350+ pounds Support for Men & Women

Options

Replies

• alevans4
    alevans4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    @fatoldladyonamission have you checked out the Leslie Sansone walking videos? There are a few free ones on YouTube. It’s basically walking in place with a few simple moves added in, but I loved them when I first started. They’re easy to modify based on your needs. Some people find her annoying, but I think she’s a lot of fun!
    Totally going to try that.
  • cassie9393
    cassie9393 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @Mellykay88 Totally agree; the Leslie Sansone walking videos can be a little annoying, but they're low-impact and easy to follow along. A great way to start exercising! Thanks for bringing her up; I have one of her DVDs but haven't pulled it out in a long time.
    Weirdly, I feel guilty when I exercise at home because I have a dog and know that if I'm up and moving, I should be doing something that will involve her since I don't do enough in general... so then I don't at all. Stupid, really. I hate to say it, but I'm probably just making excuses for myself. So I'm going to go take the dog for a walk here in a bit!
    @fatoldladyonamission if you keep on with your food stuff, then you'll be able to go to the beach before you know it! Especially if you start working on some cardio/strength training at home! To heck with those people who judge - they should respect anyone who's willing to get up and try to make a change, and if they don't, that's their problem! Easier said than done, I know, and I get all embarrassed when I'm panting as I walk up my last hill, but I figure the only way I'll be able to do it without getting out of breath is to keep at it until it's easier.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    @Mellykay88 Wow thanks for that. As soon as hubby is our of the house I'm going to give that a go.

I too feel guilty about not taking the dogs out but they still get walked as we have a dog walker who comes 4 times a week. Otherwise I'd feel really awful.

@cassie9393 that's exactly why I'm keeping going. Have been offered the use of a friend's home treadmill so going to take her up on that and borrow it for a few months until I feel confident enough to get out again. Roll on summer evening walks to the beach!
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    [quote=

This is what I need to do. I can't yet face attempting to walk outside because I feel like I'll be watched and judged (thanks to those so called friends talking about me like they did). [/quote]

TBH I think 99% of people respect you for your effort. And if they don't they aren't someone you want in your life and aren't worth the worry. Head outside and just try to go a little farther each day. If you can't go farther thats fine too cause soon you will.
  • mathdad41
    edited January 2018
    Options
    oops...I did the quote wrong. :/
  • pstimie79
    pstimie79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Heather. I'm 428.8 as of the other day. I've gained a lot of weight in the past 5 years. I'm an emotional eater. I just started seeing a dietitian. I'll see her once a week for now. I just started keeping a food log. I could use all the motivation and friends!

hi welcome, we are here to help and support one another, feel free to ask anything . Keeping a log of what u eat is a good way of motivation, well for me it is.
  • pstimie79
    pstimie79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Morning or evening to everyone, started day 4 very positive, as i peaked at the scale this morning and was very surprised at what i saw, i still have about 3days of my first week left, so lets see.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    mathdad41 wrote: »
    [quote=

This is what I need to do. I can't yet face attempting to walk outside because I feel like I'll be watched and judged (thanks to those so called friends talking about me like they did).

TBH I think 99% of people respect you for your effort. And if they don't they aren't someone you want in your life and aren't worth the worry. Head outside and just try to go a little farther each day. If you can't go farther thats fine too cause soon you will. [/quote]

Thank you. I think it's more my personal perception I need to change a bit because I absolutely don't yet have the confidence to just get out there. I wish I did. But maybe doing the walking video and the treadmill will leave me feeling more confident about doing it. That's what I'm hoping anyway!
  • drjudybrown
    drjudybrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for encouraging words and sticking with it.. time posting on a community blog is time away from snacking, I don’t know about you, but grease on my phone and iPad make it difficult to type. I will continue to read your stories, very helpful to me. We want to feel good ..why else would we do this right? I have positive news, down 2.0 pounds this week, week 2. Quite happy. News will not always be positive but hoping my attitude stays that way. Happy Friday and Stay Strong for the weekend. Cold in the NorthEast part of the states so all walking/grooving will definitely be indoors.
  • alevans4
    alevans4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think it's more my personal perception I need to change a bit because I absolutely don't yet have the confidence to just get out there. I wish I did. But maybe doing the walking video and the treadmill will leave me feeling more confident about doing it. That's what I'm hoping anyway!
    I get this. I don't like people to see me struggle with anything, especially things that are easy for most of people. I didn't go outside to walk until I was fairly confident I could do reasonably well. One thing I want to do at some point is work with a physical trainer, but I also really don't because I don't want them to see all the extra skin flab flopping around while I workout.

What you describe is pretty much how I started out. I would do chair workouts on Youtube at home and walk around inside. At work I'd go outside to a little platform where no one can really see and walk around in circles. It all does add up.

• CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am starting my journey at 350lbs after having my first child 2 months ago.

We are starting at the same weight! I’m trying to lose so my husband and I can start a family so we are doing it together! Hopefully I see you over at the other board!
  • lmcclatchie
    lmcclatchie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello to the new people joining the thread!

I forgot to weigh in the morning... doh!! LOL
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    alevans4 wrote: »
    I get this. I don't like people to see me struggle with anything, especially things that are easy for most of people. I didn't go outside to walk until I was fairly confident I could do reasonably well. One thing I want to do at some point is work with a physical trainer, but I also really don't because I don't want them to see all the extra skin flab flopping around while I workout.

What you describe is pretty much how I started out. I would do chair workouts on Youtube at home and walk around inside. At work I'd go outside to a little platform where no one can really see and walk around in circles. It all does add up.

You’re spot on there Bert. It’s doing the little bits that can then add up to more. Having hubby home this week hasn’t helped with that though as I’ve just avoided doing anything rather than have him comment or smile supportively at me. He wouldn’t put me down or anything but I’m not at the point of being able to do it with him around yet. Sad but true. I am deliberately doing more walking when I’m out, parking further from everything or doing two trips rather than cramming things into one. Sadly though because I actually work from my home office most days I really don’t get that many steps in. Average is a sad 3500 and today was a measly 2000 ish. That said I’ve no excuse for not doing something early morning when I finally feel confident enough to get out, I don’t have to start til 9.15!
  • leeonmcdaniel
    leeonmcdaniel Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've really been down in the dumps since yesterday. I woke up to a severe knee pain and could barley put any weight on it. Went to a Ortho Walk-in clinic and had MRI done and the Doctor tells me there is no swelling/inflammation, tearing, or anything. Says everything looks fine and I just need to lose weight. This hit me hard being as I have been trying really hard for the past 2 weeks to lose weight. However on a more chipper note I thought I weighed a certain amount ( due to not being able to find a scale to read my weight ) and at the Ortho's office I found out I was subsequently lower in my weight than I thought I was. This made up for it a little bit, but this injury is really keeping from performing my best, and I'm hoping the pain subsides soon this has been going on for a little to long
  • mathdad41
    Options
    I've really been down in the dumps since yesterday. I woke up to a severe knee pain and could barley put any weight on it. Went to a Ortho Walk-in clinic and had MRI done and the Doctor tells me there is no swelling/inflammation, tearing, or anything. Says everything looks fine and I just need to lose weight. This hit me hard being as I have been trying really hard for the past 2 weeks to lose weight. However on a more chipper note I thought I weighed a certain amount ( due to not being able to find a scale to read my weight ) and at the Ortho's office I found out I was subsequently lower in my weight than I thought I was. This made up for it a little bit, but this injury is really keeping from performing my best, and I'm hoping the pain subsides soon this has been going on for a little to long

You'll get there. Keep you're head up and don't get discouraged. Post on here and we will all try to help as much as we can. We can all lift each other up

Same to you@fatoldladyonamission Soon you will need to change your username too :)
  • rabidhamster87
    rabidhamster87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had a lot of catching up to do on this board. That'll teach me to stay away from it for a day!

@Mellykay88 You know, I had a coworker who lost 80 lbs using those walking videos! And she didn't even have as much to lose as us. I think she had to be about a size 4 by the time she was finished. Thank you for the link. I've always remembered it because when I talked to her about how she did it, she would always just say it was these videos, but I've never looked into them myself for... reasons? (I'm lazy I guess!) Now I have no excuse. I can just click the link right there!
    I am deliberately doing more walking when I’m out, parking further from everything or doing two trips rather than cramming things into one.

I'm trying to get more steps in the same way pretty much. I don't work from home, but I do sit for most of the day, so the past few weeks I've been trying my best to be more active at work, jumping up to ask if other people need help, getting up and putting away the media as soon as they deliver it... I think it's making me a better worker in general!

alevans4 wrote: »
    I don't like people to see me struggle with anything, especially things that are easy for most of people.

I can completely identify with this too. My fiance is 6'2, thin (compared to me!), and walks like he's on a mission; I get so embarrassed and cranky because I have to constantly remind him that I can't keep up with him... even just walking from the car into the grocery store I'm literally holding him back. It will be nice if one day I can outpace him instead.

cassie9393 wrote: »
    Weirdly, I feel guilty when I exercise at home because I have a dog and know that if I'm up and moving, I should be doing something that will involve her since I don't do enough in general... so then I don't at all. Stupid, really. I hate to say it, but I'm probably just making excuses for myself. So I'm going to go take the dog for a walk here in a bit!

I just need to say thanks for motivating me to walk our dogs tonight too!! I'm always thinking, "Oh, I'll walk them tomorrow... I'm tired right now," or, "It's too dark right now," or, "It's too cold," etc. I'm going to just get out there and do it right now though! I can handle a walk around the block even if it IS dark and cold. It's not like I'm trekking across the country!