Do I need to lose weight?

Options
Am 5'6. In 2013, I was almost 200 pounds and a size 12. After dieting and exercising, I was 117 pounds and a size 0-2 by 2015. I'm now 148-151 pounds (according to every scale I've tried including the doctor's office) but I haven't changed in size at all. At ALL. But I'm too close to technically being overweight and want to get back to 117. I feel like I'm in a pickle. Help?

ddjlvc8ayb2y.jpg

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,680 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose an ounce let alone a pound.

That too (absent the previously invisible deposits I've so far failed to spot)!
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You're doing an excellent job of hiding your invisible fat deposits! I.e. where are you planning on finding 30lbs to lose:grey_question:

Idk but it's gotta be somewhere... :s
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Life is personal so do what you want to do BUT to be honest you already look skinny so if anything losing fat should not be on your mind. :)
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2018
    Options
    At 5'6" and 117 lb you were in a size 0-2. Now at 148 lb what size are you in?

How long were you able to maintain at 117? When you look at yourself nude in a mirror, do you like what you see?

My wife is 5'6" and doesn't exercise. You could very well have more muscle mass than her and be perfect at 148 while she'd have some excess fat at 148.

I don't exercise either. I did weight training in 2015 then stopped by mid-2016. Now I just walk around. I'm still a size 0-2 (wearing my same old clothes). But I want my weight back down. Carrying excess weight isn't healthy in the long term (plus diabetes and heart conditions run in my dad's side).
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Are you at an unhealthy weight level?

There is no extra benefit by being more normal than normal weight. It is a range because hey it's a range... and the whole range has similar characteristics for the population of people who are in it. Still doesn't really say anything about you as an individual.

I also note that current research seems to indicate no particular problems in the low overweight range as people get older and extra problems closer to the underweight range.

Do you have a physical once in a while? Is your doctor concerned about anything?
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If your weight has changed abruptly by 30lbs or you have swelling anywhere....see a doctor, of course....but otherwise... hmmm... you look slim and trim?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 117 lb you were in a size 0-2. Now at 148 lb what size are you in?

How long were you able to maintain at 117? When you look at yourself nude in a mirror, do you like what you see?

My wife is 5'6" and doesn't exercise. You could very well have more muscle mass than her and be perfect at 148 while she'd have some excess fat at 148.

I don't exercise either. I did weight training in 2015 then stopped by mid-2016. Now I just walk around. I'm still a size 0-2 (wearing my same old clothes). But I want my weight back down. Carrying excess weight isn't healthy in the long term (plus diabetes and heart conditions run in my dad's side).

As several others indicated ... I don't see you needing to lose. My wife did lose a lot of weight and when she got to 135 her doctor demanded that she get a Dietitians help to arrest the decline.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You definitely do not look like you have weight to lose, at least from your photo there. Did you run bulk cycles to gain muscle and get up to that weight? Or did it just happen suddenly? What does your doctor say?

If you are happy with how you look and your body composition, then I wouldn't worry too much. I am 5'7 and I would love to be heavier.. my ultimate goal is around your weight.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just weight and BMI can be misleading in some cases, e.g. where people have very high muscle mass. I recommend taking some measurements and looking at other common health metrics like hip to waist ratio, or estimates of body fat percentage (these are typically pretty crude, but may still be a useful guideline) to assess your health more meaningfully. Simply from those photos, it doesn't look at all as if you need to lose weight, but the measurements I mentioned should give you some objective reassurance - or, ask your doctor.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You definitely do not look like you have weight to lose, at least from your photo there. Did you run bulk cycles to gain muscle and get up to that weight? Or did it just happen suddenly? What does your doctor say?

If you are happy with how you look and your body composition, then I wouldn't worry too much. I am 5'7 and I would love to be heavier.. my ultimate goal is around your weight.

Thank you :) xoxo. And no. I have a fear of bulking actually.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    Are you 100% sure that you were 117 lbs in 2015?

Is it possible that was an inaccurate reading (low batteries, scale on carpet, ect) and you haven't really gained that much weight?

I used the same scales I did now. That includes being weighed at the doctor's (have been going there since 2014).
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Without a hardcore weightlifting regimine, it seems unlikely to be muscle, so the only thing I can think of is possibly visceral fat? But that would be a lot of visceral fat without any visible subcutaneous so that doesn't make sense to me either. I would talk to your doctor but not worry about it too much. If you want to lower the number on the scale, go for it, but you don't look like you need to at all.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

*alarm bells ringing*

Um...I think you should talk to a professional about this. Not just about the mysterious 30lbs which somehow have not caused any visible difference nor caused any increase in clothing size, but this fear of "bulking".

I've been huge before when I was obese. Why would I let myself go back?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

*alarm bells ringing*

Um...I think you should talk to a professional about this. Not just about the mysterious 30lbs which somehow have not caused any visible difference nor caused any increase in clothing size, but this fear of "bulking".

I've been huge before when I was obese. Why would I let myself go back?

I run bulk/cut cycles, but they're not for everyone... they're very goal-specific and I don't see not wanting to bulk as an alarm bell!

OP, I agree you have nothing to lose. I'd check in with a doctor about this.