Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

For young women dedicated to low carb

Options

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kimny72 I was just thinking that!

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Also in the actual study:

"An alternative interpretation of our results is that the observed association between restricted carbohydrate intake and NTDs is mediated at least in part by caloric restriction or poor diet quality in general, which have been previously associated with NTDs (Carmichael, Shaw, Schaffer, Laurent, & Selvin, 2003; Carmichael, Yang, & Feldkamp, 2012; Sotres-Alvarez et al., 2013; Suarez, Felkner, Brender, & Canfield, 2012). "
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So basically, inadequate folic acid intake is bad? That's been known for a very long time and it's been recommended women trying to get pregnant should supplement regardless of dietary choices.

Yes, this.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    From the study:

"Mean dietary intake of folic acid among women with restricted carbohydrate intake was less than half that of other women (p < .01), and women with restricted carbohydrate intake were slightly more likely to have an infant with an NTD (AOR = 1.30, 95% CI: 1.02, 1.67)."

From the Science Daily article: "Folic acid is an essential nutrient that minimizes the risk of neural tube defects. More than 20 percent of women in the U.S. have blood folate concentrations below the recommended level to reduce risk of neural tube defects. For this reason, in 1998 the Food and Drug Administration began requiring that folic acid be added to enriched grain products. Desrosiers and her study collaborators found that dietary intake of folic acid among women with restricted carbohydrate intake was less than half of other women.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that all women who may become pregnant take a daily multivitamin with at least 400 micrograms of folic acid every day before and during pregnancy. However, because almost half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unplanned, many women do not initiate folic acid supplementation until later in pregnancy, after a neural tube defect may have occurred. This makes fortified foods an important source of folic acid for women who may become pregnant."
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    So BECAUSE women restricted their carbs and did NOT take supplements, their folic acid levels were lower.

That's a stretch and it is not what it said.

If the culprit could have been the acid folic only, it is pretty much obvious that they would have reported a link with these defects and the lack of acid folic, not the low carb as they reported.

Instead of "Low carbohydrate diets may increase risk of neural tube defects", it would have been something like "Low acid folic may increase risk of neural tube defects"

Not only is that not a jazzy headline, as kimny said, it's well-known and not a subject of research. The importance of folic acid for pregnant women (and women who may become pregnant) is already conclusively established.

The connection between low carbing and women (who become pregnant unplanned or otherwise without having started supplements) being deficient for the purposes of pregnancy is what this seems to be about. Important for someone low carbing with the potential/likelihood of becoming pregnant to supplement, IMO (or be very careful with the diet, but supplementation is recommended for anyone trying to get pregnant).
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    -

• Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all of that. I had to be low carb when I was pregnant due to gestational diabetes. Both pregnancies. My babies were kicking and screaming when they were born, perfectly healthy, and they are still kicking and screaming and at 10 and 15, perfectly healthy.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Edited :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In for click bait and not connecting the dots...

And not knowing how to vet sources. And biting on clickbait headlines rather than reading the actual studies referenced in their entirety.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Not even going to click on a daily fail link, sorry OP...

I've made that mistake before, it's taken me years of therapy but I've almost completely recovered.