus we kinda live upstairs so we eat all our meals in our room, there's no sitting at the table in this house!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    she dishes up your plate for you?

yeah. no.

but then, i also dont eat other peoples food. its always been an OCD thing of mine, not a calorie thing. though it comes in useful for that too.

Then maybe you don't go to restaurants. But, with the exception of buffets, every restaurant plates the guest's food. I don't understand why this is so odd.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    why is it so odd that the person cooking would dish up her meal?

when I cook, no matter who it is for I dish up the meal, I do ask them what they want and usually show them what's going on and say is that enough/how much but its normal for the cooker to plate up ??

im 31 and have never been to a family dinner and dished up my own meal.
    and frankly if I was cooking and everyone came in and started to dish up their own Id tell them to F**k off out the kitchen :D

OP as said above you dont have to eat everything you are given, and I am sure from logging your own food you can have a guestimate of what you do actually eat.

I LOVE a good Sunday roast so when Im making one I tend not to eat during the day knowing I can have a massive dinner and enjoy it without worrying that its gonna wreck my count for the day.

#SundaydinnerisnotjustforSundays

It is not normal at homes where I have eaten for the cook to plate everyone's food especially if there are a lot of people. Either the food is in the kitchen and everyone fills their own plate there or the food is on the table and you fill your own plate unless you are a young child or something is too heavy to pass. That is how it has always been.

Now that I think of it, I only fill everyone's plate if it is just our family. When we have guests, I do have them fill their own plate. We don't have guests often, so that is why I didn't think of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Clean your plate - when you serve yourself. The rule does not apply when someone else does it. I too was late to figure this out :#

This is my approach. When I serve myself I tend to serve myself exactly what I want to eat and no more (and I don't get seconds). When someone else does, well, I use judgment (and this is a restaurant thing, mostly).

When we have dinners usually you get some say over how much goes on your plate or, ideally, you dish up yourself from plates and bowls on the table or counter.

Anyway roasted chicken, potatoes, and veg are something I ate frequently when losing. (Not instant gravy, I'd skip it, and better if you know how much fat she added.)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

yeah. no.

but then, i also dont eat other peoples food. its always been an OCD thing of mine, not a calorie thing. though it comes in useful for that too.

Then maybe you don't go to restaurants. But, with the exception of buffets, every restaurant plates the guest's food. I don't understand why this is so odd.

restaurants are different. and i go to those very very rarely. and i do not ever EVER go to buffets. They violate every single one of my food rules.

I have OCD. i dont give a *kitten* if no one understands it. Theyre my rules, and serve me well.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

yeah. no.

restaurants are different. and i go to those very very rarely. and i do not ever EVER go to buffets. They violate every single one of my food rules.

I have OCD. i dont give a *kitten* if no one understands it. Theyre my rules, and serve me well.

I get you. You have to deal with your OCD as you see fit.

I am a retired chef. When we have guests for dinner, it depends on what I've prepared as to whether I will plate or let others serve themselves. Sometimes with some things, like say rack of lamb with roasted potatoes and a veggie, it makes more sense to plate and sauce. There is also a certain art to the presentation. A comfort meal like Chili, I'll put out the chili and the garnishes and let people help themselves.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with rationing it or making sure everyone gets a fair amount, its just normal to cook and dish up dinner.

I understand some people put all food out on the table for people to take what they want or put serving spoons in the pots/pans/dishes etc but this is not a "usual" thing. Well not in the UK anyway.

when you go out for a meal do you go in the kitchen and dish up yourself too? because god forbid somebody dish up your meal :D

Dining out is different then eating in someones home. So that argument doesn't fly.
    I do not dish out grown folks food....children yes...adults no ;)
    I do not know what they like or don't like.
    I would not like someone making my plate either....find it odd. Different strokes for different folks.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Is this a traditional thing to have someone plate your food for you on Sundays? I am not sure I could really handle someone else putting food on my own plate.

I don't know if it's a UK thing but generally whoever is cooking dishes up everyone's food. Sometimes they might put a dish of something on the table for people to serve themselves, but not usually the whole meal. The sauces/gravy are also left on the table for people to take what they want. It would be really unusual to go to someone's house for dinner and ask them if you could put your food on your plate yourself. If you explained why then reasonable people would be fine with it, but i could imagine some would get offended.

When I got to my dad's for dinner, I just over estimate. But I don't go very often.

Yes, it's the usual way in the UK & plus we kinda live upstairs so we eat all our meals in our room, there's no sitting at the table in this house!

Whaaat? You don't eat together? I thought meals were a social gathering.
  • trawillcy2018
    Options

yeah. no.

I totally understand your OCD as I suffer with it too! Not exactly the same as yours but I can relate :)
  • dsboohead
    Options

yeah. no.

I get you. You have to deal with your OCD as you see fit.

I am a retired chef. When we have guests for dinner, it depends on what I've prepared as to whether I will plate or let others serve themselves. Sometimes with some things, like say rack of lamb with roasted potatoes and a veggie, it makes more sense to plate and sauce. There is also a certain art to the presentation. A comfort meal like Chili, I'll put out the chili and the garnishes and let people help themselves.

A Chefs meal is like enjoying a work of art this is an exception where plating is concerned.
  • trawillcy2018
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

Whaaat? You don't eat together? I thought meals were a social gathering.

I suffer anxiety & self consciousness so it's easier to just sit with my other half ... the family understand so it's not an issue :)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    please don't assume your like the only person here with OCD or that understand
  • trawillcy2018
    Options

Oh I didn't & I'm truly sorry if I came across that way!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread, and I assume the setting is English. Took me by surprise on my first trip to England. The "plating" was always done at the table though, and they asked me how much.

Where I live now, we help ourselves when we come together for social meals, but again it's from dishes on the table. You take what you need from the nearest dish and pass the dish around to other persons. So of course you get to choose how much or how little, or skip a particular dish if you prefer.

When it's just our family at home, we do whatever is convenient. A fresh meal would be in dishes on the table for everyone to help themselves. A meal from leftovers would be plated out from whatever is available and popped into the microwave.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Oh I didn't & I'm truly sorry if I came across that way!

not you chick.

callsitlikeiseeit said

many people understand! and I dont give a *kitten* how anyone dishes up the dinner either, I only commented saying its not as odd as some were saying that the cook dishes up.

grown *kitten* people need to get a grip
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    The issue seems to be the weigh in.

The solution is called trending weight app or web site.

Weekly weigh ins (which I personally consider inferior to daily due to less data points and a higher perceived importance) are also best done before an indulgent day, so for most people Thursday or Friday morning....