Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

Options

Replies

• Honey5
    Honey5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The UK also has a petition that started before the one in the US. Freestyle does not work for a lot of people so don't feel bad if it did not work for you.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/432/867/993/smart-points-to-be-re-added-as-an-additional-option/
  • gransassy
    gransassy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I joined WW on Jan7! because I wanted to eat more carbs . I also logged the free foods . I stayed within my point range , exercised, drank
    the water and did not use all of the weekly points. I lost 0 . I was afraid it would not work for me . I am giving it one more week but am also logging everything on MFP and eating within their mscro suggestions .Bummet
  • kaykayb93
    kaykayb93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a WW member, and I use both MFP and WW app to ensure that even on free foods I am not over indulging - its pretty easy to do it that way - and for me personally I enjoy weight watchers so I am clearly bias here

I think the new flex system is aiming to encourage people to eat better and more nutritious meals - I get that WW is about flexibility and 'eating what you want', in a way, but you see a lot of people on connect still eating pretty nutritionally poor meals.

By 0 pointing fish/chicken/egg and all veggies people can technically eat more and feel fuller on fewer calories. Thats what I have found anyway.

x
  • I_Golf
    I_Golf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a WW lifetime member from years ago, losing my weight back when the plan counted food exchanges. I also did well with the points system in the early 2000s (winning points? Flex points?) . Once they started putting what I call a "sin tax" on certain foods, the plan stopped being right for me. I attempted the new Freestyle program, but the daily points dropped so far that the penalty points were even more noticeable. I really liked WW at one time, but calorie counting suits me much better at this point in my life and MFP has so many inspiring success stories!
  • angiemann2007
    angiemann2007 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m confused. The zero
    Point food list basically has everything i eat on it. So is the new goal not to eat any points? Because i would consistently be at zero. And those foods aren’t zero calorie so how would you know if you are at a calorie deficit? Granted, I’ve never done ww but...
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I’m confused. The zero
    Point food list basically has everything i eat on it. So is the new goal not to eat any points? Because i would consistently be at zero. And those foods aren’t zero calorie so how would you know if you are at a calorie deficit? Granted, I’ve never done ww but...

I actually know several women who have made that their goal. It seems their zero points protein portions have also doubled when they share their meals with me.
  • Honey5
    Honey5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I’m confused. The zero

That is part of the problem. People are eating too much of the zero point foods and inadvertently gaining weight.

The other problem is if you don't eat a lot of the zero point foods then you end up starving, because you have to skip a meal in order to not go over 23 points for the day.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I_Golf wrote: »
    I am a WW lifetime member from years ago, losing my weight back when the plan counted food exchanges. I also did well with the points system in the early 2000s (winning points? Flex points?) . Once they started putting what I call a "sin tax" on certain foods, the plan stopped being right for me. I attempted the new Freestyle program, but the daily points dropped so far that the penalty points were even more noticeable. I really liked WW at one time, but calorie counting suits me much better at this point in my life and MFP has so many inspiring success stories!

I did it with the Flex Points. They worked okay for me except I kept concentrating on low points foods rather than making sure I got enough protein and carbs
  • heal130
    heal130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi - Just leaving WW myself, tired of plan changing constantly having to readjust. I actually like the "foundation" of freestyle, but not logging or tracking ZERO food is not realistic. Going to give calorie counting a chance. Done giving WW $$ - my health app would not sync, not very motivating to exercise and have to hit "sync now" and nothing syncs!!
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    WW is just a glorified way to count calories!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    "The list" https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/sites/default/files/freestyle_zero_points_foods.pdf

I just bought a kg of cherries. I assure you, I can eat a kg of cherries in a day no problems (I have to have a little bowl to put the pits in to count later, b/c I will just grab a few every time I wander past). That's 500 calories right there.

I have a cherry tree in the backyard that s stupid with the amounts of cherries it produces. So I have bags with ~3kg in them frozen in the freezer. I've got no problem thawing and eating one of those. It doesn't fit my calories, but no way could I consider cherries non-calorie.

Or apples. I noticed they are listed too.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Not with the new program. They don't have so much to track now. Free foods.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

1houndgal wrote: »

Not with the new program. They don't have so much to track now. Free foods.

Wow that is crazy!
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This wasn't my experience.
    The zero point foods account for some of my diet, the rest was covered by the points.
    I never skipped a meal to keep in my points.
    There are weekly points too, plus points gained by exercise.

The sole reason I left WW was to save the costs. When I did dual tracking a couple of days, I found that the calories came out really low.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    I am not really a fan of freestyle. I was on it a bit and actually lost just fine. I had learned from when they changed to points plus that you have to severely limit free foods of you won't lose. 2or 3 servings a day is usually good for me. Weighing and tracking is good too. I found another app that offers the classic points program that was called Momentum or Turaround and it is working well for me. I just downloaded Mfp on my phone because I like the community and I have been kind of checking out what I prefer. I don't know why WW started offering free foods and giving huge false penalties for foods deemed unhealthy. It's crazy.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    I was super hungry on freestyle, not satisfied, and it wasn't sustainable. So I quit.