Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    Have you tried butter sprays? I can't believe it's not butter is one that has 0 calories but I'm not sure about fat and other bad stuff.

They are not really 0 calories. They are low enough that, for the recommended spray time, they can say they are 0, but if you use what most people would consider an adequate amount, there are some calories in there. Maybe not enough to count, but they are not 0.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i use 30 grams quick cooking oats with half cup unsweetened vanilla coconut almond milk and whatever flavorings i feel like that day. . i keep frozen cubes of pumpkin and applesauce in the freezer sometimes ill toss one of those in before microwaving for 45 seconds then add apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice. last time i think i put 4 grams truvia brown sugar and about 5 ml of sugar free maple syrup to it. and you can never go wrong with berries. I dont think ive ever put butter, never even heard of it before honestly. us mainers are weird though.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've never put butter in oatmeal, so I can't compare, but I often pick one of blueberries, strawberries, or peanut flour/pb2 to go with my oatmeal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd add blueberries (or some other berry) and protein powder, perhaps.

I also like savory oats, add an egg (sunny side up is my preference) and some veg, sauteed and cut small, with cooked spinach.

I sometimes save calories in oats by making half steel cut, half cauliflower rice -- I was skeptical, but it's good. (I like cauliflower, though.)

I've never heard of butter on oats, but no reason it wouldn't work, I suppose.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I use 40 grams of oats, 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk (30 calories) microwave for 2 minutes. Then add 18 grams of PB2, tsp cocoa powder, 2 packets of Splenda and 1/2 cup riced cauliflower. I know it sounds weird but the cauliflower blends nicely and bulks up my oatmeal.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I mix in psyllium husks with my rolled oats, 35g oats, 5g psyllium husks, pour approx 1 cup boiling water, stir to spread out the psyllium husks then add 120g frozen berries and 120g greek yogurt, mix every thing together just before eating. The psyllium husks really bulk it up
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    First, never eat those instant oatmeal packets. Loads of sugar.
    Here is what I do and everyone in the family, even the dedicated oatmeal haters love it.
    In a slow cooker, set on low, before I go to bed:
    6 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oats.
    2 apples, peeled and cored, diced into 1/2” size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 table spoon vanilla

Just dump everything into cooker, stir it up a bit and go to bed.

You’ll awake to amazing aromas and wholesome goodness. Keeps in airtight container in frig for up to a week.

Tip..I used to buy that Irish oats in a can. Good stuff but spendy. Steel cut is steel cut so I buy mine in bulk, keeps a long time.

Yum, I'm gonna try that one!
  • nkovacs53804
    nkovacs53804 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It’s amazing and no added sugar. Stores really well so the next day it can be easily warmed in microwave
  • ninalemon
    ninalemon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries and cinnamon. I cook it with the blueberries. It turns a beautiful purple :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I find oatmeal high calorie, without any crap on it. Like people wondering why they're hungry when they ate oatmeal with 600 calories that literally can be eaten in 3 bites.

That said...maybe 10g of protein powder.

I totally second this.
    I could easily eat 600 cals of oatmeal and not be full, which is unfortunate because it’s so convenient and I do like the taste. Eggs and veggies on the other hand I would be full for hours.
    Personal preference I guess!

Me, too. I absolutely love oats, but as an afternoon treat. And not often. They wreck me if I eat them in the morning. I do much better with something high fat with a little protein for my first meal of the day.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with water, then add milk for volume. I vary with vanilla, Splenda, brown sugar, banana, nuts, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, chia seeds, a tablespoon or two of heavy cream if I'm not using milk.
  • claire52975
    claire52975 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have oat with almond milk, chocolate protein powder, tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp mixed spice with a light drizzle of golden syrup.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have never put butter on my oatmeal so that seems rather odd to me. Is this a southern style like the way they do it with grits?

In any even, I just put quick oats in low fat yogurt and that's it for me. If I want to do something different I cook it with cinnamon and a bit of apple and raisins. Oatmeal is pretty bland so you can do pretty much anything, but you have to watch since you can end up with a ton of calories from the extras.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    Have you tried butter sprays? I can't believe it's not butter is one that has 0 calories but I'm not sure about fat and other bad stuff.

This myth that the spray is 0 calories gets a lot of people in trouble. That's a labeling trick but it has just as many calories as the regular margarine. I would always log it as 10 calories because it's something like 6-8 but under the labelling laws they are allowed to say it's 0. Unfortunately, your body isn't a legal representative and when you put on 4 or 5 sprays you've added almost 40-50 calories without even knowing it.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    First thing into the water is a big spoon of unflavored gelatin. It augments the protein in my steel-cut oats and improves mouth-feel. I also add a pinch of msg with the salt. And in my only concession to sweetener, I add Splenda to cut the bitterness. Nothing else on, in, or with it, except for a cup of coffee.
  • chenrio
    chenrio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »
    Oats are my absolute favourite breakfast - I eat them before I head to the gym. They keep me full for a few hours and provide me with tons of energy!

1/3 cup dry steel cut oats (quaker quick cooking kind)
    1 cup of water
    1.tbsp natural peanut butter ( mix into the oats while cooking)...once cooked I top with:

1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
    Lots of cinnamon
    Liquid stevia to sweeten

All for around 300 cals. So good.

I have the exact same breakfast everyday before heading to the gym.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. I'm relatively new to the concept but I've found it saves me a boatload of time in the morning.

I shoot for 600 calories per jar, and eat half before my workout at 5 a.m.; the other half at 9 a.m. keeps me satiated until lunch.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I usually use a 40g serving of old fashioned. Today I put in vanilla, a little sugar, cinnamon, salt, beat an egg and added it, then a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk and tossed it in the microwave!

Other mornings I’ll add a whole banana, cinnamon, salt. And either the unsweetened almond milk or water. (I like it to have a bit of bite, so I don’t use a lot of liquid and a little less time)

I’ve gone savory with it putting in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, water, and cheese. Sometimes a bit of pasta sauce.

It’s really versatile!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have 1 cup cooked oats. I cook it in water in my rice cooker. 150 calories. I add 8-10 g of sesame seeds for crunch, cinammon, 1/4 tsp maple syrup and about 1/4 of a pomegranate seeds. Comes to about 300 calories. Sometimes I'll use blueberries instead or if I have neither than a few raisins. For a light breakfast I'll add a fried egg on the side. For a heavier breakfast, two eggs and 2 slices of bacon, total around 650 calories. I've found the heavier breakfast will keep me full for about 6 hours including a 40 minute walk.