Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When lifestyle doesn't impact chronic disease

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
There is no end to studies that show how healthy lifestyles improve chronic diseases (high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, etc.) and how poor lifestyles (smoking, drinking, sedentary, fatty food, etc.) contribute to chronic disease. I keep looking for information on the outliers. Are there studies on those with chronic disease for whom lifestyle makes no difference? We all know that person who didn’t fit the data, but I can’t find data as to percentage of the population who are outliers. Are you one of those people? I am curious how many other people are out there like me. The only influence my doctors can attribute to my hypertension is heredity; lifestyle choices make no difference- but none of them can tell me how common that is.

Replies

• amandaeve
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal lol, yeah, if I had a dollar for every vegetarian friend who was told by their GP to eat less red meat!

@kommodevaran Agreed, perspective is important, and I think medicine misses that sometimes.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking my blood pressure shot up. It took me two years to get it back down. I still can't explain that one.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how common it is in the general population, but hereditary hypertension is pretty common in my mother's side of the family. My grandfather was diagnosed with high blood pressure when he was 18 and enlisting for WWII. At the time he was a skinny beanpole raised on a working farm, so definitely don't think lifestyle was a factor there! My sister was slightly older when she started meds. She's gone up and down in size over the years, but weight changes haven't ever affected her blood pressure. She's also been a pretty nutrition-conscious vegetarian for at least 25 years, so low salt, low cholesterol, high fiber and all that good stuff is a big part of her lifestyle. She's even weirder though because her BP gets lower when she's stressed.

My suspicion is that there are a lot more outliers than one might expect.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @COGypsy thank you for sharing. I also went on medication when I was 18 and a prime example of health. Until your comment, I had never heard of another teenager being diagnosed, so thank you for sharing! :smiley:
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do you count mental illnesses as chronic disease? Everyone crows about how wonderful exercise is for treating depression, but for me personally (bipolar I, mostly depression) exercise does nothing to improve my mood. The only thing that works for my mood is medication.

I worked for a year and a half in retail, walking constantly for hours a time, never standing in one place for more than a couple minutes. For me, that was exercise, because I'm typically quite sedentary. (This was before my arthritis in my knee got so bad and before I started MFP).

I had a mixed episode (manic and depressed at the same time, I was sucidial and went into a mental hospital for a week, mixed episodes are very dangerous because the mania gives you the energy to actually go through with suicide) and quit my job.

I did three months of purposeful exercise after that, still no difference in my moods. I make myself exercise to get more calories to eat and to improve my cardiovascular health, but it doesn't seem to do a thing for my mental health.

Losing weight has also not made the arthrtis/mechanical problems in my knee better. Before I started losing weight I could stand and walk for a three hour shift at work without too much pain in my knee, mostly in my feet, and some in my knee. Now, 57 pounds lighter, I can hardly walk a mile without my knee starting to hurt.

I do have mechanical problems as well as arthritis though (I had a tendon moved 15 millimeters, which is QUITE a distance), and it's unknown which is causing the pain. I haven't done any MRIs or other tests to find out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    30-50% of hypertension is inherited factors. But lifestyle can make it worse. Any scientific study looks at the outliers but that's not what makes it to the popular press.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21462849
  • amandaeve
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    30-50% of hypertension is inherited factors. But lifestyle can make it worse. Any scientific study looks at the outliers but that's not what makes it to the popular press.

@lorrpb Thank you for sharing. I am impressed 30-50% is attributed to inherited factors. This thread aside, I've yet to meet anyone who went on medication who fit any or many of the categories that fit me at diagnosis (young, female, physically fit, a healthy BMI, healthy lifestyle, following a DASH diet). I have a curiosity in finding other people like me. You'd think with numbers like that study presented, I would have met more by now.

@Zodikosis I'm impressed you lowered your RHR that much! Good job! :smile: I've also been curious about RHR averages. I've seen charts that match RHR to age and fitness level, but I've never been able to find information on how many people actually fall into what category per age group. If you have anything like that handy, please share.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    There is no end to studies that show how healthy lifestyles improve chronic diseases (high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, etc.) and how poor lifestyles (smoking, drinking, sedentary, fatty food, etc.) contribute to chronic disease. I keep looking for information on the outliers. Are there studies on those with chronic disease for whom lifestyle makes no difference? We all know that person who didn’t fit the data, but I can’t find data as to percentage of the population who are outliers. Are you one of those people? I am curious how many other people are out there like me. The only influence my doctors can attribute to my hypertension is heredity; lifestyle choices make no difference- but none of them can tell me how common that is.

I have severe digestive issues. People say to eat more fiber, fruits, veggies, lean meat, and drink more water. What they fail to understand is in my case, fiber makes it 100x worse as does tough meats. And drinking lots of water makes no difference. The unhealthier I eat, the better I feel and less hospital trips I make. My conditions are Gastroparesis and Colonic Inertia. What's even worse is there have been nutritionists who assume I have an eating disorder because I don't eat much and like being a small size. Um, yeah a slow stomach + paralyzed colon = constantly full. Not my fault. And the smaller I am, the less unnecessary food/stool weight it feels like I'm carrying = the more energy I have to get things done. Some people are pricks, I swear.

This. I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and if I were to eat 'healthily' I'd end up in hospital.
    And my lifestyle makes very little difference to my condition. Flare ups occur out of the blue and seem to bear no relation to what I've eaten how much stress I'm under or how much water I've drunk. I am at my best when I eat 'beige' food!
  • amandaeve
    Options

I have severe digestive issues. People say to eat more fiber, fruits, veggies, lean meat, and drink more water. What they fail to understand is in my case, fiber makes it 100x worse as does tough meats. And drinking lots of water makes no difference. The unhealthier I eat, the better I feel and less hospital trips I make. My conditions are Gastroparesis and Colonic Inertia. What's even worse is there have been nutritionists who assume I have an eating disorder because I don't eat much and like being a small size. Um, yeah a slow stomach + paralyzed colon = constantly full. Not my fault. And the smaller I am, the less unnecessary food/stool weight it feels like I'm carrying = the more energy I have to get things done. Some people are pricks, I swear.

This. I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and if I were to eat 'healthily' I'd end up in hospital.
    And my lifestyle makes very little difference to my condition. Flare ups occur out of the blue and seem to bear no relation to what I've eaten how much stress I'm under or how much water I've drunk. I am at my best when I eat 'beige' food!

Very interesting! However, just to clarify, this thread is about when lifestyle (including eating behaviors) have no effect on chronic conditions. Ending up in the hospital from eating certain foods is definitely an impact.
  • lorrpb
    Options

@lorrpb Thank you for sharing. I am impressed 30-50% is attributed to inherited factors. This thread aside, I've yet to meet anyone who went on medication who fit any or many of the categories that fit me at diagnosis (young, female, physically fit, a healthy BMI, healthy lifestyle, following a DASH diet). I have a curiosity in finding other people like me. You'd think with numbers like that study presented, I would have met more by now.

@Zodikosis I'm impressed you lowered your RHR that much! Good job! :smile: I've also been curious about RHR averages. I've seen charts that match RHR to age and fitness level, but I've never been able to find information on how many people actually fall into what category per age group. If you have anything like that handy, please share.

I was surprised the number was that high. But just because 30-50% of hypertension is familial, it doesn't mean all those people are leading healthy lifestyles. Young healthy fit people could have it and not have any idea because they don't go to the doctor very often. That's why hypertension is called the "silent killer." It has no external symptoms.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Often people find out afterwards that it's hereditary...so they're not leading a necessarily healthy lifestyle, but they start to and then find out it's hereditary.

I was diagnosed with mild hypertension when I was in my 20s and was 6 pack lean and fit...not bad enough to warrant meds, but was told to monitor it as they would likely be necessary in the future. My dad was diagnosed young and while not the fittest guy in the world, he was pretty lean and played tennis most weekends...and both my grandpa and great grandpa had it and they were both pretty fit and active.

In my dad's case, he blew up with weight and it exacerbated the issue and he also ended up with Type II diabetes and kidney disease.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

There's any RHR chart for Canada here:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-626-x/2013001/t004-eng.htm

It's not numbers of people, but it does have percentiles of people. (I'm not Canadian, but its the first one I found from a solid source, and I'd be surprised if the rest of the first world were wildly different.)

The post you're replying to is right, though: Individuals can vary in absolute RHR, even at similar fitness levels.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There's any RHR chart for Canada here:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-626-x/2013001/t004-eng.htm

It's not numbers of people, but it does have percentiles of people. (I'm not Canadian, but its the first one I found from a solid source, and I'd be surprised if the rest of the first world were wildly different.)

The post you're replying to is right, though: Individuals can vary in absolute RHR, even at similar fitness levels.

Thank you for some more data, @AnnPT77. So just to clarify for OP, depending on how familiar you are with statistical tables, the "outliers" would be the 5th-10th percentile, and 90-95th percentile, depending on how tightly you want to define outlier. These numbers would be the tails on a bell curve.