Cool Sculpting, anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This thread is so odd. No one asked if Cool Sculpting is a good way to lose weight. They asked if it was a good way to get rid of stubborn fat deposits. It is not uncommon for people to lose weight to the point where they are really skinny and still have a bit of a poof somewhere that won't budge. Suggesting that it's not effective for that is one thing, suggesting that someone who is considering it isn't willing to put in the work is rude.

Yeah, I think at least some people are really misunderstanding the question. It's funny that people generally accept the (potential) need for surgery to address loose skin, but think that all you need to address stubborn deposits at an otherwise healthy weight/body fat percentage is more willpower.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This thread is so odd. No one asked if Cool Sculpting is a good way to lose weight. They asked if it was a good way to get rid of stubborn fat deposits. It is not uncommon for people to lose weight to the point where they are really skinny and still have a bit of a poof somewhere that won't budge. Suggesting that it's not effective for that is one thing, suggesting that someone who is considering it isn't willing to put in the work is rude.

Yeah, I think at least some people are really misunderstanding the question. It's funny that people generally accept the (potential) need for surgery to address loose skin, but think that all you need to address stubborn deposits at an otherwise healthy weight/body fat percentage is more willpower.

I suspect that there's also a lot of perceived "other"-ness if you can maintain that all you need to do to obtain X type of body is to just work at it. Because if you don't have the willpower, you must Not Be Serious or You Must Be Lesser Than. And if you're "willing" to "work for it," you must be better than those fat lazy people who want an easy way out.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't know. It seems like too much of a fast and easy solution. So get cool-sculpted, but does the person change anything about their nutrition? Who knows... It's certainly not a remedy for weight loss, nor a prevention for future weight gain, it targets and kills only a fraction of the fat in the treated area. I wouldn't bother.

Of course it isn't. And no one is claiming that it is a remedy, or a prevention of future gain. Some of us just aren't getting the desired results by doing everything by the "cosmetic work bad! bad person!" approach. Because genetics can be unkind, and I can't go back in history and get a different set of ancestors.

I eat ~1550 calories (on average) a day, and work out between 5-7 days a week (and no, not just aimless walking -- we're talking half marathon training + swimming + spin + barre + moderate strength training). I don't eat back exercise calories because I use TDEE instead. I weigh everything. Literally. I track to the gram. My records are meticulous, and I cross check everything with the USDA database.

And frankly? I'm exhausted and frustrated with banging my head into the wall trying to fix my genetic fat distribution.

But by all means, please tell me about how I'm not going to change or learn anything about nutrition or fitness.

Maybe you wouldn't bother. But if throwing money at a problem takes a level of body-self-hatred off, and means that I can actually finally proportion out my waist (because quite literally, I've shed inches off my arms, hips, bust, and thighs, and not seen the same on my waist), then I'm going to do it.

if you are doing all that your body could be under stress and your cortisol levels could be raised resulting in the belly fat that wont go away.too much exercise is not good either.1550 calories doesnt seem like its enough calories for all that exercise. are you are very short person? not asking to offend you as 1500 calories seems like the very low calories for all that exercising.how many hrs a day are you doing those exercises?

Do you think I care *why* it's there at this point? No. I want it gone.

It's genetics. My grandfather was built this way, my mother is built this way, my uncle, etc. Sure, cortisol might play a role, but I'm fighting generations of individuals who are classic apples.

I'm done. I've been doing all I can do, and I've tried refeeds, and I'm seeing progress literally everywhere else.

I've had it. I'm exhausted, and I'm frustrated, and as I said above, if I can throw money at the problem and make it gone, that's what I'm going to do. And you'll note how I didn't ask for your opinion.

first of all you are on a public forum asking about it, so whether you directly asked for my opinion or not. I posted my reply as to what I thought it could be. you want to hear what you want to hear while being abrasive about it. you do what you want. if you want to waste your money so be it.But if you dont want people replying to your post them maybe you shouldnt post.

I was responding to someone who claimed that it was a quick fix. I *didn't* ask about it.

well you quoted me not the other person. not going to argue about it just saying.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    I didn’t read all the comments, but my office performs cool sculpting. You are a perfect candidate. It is safe and very effective for targeted fat reduction. It will not make a fat person thin, but it will decrease a stubborn roll by 1/4 to 1/5.

That's the big thing. From what I understand, whatever portion they are able to get into the freezing applicator, one session will generally only deal with about 25% of it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    I didn’t read all the comments, but my office performs cool sculpting. You are a perfect candidate. It is safe and very effective for targeted fat reduction. It will not make a fat person thin, but it will decrease a stubborn roll by 1/4 to 1/5.

That's the big thing. From what I understand, whatever portion they are able to get into the freezing applicator, one session will generally only deal with about 25% of it.

And they upsell you on multiple sessions. When the ridiculous TV ads first started airing, the scientist in me couldn't let it go, and I researched it. There are some extremely reputable providers in my area, but they make no guarantees of efficacy. There are some good reviews. There are some terrible reviews.
  • Divaleeorange
    Divaleeorange Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I had this done. My belly is definitely flatter, didnt lose any weight but they said it wouldn't do that. The nurse put it on my tummy pouch and love handles. I think I want to go in again for even more flatness. If you want to lose weight, you probably don't want this, but if you looking for a flatter tummy its awesome!