Eat your carbs

Options
I’ve come across a lot of people who absolutely avoid carbs at all cost, why? Im pretty sure carbs will not turn into fat. —Carbohydrates turn into glucose, which your body burns immediately or converts to glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver for between meals. If you eat more calories from carbs or other sources than your body can use, the cells store the excess as fat.

I understand the benefits of GOOD fats and whole fats via flax, avo, chia, and many more but this whole keto diet is insane.... Other than needed for medical conditions.... which that’s how the keto diet was created through dr trying to help patients with seizures...

I’ve also realized people with a high metabolism can better handle a keto diet.... so all you endomorphs beware....

I tried the keto diet for one month and I put on weight while also having excessive oil secretion from my pours so I smelled

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As with most things... there's a time and a place for both. The trick is knowing the difference, and knowing how to apply them to your needs/goals/preferences.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I’ve come across a lot of people who absolutely avoid carbs at all cost, why?

If you mean why do people do low carb, some find they are less hungry or more able to be satisfied on their calories doing that. Others find they control calories without counting, which they like, or control blood sugar issues (IR), or just tend to eat better as it gives them a reason they accept for cutting way down on foods they tend to overeat or which provoke cravings.
    Im pretty sure carbs will not turn into fat.

They can, but it makes no difference. Excess calories lead to added fat, whatever the macro mix. So if they control calories better on low carb, they may have an easier time losing or not gaining.
    Carbohydrates turn into glucose, which your body burns immediately or converts to glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver for between meals. If you eat more calories from carbs or other sources than your body can use, the cells store the excess as fat.

Yes, exactly.
    I’ve also realized people with a high metabolism can better handle a keto diet.... so all you endomorphs beware....

I don't think people have a "high metabolism" or not, and lots of people who do well on keto were quite overweight, probably because it can be helpful for people with IR. (Endomorphs is not a real thing.)
    I tried the keto diet for one month and I put on weight while also having excessive oil secretion from my pours so I smelled

Sounds like it didn't work for you and maybe like you could have implemented it better, but no need to, no one needs to do it.

I tried it and didn't experience any great benefits, but I thought it was fine, and I certainly did not experience excessive oil in my pores or such oil smelling. Some have a weird breath thing, but I did not.

I like many higher carb foods, though, so without benefits did not see the point for me, but I understand why others might think it is a good approach for them.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't really needed, so if you're going to get rid of anything, carbs are usually a pretty good place to start for most people. Protein and fat, on the other hand, are both necessary. Certainly you don't have to get rid of carbs, and there's nothing wrong with them, but there's nothing wrong with stocking to a low carb diet either (provided you're getting sufficient micronutrients).

I personally tend to be fairly high carb, but different people prefer different things.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Each to their own at the end of the day and if it works then do it, but I always strive for sustainability and enjoyment. I tried Keto/atkins/paleo and I honestly didn't enjoy it. I've seen lots of videos, articles and studies on low carb and there definitely is evidence of increased fat burning potential as this is what a lot of bodybuilders use a few weeks before competition.

• danc12674
    danc12674 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    danc12674 wrote: »
    I love my carbs but I’m just trying to get lean that’s why I cut my carbs for now.

You don't have to cut them out completely to get lean. Remember ultra low carbs can impact your gym performance, which will affect your results..so keep that in mind

Yes, I have noticed that I don’t lift as heavy. Also, I get tired so quickly. What I meant about cutting carbs. I meant heavy carbs like rice & bread. Thank you Sardelsa for info.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs but I’m just trying to get lean that’s why I cut my carbs for now.

You don't have to cut them out completely to get lean. Remember ultra low carbs can impact your gym performance, which will affect your results..so keep that in mind

Yes, I have noticed that I don’t lift as heavy. Also, I get tired so quickly. What I meant about cutting carbs. I meant heavy carbs like rice & bread. Thank you Sardelsa for info.

Try timing your carbs around your workouts to see if that helps.
  • danc12674
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ?
  • danc12674
    Options

I guess it makes sense to have carbs b4 workout. I’ll try that after this keto diet thing. Do you compete or something?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I guess it makes sense to have carbs b4 workout. I’ll try that after this keto diet thing. Do you compete or something?

Yea on keto that would even be difficult because your carbs are so low, but it is possible. Again up to you.. depends on your goals and all that.

I compete with myself ;) but no not in bodybuilding
  • danc12674
    Options

Yea on keto that would even be difficult because your carbs are so low, but it is possible. Again up to you.. depends on your goals and all that.

I compete with myself ;) but no not in bodybuilding

You should. Seem like you know what you’re taking about. Just saying.
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I find that I “run” better on a moderately high carb diet- 65/20/15. The days I eat more protein, I feel heavy and bloated. But I am active and eat around 23-2500 to maintain at 125lbs.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I find that I “run” better on a moderately high carb diet- 65/20/15. The days I eat more protein, I feel heavy and bloated. But I am active and eat around 23-2500 to maintain at 125lbs.

I also "run" better on a moderate to high carb diet.

I tried keto for 4 months last year (mostly out of curiosity) and was very strict. I constantly felt heavy and bloated and frequently nauseous. I never experienced the increased energy. Nothing I tried to help with my problems doing keto ever worked. I slowly started working carbs back in and all my issues disappeared practically immediately. I also experience bloating and heaviness with high protein, so really my only option is moderate to high carbs with moderate protein and moderate to low fat. Works well for me.

I don't knock keto because it didn't work for me, and it has been the only thing that controls my godson's seizures. But it is very trendy right now and I've seen it constantly touted as some sort of miracle. In reality, for the purposes of weight loss, it works like every other diet (aka CICO). And just like every other diet, it works great for some and not so great for others. To each his own.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I’ve come across a lot of people who absolutely avoid carbs at all cost, why? Im pretty sure carbs will not turn into fat. —Carbohydrates turn into glucose, which your body burns immediately or converts to glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver for between meals. If you eat more calories from carbs or other sources than your body can use, the cells store the excess as fat.

I understand the benefits of GOOD fats and whole fats via flax, avo, chia, and many more but this whole keto diet is insane.... Other than needed for medical conditions.... which that’s how the keto diet was created through dr trying to help patients with seizures...

I wouldn't quite go so far as to say the keto diet is INSANE. I agree it's excess calories that cause fat storage and those can come from any source. However when I eat low carb I naturally eat less calories. I am less hungry. I feel better and have fewer cravings. Everyone is unique. This diet suits me best. Moderate to high carb leaves me bloated and constantly hungry. Also keto seems to help control my rheumatoid arthritis. Just because I don't typically eat many carbs doesn't mean I think high carb diets are INSANE. I think everyone needs to find what works for them without judgment.