Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Vanyahiril wrote: »
    I love oatmeal! I usually use a 40g serving of old fashioned. Today I put in vanilla, a little sugar, cinnamon, salt, beat an egg and added it, then a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk and tossed it in the microwave!

Other mornings I’ll add a whole banana, cinnamon, salt. And either the unsweetened almond milk or water. (I like it to have a bit of bite, so I don’t use a lot of liquid and a little less time)

I’ve gone savory with it putting in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, water, and cheese. Sometimes a bit of pasta sauce.

It’s really versatile!

So does the egg replace some of the water or milk you would normally use? I like my oats pretty dry too, like the consistency of spackle :lol: and I've heard of people cooking oats with an egg but wasn't sure if you still need to add a liquid.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A small bit of butter in my oatmeal doesn’t really add that many calories. Half a tbsp is 50 calories. If I’m having sweet oatmeal I cook it in milk with a little butter and then add brown sugar to it. If I’m having it not sweet I cook it in water with butter. Salt pepper, eggs and stuff.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    First, never eat those instant oatmeal packets. Loads of sugar.
    Here is what I do and everyone in the family, even the dedicated oatmeal haters love it.
    In a slow cooker, set on low, before I go to bed:
    6 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oats.
    2 apples, peeled and cored, diced into 1/2” size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 table spoon vanilla

Just dump everything into cooker, stir it up a bit and go to bed.

You’ll awake to amazing aromas and wholesome goodness. Keeps in airtight container in frig for up to a week.

Tip..I used to buy that Irish oats in a can. Good stuff but spendy. Steel cut is steel cut so I buy mine in bulk, keeps a long time.

When I'm having hotel breakfasts, I often grab an instant oatmeal packet. If sugar is a concern, they make them plain with nothing added. That's what I usually have because I like to add other ingredients to make savory oats.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My general oatmeal dish is a quantity of 1 cup uncooked whole oatmeal (300 cal), 2 tbls peanut butter (180 cal), 1 banana (100 cal), and 1/4 cup 2% milk (40 cal).

Approx. 620 cals.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the packets of plain instant oats. Generic kind is 100 calories per packet. I cook it and then throw in 4 or 5 scrambled egg whites (plain). Flavor it however you like, it's very versatile. Sometimes I add a sweetener and some almonds, cinnamon, etc. Other times I make it with pepper, hot sauce, spinach, etc. One way or the other it tastes like either a sweet breakfast of oats or a hearty breakfast of eggs. The egg whites pick up the flavor of whatever you mix in and gives you a great balance of carbs/protein in the morning. Nuts for some fats... without the nuts and depending on the sweetener you use you're looking at around 168-200 calories.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    And you can find instant oatmeal packets - plain - with little to no sugar at all.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Wait people put butter on oatmeal!?! My mind is blown. I've never thought of doing that. I like 1 T. vanilla extract, 1/2 c. thin diced apples and 1 T. cinnamon. Add in some protein powder if desired.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Add some salsa and turkey sausage with some cut up cherry tomatoes, green onion and peppers. Good to you and good for you!!!!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Fresh squeezed lemon juice and fresh grated ginger on my oats. Mmmmmmm
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do Bob's red mill rolled oats. I cut out honey because I found that 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh fruit was good enough.
  • christinelandry231
    Options
    LOLI think everyone misunderstood .. you are looking for things to add to your oatmeal that will not make it as many calories as butter. LOL Not what to replace butter with LOL
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Vanyahiril wrote: »
    I love oatmeal! I usually use a 40g serving of old fashioned. Today I put in vanilla, a little sugar, cinnamon, salt, beat an egg and added it, then a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk and tossed it in the microwave!

Other mornings I’ll add a whole banana, cinnamon, salt. And either the unsweetened almond milk or water. (I like it to have a bit of bite, so I don’t use a lot of liquid and a little less time)

I’ve gone savory with it putting in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, water, and cheese. Sometimes a bit of pasta sauce.

It’s really versatile!

So does the egg replace some of the water or milk you would normally use? I like my oats pretty dry too, like the consistency of spackle :lol: and I've heard of people cooking oats with an egg but wasn't sure if you still need to add a liquid.

I used to do oats with an egg a lot, and I wouldn't also add a liquid. (Ah, but mine were savory oats, so maybe never mind.)
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Daily half cup old fashioned oats in the micro top with a dash of cinnamon, handful of berries tsp of honey and 1/4 milk. The protein in the milk keeps the growls away, the carbs give me energy, the honey is full of good stuff and cinnamon warms you up. All told under 250 cal.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of oatmeal but not the texture (I generally don't like "gloppy" foods, puddings and custards included). So I buy oat flour (or grind my own), and make pancakes/tortillas/muffins/etc. I flavor them up with spices of various sorts. Fruit on the side.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'd add blueberries (or some other berry) and protein powder, perhaps.

I also like savory oats, add an egg (sunny side up is my preference) and some veg, sauteed and cut small, with cooked spinach.

I sometimes save calories in oats by making half steel cut, half cauliflower rice -- I was skeptical, but it's good. (I like cauliflower, though.)

I've never heard of butter on oats, but no reason it wouldn't work, I suppose.

Curious how do you cook the cauliflower with the oats?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'd add blueberries (or some other berry) and protein powder, perhaps.

I also like savory oats, add an egg (sunny side up is my preference) and some veg, sauteed and cut small, with cooked spinach.

I sometimes save calories in oats by making half steel cut, half cauliflower rice -- I was skeptical, but it's good. (I like cauliflower, though.)

I've never heard of butter on oats, but no reason it wouldn't work, I suppose.

Curious how do you cook the cauliflower with the oats?

I've both heated it separately (with the veg I was sauteeing to add to my savory oats) and included it in the rice cooker where I make my oats. Both worked fine. I read about it here and was skeptical about texture if I was to cook it with the oats, but was surprised it worked out.
  • taluch75
    taluch75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Better to have some eggs and bacon....to keep you full for a LONG TIME
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I add brown sugar, blueberries, walnuts and white chocolate chips