Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    10) I think my teenage daughter is very proud of me. Today, I told her I finished day 32, and she just smiled so brightly. And she asked, "Are you going to continue?" I asked her if she thinks I should. And she said "YES!" I told her that I realized that I didn't have to depend on drinking wine for fun or relaxation. And she replied, "Of COURSE."

Thanks for humoring me by reading these thoughts. Love you all! Xo

That's the best motivation right there!
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    1 down, 1 in progress and potentially 26 more to go.

Great to see so many new faces added to the challenge! Especially guys. I'm definitely "outnumbered" here.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    theknoxie wrote: »
    I am in! It has been 100% my reason for gaining all this weight! As soon as I cut back or stop BOOM I start see results at an alarming rate. I do not plan to stop, however I do plan on cutting back to 2 days a week.

That is the key. Learning how to drink in moderation. At least that is my issue.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    2/1- Dry

Feb 1st is in the books. No alcohol, but I didn't sleep well and woke up feeling pretty crappy anyway :/ Tonight I am going to go for *gasp* another dry night. I almost always have 1-3 drinks on a Friday night to cap off my work week. I meet my running group on Saturday morning for one of my longer runs and it isn't always that easy to make myself get up. Tomorrow we have 9 miles on the schedule and then I will go straight to the food pantry where I volunteer. I am looking forward to doing this all with a clear mind tomorrow. but, I admit that the thought of a dry Friday at home is a bit daunting. Wish me luck!

I'm impressed that you can drink 3 drinks the night b4 and run 9 miles the next day!!!!
  • runtodayamyrun
    runtodayamyrun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    2/1- Dry

Feb 1st is in the books. No alcohol, but I didn't sleep well and woke up feeling pretty crappy anyway :/ Tonight I am going to go for *gasp* another dry night. I almost always have 1-3 drinks on a Friday night to cap off my work week. I meet my running group on Saturday morning for one of my longer runs and it isn't always that easy to make myself get up. Tomorrow we have 9 miles on the schedule and then I will go straight to the food pantry where I volunteer. I am looking forward to doing this all with a clear mind tomorrow. but, I admit that the thought of a dry Friday at home is a bit daunting. Wish me luck!

Your run will be so much better in the morning without the drink. From one runner to another for encouragement!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Random thoughts... after being dry for a month:
    1) A scar on my chin has disappeared this month. I think it's my skin rejuvenating. Skin is so clearer and smooth, too. Face looks narrower.
    2) In the Fall and part of winter, I had bleeding gums when I brushed. Gross, I know. But now, no more bleeding gums since quitting.
    3) Flatter belly and stomach, although I didn't change my workout or anything.
    4) Even tempered mood- no anxiety. Able to deal with stressful situations calmly. Had a major death in the family early January, and I didn't use alcohol to numb me, like I would have.
    5) Wake up with a pep in my step. Although for the last week, I have not slept deeply; I feel still energetic.
    6) Negative effect: Craving chocolate more than I have. *seems common at the start of quitting.
    7) Save a lot on grocery bill. Would buy at least 3 bottles a week. Sometimes $15 each. Also, bar bills when going out with friends is much less.
    8) Kept a journal each day. Not all of it focused on my alcohol free journey, but I felt I had more time to write. Read four books this past month.
    9) Reading this thread every single days was so motivating. I felt ashamed that I drank too much and couldn't stop at just one. I see that we all have something that needs attention or tweaking. For me, it was that I needed to truly test myself to see if I could still have fun without alcohol. I could.
    10) I think my teenage daughter is very proud of me. Today, I told her I finished day 32, and she just smiled so brightly. And she asked, "Are you going to continue?" I asked her if she thinks I should. And she said "YES!" I told her that I realized that I didn't have to depend on drinking wine for fun or relaxation. And she replied, "Of COURSE."

Love this so hard
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Random thoughts... after being dry for a month:
    1) A scar on my chin has disappeared this month. I think it's my skin rejuvenating. Skin is so clearer and smooth, too. Face looks narrower.
    2) In the Fall and part of winter, I had bleeding gums when I brushed. Gross, I know. But now, no more bleeding gums since quitting.
    3) Flatter belly and stomach, although I didn't change my workout or anything.
    4) Even tempered mood- no anxiety. Able to deal with stressful situations calmly. Had a major death in the family early January, and I didn't use alcohol to numb me, like I would have.
    5) Wake up with a pep in my step. Although for the last week, I have not slept deeply; I feel still energetic.
    6) Negative effect: Craving chocolate more than I have. *seems common at the start of quitting.
    7) Save a lot on grocery bill. Would buy at least 3 bottles a week. Sometimes $15 each. Also, bar bills when going out with friends is much less.
    8) Kept a journal each day. Not all of it focused on my alcohol free journey, but I felt I had more time to write. Read four books this past month.
    9) Reading this thread every single days was so motivating. I felt ashamed that I drank too much and couldn't stop at just one. I see that we all have something that needs attention or tweaking. For me, it was that I needed to truly test myself to see if I could still have fun without alcohol. I could.

All great things!!! I can relate to the dinner bill. Our bill use to be over $100. Now it's like $50. So nice!!

It's sooooo sweet your daughter is super supportive of you! <3<3<3<3
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Love these drink ideas, thank you! Bought the Polar, and it's really good. Am adding a little grapefruit juice and slices of orange to the plain. The cranberry lime is exceptional, I thought. Bigelow French vanilla- yessss! Great suggestion, am loving it. And figured out how to cope with the Tazo wild sweet orange, that tastes sour AF to me. Added a packet of stevia and it's now perfect. I am usually such a sourpuss that I never add sugar to tea or coffee, but this is an exception. Bought a bottle of Fre "alcohol removed" wine. I suspect it will be hideous, but thought I'd give it a try. Will let you know. Big dinner out tonight with wine to celebrate 31 days of Dry January and two days of Freedom February. Really want to hold this to two glasses, max.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 I love your random thoughts. You continue to inspire!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    I feel great, irregular heartbeat gone, morning bloat gone, cranky depressed mornings gone..... Ready for Valentine's Day :)

Bow chicka wow wow ;-) Glad you stuck with us, @NormInv !
    My fast and irregular heart beat has decreased significantly. That brings big peace of mind!

Wishing you all a strong finish for Friday, whether you are moderating or abstaining. <3

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Love these drink ideas, thank you! Bought the Polar, and it's really good. Am adding a little grapefruit juice and slices of orange to the plain. The cranberry lime is exceptional, I thought. Bigelow French vanilla- yessss! Great suggestion, am loving it. And figured out how to cope with the Tazo wild sweet orange, that tastes sour AF to me. Added a packet of stevia and it's now perfect. I am usually such a sourpuss that I never add sugar to tea or coffee, but this is an exception. Bought a bottle of Fre "alcohol removed" wine. I suspect it will be hideous, but thought I'd give it a try. Will let you know. Big dinner out tonight with wine to celebrate 31 days of Dry January and two days of Freedom February. Really want to hold this to two glasses, max.

I tried Fre when I was pregnant and it tasted like grape juice to me! I had a glass and a half of wine last night and was totally Meh about it! It’s a great bottle and tasted good but I felt almost happier just drinking my sparkling water. Hoping this month has changed my brain a little :)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    I feel great, irregular heartbeat gone, morning bloat gone, cranky depressed mornings gone..... Ready for Valentine's Day :)

Bow chicka wow wow ;-) Glad you stuck with us, @NormInv !
    My fast and irregular heart beat has decreased significantly. That brings big peace of mind!

Wishing you all a strong finish for Friday, whether you are moderating or abstaining. <3

I'll stick around for your sweet and funny messages :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,190 Member
    Options

Julie.. I love that. Yesterday, I was driving my 18 year old daughter to school.. and was telling her about my successes in January.. that I had a completely dry January.. she turned to me and said that is great mom.. ME TOO! :-) We laughed and high fived each other. To be back to an age where that is just the normal.. wouldn't that be great! We are doing this for ourselves, but our loved ones do notice and appreciate it too! My dad was an alcoholic so I always have that in my mind... don't do that to my family.

That's so cute! "ME TOO!". I love that!

Annie Grace (author) says to think back on when you first took a drink and how awful it tasted. And remember when you were younger, and you didn't need to have alcohol to enjoy life.