You Brits are so funny

Replies

• _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Believe me mate there is nothing quaint or charming about me at all!

Nice!!!

I grew up in Hastings ('astin's), nuff said :wink:
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Now the Irish- wow- had one Irish friend and Iiterally had no clue what he was talking about. The closest I can come to comparing it to someone in the states was the time I was in Louisiana and tried to understand a Cajun. I had no clue.

Hey! I'm half- Irish, born & raised in cajun country, married to a said cajun, & lemme tell ya sha, I dunno whats you talkin bout, no!

Thats how we speak in nottingham.
  • brit49

Nice!!!

[/quo

Double post
  • brit49

Nice!!!

[/quo
  • brit49

Nice!!!

[/quo
  • brit49

Nice!!!

[/quo

right nuff said lol
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Aww yeah I bet you miss it loads! 4 yrs is a loooooong time. It is so boring though. I swear theres new people every week!

I use the F word a lot too :/ I should stop as well haha sooo hard though! It just sounds so powerful when I'm angry lol

There are...Neighbours is just as bad these days, I don't really watch either anymore to be honest! Would rather watch Eastenders LOL

Hahahaha, Yes, it can! But I know I use it waaay too much. My Mama is going to go mad if she hears me saying it when I go home after 4 years - she will wonder what this country has done to me!

I love Enders! Haha gotta love cockney slang.

Just say as little as poss! She won't let you come back haha should have a swear jar :p
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I pronounce learned learnt, but I would always write it learned.

edited to add, I am English and speak extremely correct RP.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    this thread is so funny! I have had a lot of fun explaining my food diary to my american friends! lol!

I do like a nice texan accent! I love how matthew maconahhugh or however you spell his name talks! sounds lush!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    Watch EastEnders. That's how I sound! I rarely come across people who speak the Queen's English.

O'right laaaav! x

Aaah, PROPER English lol :smile:

my cousins in canada love coronation street! they think everyone speaks like that here !
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    ha ha, sometimes Americans and Brits speak the same language, other times not at all! The language is English though, so of course we speak it correctly! :bigsmile: I am on a SAHM thread, the only Brit on there, and there have been some amusing occasions when either I haven't understood them or they haven't understood me, even though we've both obviously thought what we were saying made perfect sense!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Now the Irish- wow- had one Irish friend and Iiterally had no clue what he was talking about. The closest I can come to comparing it to someone in the states was the time I was in Louisiana and tried to understand a Cajun. I had no clue.

Hey! I'm half- Irish, born & raised in cajun country, married to a said cajun, & lemme tell ya sha, I dunno whats you talkin bout, no!

my ex used to speak like that and he was from Cotgrave!

Now I'm based in London I seem to be adopting some Dagenham talk.. O'rite trecul (alright treacle..) and paaaaand (pound) seem to pop up a lot..
    to say I can barely understand or distinguish various British accents I love the american way of talking but my favourite accent is from New Zealand.. kinda like a relaxed aussie accent but slightly sexier :D
  • karenp84
    karenp84 Posts: 119
    But their teeth.

yeh ok, someones obviously never watched Jerry Springer...
    Altho maybe they cant be classed as having bad teeth when they havent got any...
    ;)

Lol thats so true!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Whilst one really appreciates the feedback from you chaps over the pond! One is a tad concerned about the comment about `teeth`
    I would like you to know that our family has a traditional health care plan, which does include a good `orthodontist` and we get regular checks.

On the subject of health care, one bathes or showers regularly at least every 3 months whether one needs to or not!!!!

Whilst one understands your interest in our culture, it can be a little offensive, that "y`all need to" speak about us in this way...I am very sure that if I broach this subject with Elizabeth or even Prince Harry at breakfast tomorrow morning, then it will create an incident of upset.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE british accent!! Is so elegant and sexy
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    arghhhhhhhhhh

There is NO British accent. that is like saying I love the American accent and including Canada and Mexico in the mix, I am aware that people from different parts of the US talk with very different accents, I would hope that most Americans would be aware that not only is Britain a collection of countries that we talk with different accents all over the country.

I certainly do not talk like people from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Yorkshire, Birmingham etc

I don't talk like people in Eastenders or Coronation Street.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I think you'll find the language you're bastardising is known as English, and there's nothing quaint about the use of legitimate words.

Clearly, you are the arbiter of all things bastardized.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    this thread is so funny! I have had a lot of fun explaining my food diary to my american friends! lol!

I do like a nice texan accent! I love how matthew maconahhugh or however you spell his name talks! sounds lush!

his accent is delish! alright alright alright!
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    This thread has been quite entertaining! :laugh: I'm a New Yorker married to an Essex boy. Our children have a mix of both accents and can sometimes be overhead telling people how we gave the, "dawg a bahhhth." :tongue: Oh, and he has had to less dental work than me. :laugh:
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    My husband has a Scottish friend, and Lord! i could listen to him read the phone book!!!! His accent is just...hhhmm. lol.
  • I have to say, as a Texan, I find all the "learnt" and "whilst" talk on here to be exceptionally quaint and charming. And as a woman, I must say, you haven't really lived until you've been called "beautiful" in British. Talk about making a girl blush ...

Sometimes I say "whilst" just because I'm a big fan of that word, and all the Philistines around here tell me I made it up.

I like some English accents. I could listen to Paul McGann's voice any day.
    I agree it's charming when an Englishman calls a woman "beautiful" or "love" until you realize they say that to all women. :cry:
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,407 Member
    The IT Crowd
    The Inbetweeners
    The Office
    Top Gear
    good shows all
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156

my ex used to speak like that and he was from Cotgrave!

Now I'm based in London I seem to be adopting some Dagenham talk.. O'rite trecul (alright treacle..) and paaaaand (pound) seem to pop up a lot..
    to say I can barely understand or distinguish various British accents I love the american way of talking but my favourite accent is from New Zealand.. kinda like a relaxed aussie accent but slightly sexier :D

New Zealand & South African... OMG! Makes me melt!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    But their teeth.

Um hai, we have an NHS which means our kids/poor people get free dental care, therefore actually manage to have better teeth than in countries where you have to be rich to afford medical stuff....like that country...ummm...America?

I've wondered who started all this nonsense about Brittish having bad teeth. I'm going to guess the ratio to good vs bad teeth is about the same in the US.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    I have a friend who is from Manchester, his accent makes me weak! :blushing:
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    This thread has been quite entertaining! :laugh: I'm a New Yorker married to an Essex boy.

Essex, England Essex?? Oh my goodness, now there's a mix!!

Where do you guys live, here or there??
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    This whole thread made me giggle! I'm a Canadian liviing in England for the last 8 years...and I still say they are the ones with the accent. Funny things accents...I never get asked if I am Canadian (or American)...I get asked if I'm Irish! Think I've gotten muddled over the years. And my husband is from a French West African country (I figure out kids will the strangest sounds accents!)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    That is such a condescending thing to say.

To the OP, I'm willing to bet that you have a "funny" accent too!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    OOORRR WELL FANK YOU ...NOW wheres my traor?? i left it ere somewhere....lol:drinker: i will hav a nice bit of scrumpy first tho...:blushing:

to all you americans.... that was one thanks you very much! :laugh:

WE LOVE you all too xxx
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    The IT Crowd
    The Inbetweeners
    The Office
    Top Gear
    good shows all

I love me some Eddie Izzard!
This discussion has been closed.