January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Yeah, for 4K you'd think they could spot you the classes.

I didn't understand this as an exercise bike and I don't understand it as a treadmill. It seems to be geared towards people who like to socialize, but don't feel like going to the trouble of finding clothes that don't smell bad so they can go to a gym. Or maybe it's for people who wish they had friends to work out with.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    January 2018 runs:

01 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:08
    02 Jan – 21.2 km half marathon 2:12:33
    04 Jan – 6.7 km
    06 Jan – 5 km parkrun 29:09 so freaking warm!!
    07 Jan – 18 km
    10 Jan – 13.1 km
    11 Jan – 11 km
    13 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:29 & made a new Strava friend
    14 Jan – 16 km pretending to be a F1 racing driver
    16 Jan – 10 km

Jan goal: 170 km
    Jan total: 111 km

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @honunui - I was thinking of you on Saturday when I heard the news of that text that was sent in error. Hope you were sleeping through all of that!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I wasn't super motivated to run today. Baby had a rough night, my anxiety is a little rockier lately, etc. but I dragged myself to the gym. And I slogged through four miles on the treadmill. It didn't feel good. Outside my left knee/lower quad was feeling a little off. Not in pain, but I was aware of it. I did some lunges and stretched afterwards and everything feels okay now.

This is why I started a 12-week training plan about 16 weeks before the half.

Sounds like IT band.

Mine initially presented like yours, then it seemed within 6 months that it was unmanageable. I had no idea what it was. I never connected the dots in my symptoms. Odd, since I'm neurotic. :blush:

Might look it up and do some preventive work, if it seems like what you experienced. Stay ahead of it.

Sounds like you conqured a rough day.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Will update my log in a bit, probably after today's run, but I did make it out last night! It was around 19F, which actually felt quite lovely and I used my spikes for the second time and my balaclava for the first. That's the second time I've used them, and I've confidently ran on the ice. Such a great find at Costco for $9.99! I felt a little like a bank robber, but I was cozy, and a little warm toward the end.

It's 6F right now, but should warm up to the 30s later, which is when I'll head out. Had an early morning call for work, so my schedule is a little whack today anyway.

@RunsOnEspresso Do you know if you have a local Celiac organization that does a run? Ours is in it's third year, and I'll run it this year. I feel so fortunate to live where I do (near Denver). Pretty much everything everywhere has a GF option (sometimes the safety for Celiacs is questionable, but definitely abundant options).

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I saw that on RW. Some people have too much money! Haha! Wow! But it'd be great if you worked from home and didn't want to go to the gym or had weather to contend with. It'd need a feature that says "hey get off the couch!", or "Don't eat that! You need 90 minutes with me to undo that", "get out of bed", "you know how much stronger you be if you come over here", "I can add quality years to your life", " oh snap, everyone else used me today. Your lazy!" ...and fix my coffee.. LOL!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    January goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

1/1- REST
    1/2- 8.1
    1/3- 6.4
    1/4- REST
    1/5- 4.8
    1/6- 8.1
    1/7- 5.4
    1/8- REST
    1/9- 8.5
    1/10- 6.7
    1/11- REST
    1/12- 9.3
    1/13- 10
    1/14- 6.6
    1/15- REST
    1/16- 4.9

Total: 78.8

Today's notes: Day 2 of my mandatory down week. "Yesterday was rest and today was a 1 hour trail fartlek. I am fighting off a cold, so it was less than pleasant, but I got it done. 4.9 miles in an hour isn't much faster than my normal E pace, but there was no big downhill to bomb down, so there is that.

Have a Runderful day!

2018 races and possibilities
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! You are a chatty bunch, I can't keep up with names and races! :)

Anyone here running every day? Any pros/cons to consider?

@Starflight00 - Right now I aspire to run every other day, though I have not achieved that recently. When totally healthy, I have maintained a schedule of running 5 or 6 days a week; I have come to the conclusion that 6 days gives me too high a risk of injury.

In order to run every day, you can't afford to run hard very often or push for a lot of distance. If you're happy with counting one mile as the minimum, and have the discipline to run that mile so easy that it's like a rest day, it's possible to run for a streak. If you want to work to improve your speed, running every day has a significant risk of injury. If you don't have the discipline to run much slower than you *can* run most of the time, running every day carries a huge risk of injury.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person about streak running, but I do understand that it is a discipline. It is a different discipline than training for a target race. It is a different discipline than training for a marathon or an ultra. I suspect I could learn it, but I'd have to make it a priority; that would mean giving up training for marathons and giving up training to do well in my age group in national USATF events. Those are things I'm not willing to give up. For my personality, it's easier to avoid injury by not attempting to run every day.

If I run even slower than I can, I'd be walking. :) My pace is 8'29"/km (13'39"/mile) and I have to run in the 140-157 bpm zone (told a guy from a fitness test I took last year). Because it's so easy (compared to when I used to push past 170+ bpm for most of the run), I was thinking maybe I can do it every day? But maybe it's better not to push my luck and stick to every other day instead of getting injured and having to start over again...

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    for the rest of the world to help understand what a small minority of the world is talking about, especially YOU @PastorVincent >:)

2p8mz43pl0tm.jpg

Honestly, there is good argument that Fahrenheit is superior, see this article for example (make sure add blockers are on, pretty loaded site):

https://www.zmescience.com/other/fahrenheit-vs-celsius-did-the-u-s-get-it-right-after-all/

I really do not care - so long as we can all agree on one (which is highly improbable!)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    for the rest of the world to help understand what a small minority of the world is talking about, especially YOU @PastorVincent >:)

2p8mz43pl0tm.jpg

Kelvin really is the best, since zero actually is zero, then again, there would be a lot of dealing with decimals to get people to understand what the temp is.
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Link2Life wrote: »
    01/02/2018: C25K W1D1
    01/11/2018: C25K W1D2
    01/15/2018: C25K W1D3

I finally have my head in the right place to stay consistent. If I don't run in the morning, I don't run in the evening. I'm breaking this pattern of sleeping in just a few minutes longer, rushing to get ready for work, crashing at home in the evening. And while it took me 2 weeks to complete the first week, i'm confident i can start week 2 on Wednesday. I'll add yoga into the time slot tomorrow morning.

Looking at everyone's daily miles here is inspiring. I crave the day I can run 3 miles without stopping. And then I'll crave more. I want to trail run this summer...

You'll get there! And when you run your first 5K race you'll smile remembering how seeing "run for 5 minutes" was freaking you out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

2p8mz43pl0tm.jpg

Kalvin really is the best, since zero actually is zero, then again, there would be a lot of dealing with decimals to get people to understand what the temp is.

We posted at about the same time, so see my post above yours for a different opinion. :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

2p8mz43pl0tm.jpg

Honestly, there is good argument that Fahrenheit is superior, see this article for example (make sure add blockers are on, pretty loaded site):

https://www.zmescience.com/other/fahrenheit-vs-celsius-did-the-u-s-get-it-right-after-all/

I really do not care - so long as we can all agree on one (which is highly improbable!)

accirding to wiki - According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[10] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).

sounds a little made up to me....... whereas Celsius takes the freezing point of water as 0 and the boiling point (at sea level) as 100 (fairly sensible) I've with @MNLittleFinn, for accuracy Kelvin really does have it.

But I'm just jesting with you... :D