Dating struggles...frustrated and sad.

Options
caiteh86
caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
So, I've been overweight for the past 5 years or so, but single for almost a year now (my boyfriend actually passed away suddenly in March of 2017). In November, I decided that enough was enough and it was time to make my health and well being a priority. I started working out at least 3 times a week (heavy lifting, a bit of cardio and recently yoga at home on my off days) and counting calories, being more conscious of what I'm eating and how much. I'm loving this new lifestyle and I can tell there's been a huge shift in my thinking...I'll never go back to my old way of life, I know this. That being said, when I started in November I was 228lbs... I'm now 213, so still very overweight, but figured it was time to get back out into the dating world. I get quite a bit of attention on tinder, Bumble, etc and have gone out on numerous dates over the past few months. We always have a very nice time, the dates always last at least a couple of hours and they always end with the guy saying "I had fun, we should do this again". The only issue? I never hear from them again, unless I contact them first. Usually there's a bit of back and forth convo, maybe a few pics sent and received... but no talk of a second date. I never end up seeing them again. I've met probably 10-12 guys, 2 of them I wasn't interested in, the rest I definitely would have gone out with again if it was an option...but it wasn't. Needless to say, I feel really depressed over this and can't help but feel like I'm "too overweight" to date. I'm 31 and not getting any younger, and still have hopes and dreams of getting married and having children one day... but that's not gonna happen if things keep going like they have been. It's not like I'm only meeting a certain type of guy, either... I've met guys 10 years older, a few years younger, fit, overweight, full head of hair, bald, kids, no kids.... doesn't matter. None of them like me. :( I feel like giving up completely until I'm at my goal weight...

Replies

• W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's not you, it's them. Trust me.
    I've had the same issue, or they wait months then come back and want a second chance. Online dating is a total shitshow. There's so many options that people seem to think there will always be someone better out there, instead of trying with the awesome person in front of them.

Unfortunately, they consider this settling! :angry:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

• shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters. And, I am very sorry for your loss. I can relate to a lot of what you said, as I've been single and online dating for about four years (off and on). I wish I had some good advice for you but the right one will come along. Keep up the great work.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ...There's so many options that people seem to think there will always be someone better out there...

...or something, etc. That is all about continual marketing and visual input that people subject themselves to. People go into debt, cheat in relationships or use terms like "settle", end up with all kinds of crap they don't really need and call it necessities, and so on.

People and dating is pretty simple. There are always opportunities with all kinds of people, but the timing of making sure both people are actually ready to fully commit is the tough part. Then ignoring the hype and socializing that you need something different and that it would be better.

• caiteh86
    Options
    Wow. I just want to say thank you to everyone for the really nice responses and words of encouragement...I wasn't expecting that, but really needed it! I guess I'll just keep on keepin on... :)
  • caiteh86
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Huh?
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You’re lucky. I get 0 dates with 0 people I’m interested in. At least the numbers mean your odds are good.
  • caiteh86
    Options
    i got no advice OP, but you are really pretty in that all-american-girl kinda way that tons of guys like, so u got that goin for u <3

Aw, well thanks! <3
  • mybfisred
    mybfisred Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    missyj1115 wrote: »
    I have been single for 7 years and yes it is sad, the dating world is definitely not what it used to be! Online seems to give not only men but women a false sense of expectations that are not seemed to be met in person. I did not try dating for 2 1/2 years after my divorce just worked on myself and finding me again. In these past 4 1/2 years of putting myself out there it has been emotionally draining to say the least.

On my profiles I have actually had to put the following; I am not a cougar looking to play out your fantasy's nor am I looking for a much older sugar daddy, I am not bi looking to be a couples playmate, I am not a sub looking for her dom, I will not marry you just to help raise your 7 children, I am not the occasional hook up as you are passing through town nor am I looking for Fu** buddies!! I have been through the ringer so needless to say dates have been few and far in between for me but if you don't keep putting yourself out there are you prepared to spend the rest of your days not knowing?

I hate it I do, do they like me? Do I like them? Am I to picky? Should I settle? (HELL NO NEVER AGAIN) Am I to big? (Who the hell cares) You need to love yourself for who you are before you can expect someone to love and care for you. To all those boys who don't call back or want that second date as much as it might hurt.. Good Riddance you don't want someone in your life that doesn't want to be there.

I truly believe there is someone out there for everyone and as frustrating as it is to wait and wait and wait and wait it is a necessary evil I suppose. I am a single mom full time that works to provide a life for us and have little time to go out searching as to why I am on these sites as well. Who knows maybe one day I will have my Hallmark moment and bump into someone but for the time being I have to sift through all the frogs until I find my prince!! Good Luck to you hun and never settle no matter how much you may miss having that someone in your life, you are better than that never forget that!!!

This sums up online dating at least for ladies in a certain bracket :D