Weight Gain on 1200cal and 5 Miles a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• newmanc0299
    newmanc0299 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there, You may want to have your thyroid checked just in case- that seems like enough gain to warrant a visit to ensure that there is nothing else going on.

Aside from that, here are some comments and notes I've found helpful
    I posted these elsewhere recently but there are a variety of factors that matter…bottomline is that it’s not all about calories and cardio…

The other thing to remember is that you may be swapping out muscle weight for fat weight... take your measurements, those are important too. This is particularly true if you aren't significantly overweight. While a lb is a lb... muscle takes up less space...

This is incredible----THANK YOU
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hi there, You may want to have your thyroid checked just in case- that seems like enough gain to warrant a visit to ensure that there is nothing else going on.

I posted these elsewhere recently but there are a variety of factors that matter…bottomline is that it’s not all about calories and cardio…

The other thing to remember is that you may be swapping out muscle weight for fat weight... take your measurements, those are important too. This is particularly true if you aren't significantly overweight. While a lb is a lb... muscle takes up less space...

Also If you utilize a strength training regimen, you can expect to gain 3 to 5 lbs. of muscle mass in three to four months, bringing your net caloric effect to 15 to 30 calories per day. The best way to benefit from the calorie-burning potential of your muscles is to actually use them. Your basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories your body uses when you are at rest, typically accounts for 60 to 75 percent of the calories you burn in a day.
    <snip>
    mmapags wrote: »

This is incredible----THANK YOU

It is a biological impossibility to to "swap out" fat for muscle weight. As a woman with your stats, you can effectively lose .5 to .75 lbs per week. You can effectively gain .5 to 1 lbs of muscle per month under the right conditions. And a severe deficit with lot's of cardio are not those conditions.

I was going to say the same thing, until I reread the above. Bolded for emphasis. There's still a tiny bit of woo, but it's sufficiently moderated to be effectively benign.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    OP, I've just picked up again. Dancers use their muscles differently. thinking bar and positions here, Yes, incorporate your established movements. I'm sorry you are no longer dancing. I know it is difficult to keep up. My granddaughter did the same when she entered the workforce.

All the very best.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and 135 (but not 20 lol). I find the water weight I retain from exercise at this weight is a lot more significant than when I was heavier (aka I had more fat). That said though, I would agree that it would seem you are probably drastically undereating if you are only eating 1200 (and you are sure you are eating 1200 because you are appropriately weighing and measuring your food intake) and doing that much exercise, you risk loss of muscle along with the fat that will eventually come off.

It would probably help if you opened up your diary for others to take a look. Often the answers are found in the logging.

I've found the same thing -- I've always kept a close eye on my weight, and it's only when I've been leaner that I've *really* noticed the fluctuations.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would suggest a fancy scale that measures BMI, Fat percentage, water percentage and muscle percentage. That way you can see if it is muscle gain or water

Those scales are hugely inaccurate for measuring BF%. Consumer Reports won't even test or make recommendations for them anymore due to being so wildly inaccurate.

They are known to be innacurate, but they can give you a point of reference. Just take the numbers with a grain of salt and focus on moving them the direction you need to.

I would not use the bf% in these scales as a point of reference at all. I own one of these scales and track my fluctuations through out the day for weight trends. On the scale my bf% will change by as much as 5% through out the day based on my normal fluctuations around fluid retention. My body fat percentage does not actually alter back and forth every day. And based on the dexa scan I had just over a year ago the scale has never been within 3% of my actual percentage either
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?

I didn't realize it wasn't enough! Even my nutritionist told me to stay around 1200 because we don't really realize how little we burn.

Really? So how did your nutritionist determine your BMR? I think you need a new one, this one is suspect.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would suggest a fancy scale that measures BMI, Fat percentage, water percentage and muscle percentage. That way you can see if it is muscle gain or water

Those scales are hugely inaccurate for measuring BF%. Consumer Reports won't even test or make recommendations for them anymore due to being so wildly inaccurate.

Absolutely! My Aria tells me I'm around 21% body fat, but I just had a DXA scan and I'm actually 24.8. That's a really big difference!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    cwolfman has a very good point. If your body is not used to the idea of doing so much exercise, it will take some time to settle down and to become happy with all you are expecting of it. Not eating back calories earned or part is adding stresses to your systems and may impeded your recovery from these runs. It is possible one rest day is insufficient for yourself.

I question how over weight you are because if you are close to a good weight for your height it is going to be more difficult to loose 1 or even 1/2 a lb a week. You are taller than myself and at less than my goal, (if this makes sense to you). I would be inclined to change my activity level from sedentary to active, and loss to half or one lb a week. Then out of interest, see what calorific level would enable you to maintain to achieve a good all round view, so you can define your actual goals.

Possibly running is not the exercise you need, some find resistance helps, low weights and that sort of thing helping achieve a more sculpted look.

Also if you are female, the dreaded event can have a dramatic impact on those scales.

thank you :) I used to be a ballet dancer, but I stopped recently, so maybe I will reincorporate some of those activities.

The problem with being a ballet dancer is the high occurence of eating disorders in that profession. Why did you stop ballet anyway? Have you wetter had eating issues as a dancer? I wish you well which ever way you choose to go.
  • newmanc0299
    newmanc0299 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    cwolfman has a very good point. If your body is not used to the idea of doing so much exercise, it will take some time to settle down and to become happy with all you are expecting of it. Not eating back calories earned or part is adding stresses to your systems and may impeded your recovery from these runs. It is possible one rest day is insufficient for yourself.

I question how over weight you are because if you are close to a good weight for your height it is going to be more difficult to loose 1 or even 1/2 a lb a week. You are taller than myself and at less than my goal, (if this makes sense to you). I would be inclined to change my activity level from sedentary to active, and loss to half or one lb a week. Then out of interest, see what calorific level would enable you to maintain to achieve a good all round view, so you can define your actual goals.

Possibly running is not the exercise you need, some find resistance helps, low weights and that sort of thing helping achieve a more sculpted look.

Also if you are female, the dreaded event can have a dramatic impact on those scales.

thank you :) I used to be a ballet dancer, but I stopped recently, so maybe I will reincorporate some of those activities.

The problem with being a ballet dancer is the high occurence of eating disorders in that profession. Why did you stop ballet anyway? Have you wetter had eating issues as a dancer? I wish you well which ever way you choose to go.

I was actually following it as a career, and I realized I wanted to get a degree instead. I never really felt bad because I was always thin. I suppose I never really ate much to begin with.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    For all we know you had so little energy availability during your dancing career you may have just finished growing up!

Maybe vintage or some other ex dancers/gymnasts can help but the general eating practices in the community are in the ED spectrum and heavily weighted (no pun) to under-eating and competitively unhealthy behavior.

Having whacked up hormones after years of doing all this would not be surprising.

ETA: seriously checking thyroid, hormone levels, bone densities, etc with a dr or endocrinologist who has worked with ex dancers/gymnasts may be a good idea if you can do it.

Much more prevalent in the dance community for sure. In the case of elite sports it can delay growing and puberty (which is what happened to me with gymnastics) and not because I didn't eat like a horse, I did, but you need so much food/calories for training 5+ days a week on top of usual kid stuff and growing. When I quit I shot up and out and hit puberty alarmingly fast relatively speaking.

With dancing it very much depends what and where you train. The philosophy and culture, spoken or unspoken, within the studio and students is really the main factor. Both places I trained were really relaxed with only a couple girls clearly having actual EDs.

But yes, there can developmental delays and restrictions depending on how long, how hard and how often you train in conjunction with food intake.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I am a former dancer and all my friends eat 700 calories a day and run 6-8 miles, so I thought I was doing quite a lot in terms of calorie consumption/less exercise.

How "former" are you if you are only 20? And ballet unfortunately has an issue with unrealistic body image and some of the dancers develop eating disorders. 700 calories a day at that age and also running and/or exercising and dancing is not healthy.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?

I didn't realize it wasn't enough! Even my nutritionist told me to stay around 1200 because we don't really realize how little we burn.

Really? So how did your nutritionist determine your BMR? I think you need a new one, this one is suspect.

Truth! I burn 1500 just by being alive
  • lingreg2198
    lingreg2198 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m 5 ‘5 eat 1250-1300 a day, do 0 exercise and have a completely sedentary job, am 32 years old and weigh 115. Something isn’t right esp if you weighed 110 in August. I’d go get your thyroid levels checked.