For the people who eliminated sugar from your diet, how did you do it?

Options
I am always amazed by people who can eliminate sugar from their diet. I have tried, but I am finding it hard. I love my fruits, vegetables, and dairy but all of those have at least some sugar in them and I don't think I can cut them out completely.

What is the secret to the people who said they cut out all sugar? Anyone with an open diary I can look at?

Replies

• xproofx
    xproofx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy fruit, veg and dairy, why are you trying to cut them out?

Sugar is not the devil

I don't plan to, believe me. I am just amazed at the people who cut out all sugar and gave those up.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    xproofx wrote: »
    If you enjoy fruit, veg and dairy, why are you trying to cut them out?

Sugar is not the devil

I don't plan to, believe me. I am just amazed at the people who cut out all sugar and gave those up.

I think they would be a-kin to unicorns.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar entirely is not only extremely difficult. It is also completely unnecessary and unhealthy.
    Following this approach carries the potential for micronutrient deficiencies, lack of fiber...it's just not good.

BTW, sugar isn't bad for you. In fact, it's vital to your survival. If you don't eat it, your body will produce it from other sources in order to keep you alive.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Don't cut out vegetables and fruits. Or dairy.

I cut way back on foods with added sugars. I started reading labels. It's a challenge because so far (in the U.S.) most packaged foods don't differentiate between the sugar that's naturally occurring and added sugars, so you have to read and compare. Take pasta sauce for example. Some brands would have 8 grams (ish) per serving, the sugar in tomatoes, others would have 15 for the same serving size. Bread: the tiny amount needed for bread, versus the kinds with more added sugars (several kinds, usually). Then I read the ingredients and could see why.

You have to know all the names of sugar in foods.

I did this... about 17 years ago now. I basically cut way back on all heavily processed so-called convenience foods. It's doable. And for me, I think it helped with appetite and my ability to achieve my diet goals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    ...and here we go. What, ten posts in?

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There is sugar and there is sugar