January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

@RunsOnEspresso Do you know if you have a local Celiac organization that does a run? Ours is in it's third year, and I'll run it this year. I feel so fortunate to live where I do (near Denver). Pretty much everything everywhere has a GF option (sometimes the safety for Celiacs is questionable, but definitely abundant options).

We have local groups but I've yet to find a run through them. And I don't normally do the group stuff because it's about an hour drive on a good day. I've gotten emails for races in LA but not Phoenix. Yah, the safety part is the hard part. Sometimes the wait staff looks at you like you're speaking a foreign language. I won't go back to one place because 1) the food isn't that good and 2) I told them I had celiac, couldn't have gluten, ordered from gf menu and even specified what the menu said and they still brought me a plate with gluten. I had to send it back & hoped they actually remade it and didn't spit in it. I didn't get sick but it wasn't worth it for bad food.

I love Denver. I was there months before my diagnosis so I got to enjoy gluten there. LOL
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    2.75 miles on elliptical machine. 2 days in a row got to keep it going

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Then I took her driving around the neighborhood to see what it's like to drive in the "snow" all 1/2" of it. It was icy underneath so it was a good chance to have her see what it's like to slide and what to do.
    Good thinking there. It takes practice to get used to ice. Speaking of which :# I may have done a 180 and ended up in the ditch on the opposite side of the road this morning....ice....gggrrr :o:( on the plus side, dropped it into 4by and gunned it and got back out.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    01/01/18 - 3 miles
    01/02/18 - 4 miles
    01/03/18 - 4 miles
    01/04/18 - 3 miles
    01/05/18 - Cross train
    01/06/18 - 6 miles
    01/07/18 - REST
    01/08/18 - 3 miles
    01/09/18 - 4.5 miles
    01/10/18 - 3.5
    01/11/18 - 3
    01/12/18 - Cross Train Les Mills BodyPump/CXWORX
    01/13/18 - 8
    01/14/18 - REST
    01/15/18 - 3
    01/16/18 - 5

MTD: 47 miles
    JAN GOAL: 80 miles

YTD: 47 miles
    2018 GOAL: 1000 miles

Upcoming (and hopeful) Races:
    02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/02/18 - Gluten free Gallop 5k (hubby and daughter have Celiac so this one's personal)
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon
    07/xx/18 - Something on a trail TBD
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/xx/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort TBD

Went from 6 degrees to 26 degrees in about 2 hours. Was sweaty by the time I got home. Great run, though, and glad I didn't miss my miles. Tomorrow is a tempo run. I'd really like to make the most of it and not battle ice in the early AM, so I'm planning on the treadmill at the Y.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the congrats on Skip! I appreciate all the kind words.
    @kgirlhart My 10K best time is 59 minutes and I do a HM in 2:11 (PR) to 2:22 (worst time), you’ll be fine with the cut off. A gal I work with walks HMs and does 3 ½ hours. I second everything @MobyCarp said.
    @dreamer12151 sometimes technology sucks
    @RunsOnEspresso I saw the Peloton treadmill, the bike is the ones that calls my name…or maybe I just like the commercials ha ha
    @MNLittleFinn glad your spin out didn’t turn out worse. Ice is definitely not a friend of the driver.

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I always want the bike when I see the commercials. Then once I looked up the price and laughed. Well, it's more that you have to pay $4K for it and then to use all the features you have to pay $40/month.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 I had not thought about taking cutback weeks, but that makes a lot of sense. This group has been so helpful. I really feel like I can look at a few plans and then come up with a plan of my own. How does a taper differ from a cutback week? And how much (if any) do you need to taper for a HM?

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kgirlhart good questions! A cutback week should look very similar to the first week of a taper. In both cases you're letting your body (and your mind) take it a bit easier for recovery. A taper week is just followed by another taper, or finished with a race.

here's a short discussion about cutback weeks: http://racepacejess.com/dos-donts-cutback-week/

I've only run two HM's and actively trained for just one of those so there are going to be more experienced runners who will add there thoughts, but for me, a 2 week taper is about right for a half. One example of a taper might look like this:

0f4h277d542x.jpg

That 13.1 on the last Saturday is the race of course. During that last week I'd skip hills and limit speedwork to strides, or periods of a minute or two of slowly ramping up speed to your 5K pace then slowly ramping back down to an easy pace. This will keep your muscles ready for a faster, more efficient pace without wearing them out.

• ddmm2013
    ddmm2013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes I agree with you, when you're moving when it's this cold it's all good, the minute you stop, it gets cold fast.