"Help! I'm eating HEALTHY but not losing weight!"

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think people think that if they hit on the right way of eating (or eliminate problem foods) that they will magically just only think about and want to eat the right amount of foods and not gain, or at least this will eventually happen, if they just do it right. There's this idea that it's not natural or normal to have to think about it, so they shouldn't have to.

And so, so many people say that if you just eat healthy the calories will be fine or that it's not possible to overeat "eating healthy" (or clean, but I won't go there, or WFPB or LCHF or paleo, so on). Personally, I'm confident I could manage to overeat without too much trouble on any diet. ;-)

I kind of have a love/hate thing with logging -- sometimes I really enjoy it, sometimes I hate it -- so I get it, but if I'm honest with myself being mindful about food isn't any more natural or "not having to think about it," but I think for many of us it is necessary in this food environment.

Hmm, I also think some find it more fun to be mindful about being on a special diet vs. mindful about portions or calories. I get that, I experience it to some extent, especially when there's novelty. But I suppose I'm digressing, since the first post isn't really about any special diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    bambusa wrote: »
    Can someone reply with their definition of clean eating?

7567305.png

It means something different to almost everyone who tries to practice it which is why it is an unhelpful term to describe the way one eats - and why it gets so much discussion on these boards.

@diannethegeek had a great list of all the different ways to define it - oh, here it is.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating/p1

As you can see, that's hardly a helpful way to talk about one's diet (noun).

The OP even counts by some of these definitions.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have this argument with DH all the time - "I don't eat any bad stuff - I don't need to count calories."

I grew up with a mom who is a registered dietitian, and I learned a lot of strategies for maintaining my weight by incorporating certain foods that would make me feel more full, but that did not necessarily cut calories (example, whole wheat bread is not less caloric, but it sure feels more substantial in my stomach!) People over the past three decades have mistaken the "healthy" alternatives as being "less caloric". I don't understand how that happened, but here we are.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a former coworker who would occasionally lament that she always ate healthy but couldn't lose weight because she had a "naturally slow metabolism". Now I don't know what she ate away from work, but the sorts of things she brought to work looked a lot like that list.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think people think that if they hit on the right way of eating (or eliminate problem foods) that they will magically just only think about and want to eat the right amount of foods and not gain, or at least this will eventually happen, if they just do it right. There's this idea that it's not natural or normal to have to think about it, so they shouldn't have to.

And so, so many people say that if you just eat healthy the calories will be fine or that it's not possible to overeat "eating healthy" (or clean, but I won't go there, or WFPB or LCHF or paleo, so on). Personally, I'm confident I could manage to overeat without too much trouble on any diet. ;-)

I kind of have a love/hate thing with logging -- sometimes I really enjoy it, sometimes I hate it -- so I get it, but if I'm honest with myself being mindful about food isn't any more natural or "not having to think about it," but I think for many of us it is necessary in this food environment.

Hmm, I also think some find it more fun to be mindful about being on a special diet vs. mindful about portions or calories. I get that, I experience it to some extent, especially when there's novelty. But I suppose I'm digressing, since the first post isn't really about any special diet.

Agreed...I eat a pretty stinkin' healthy, largely whole foods diet and I put on 10 Lbs this winter just like I do every winter...so yeah...those calories in my healthy, whole foods are still calories, and they count.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

7567305.png

I could. But since the OP changed the title and it has nothing to do with the meme I feel like it might be hijacking the thread at this point.

You could but it would be just as non-sensicle as any other one that could get posted.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

7567305.png

I could. But since the OP changed the title and it has nothing to do with the meme I feel like it might be hijacking the thread at this point.

You could but it would be just as non-sensicle as any other one that could get posted.

You mean there are memes that make sense? :anguished:
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    "this year in going to lose weight by eating clean, no more junk like this!" <-- my office mate, as she throws out a box of 100 calorie Special K bars and replaces them with a big box of almonds. Now instead of the 1 Special K bat she has what I'd estimate to be 50 grams of almonds with her morning coffee, plus more nibbles of almonds during the day on top of her normal lunch.

I would say something, but what do I know, I'm 'skinny already'

Did you get the Special K bars out of the trash?!

• GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Posting to add: The OP is spot on, in the core message (despite our quibbles over terminology ;) ). It's the calories.

From reading truly mind-numbing numbers of posts around here, I'd guess that most would consider that example "eating healthy" or even "eating clean".

I'd consider it "eating healthy" (though I don't/wouldn't eat that menu, by preference). There's (IMO) a wide range of "eating healthy".

I wouldn't consider it "eating clean", because I wouldn't consider anything "eating clean": I consider the term so poorly defined as to be meaningless, so I don't use it.

Thanks Ann. It wouldn't be a Friday in the forums without quibbling over terminology.

Lol, ooooohhhhhh so terminology is a ‘thing’ in here???? Now I get it, Lol, I just got my first warning because I retaliated after someone was really sarcastic regarding terminology. I don’t see a need to be so literal, but whatever, Now I know...