God help me - Dr. Oz and the ACV “ detox overload” diet plan

Options

Replies

• dottyrainesimon
    dottyrainesimon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m home from work today and saw that Dr. Oz had a segment on ACV and weigh loss today. I don’t normally watch him, as I work during the day, but had to watch since I’ve never understood why so many people come on MFP asking about ACV.

Some “expert” is talking right now about how her ACV plan will help with “toxic overload” issues...you know you have it when you have bloating and weight gain.

No mention of what toxins are overloading our systems...no mention of any science about how ACV eliminates these toxins. And not one question from Dr. Oz asking about the science or peer reviewed studies that back any of this up.

Jesus, now I understand how all these posters come in asking about ACV and weight loss. How is this man allowed to promote this kind of crap and lend the credibility of his medical degree to that?

Rant over - for now - LOL

It gave me the worst heartburn I've ever had!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I saw the episode and I didn't see where they ever gave the reason ACV causes weight loss. They gave recipes which were lower calorie that included ACV, but all she said was it would "eliminate toxins". If your liver and kidneys are functioning then you shouldn't have to worry about "toxins". I still don't see the evidence supporting ACV as a weight loss panacea. Will it hurt you, probably not unless its causing heartburn.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I’m home from work today and saw that Dr. Oz had a segment on ACV and weigh loss today. I don’t normally watch him, as I work during the day, but had to watch since I’ve never understood why so many people come on MFP asking about ACV.

Some “expert” is talking right now about how her ACV plan will help with “toxic overload” issues...you know you have it when you have bloating and weight gain.

No mention of what toxins are overloading our systems...no mention of any science about how ACV eliminates these toxins. And not one question from Dr. Oz asking about the science or peer reviewed studies that back any of this up.

Jesus, now I understand how all these posters come in asking about ACV and weight loss. How is this man allowed to promote this kind of crap and lend the credibility of his medical degree to that?

Rant over - for now - LOL

It gave me the worst heartburn I've ever had!

Heartburn or watching Dr. Oz? :wink:

tumblr_lq5mxuFBzR1qm6s2g1.gif
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The people who have lost weight were consuming less calories than they burned. ACV has nothing to do with it. :)
    No offense but some people do lose weight doing things like that. Be humble and dont think that you know everything :) different strokes for different folks

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Well I didn't see the episode. But frankly I don't give a crap what other people do. If they feel better drinking it, let them. I highly doubt he was advocating not eating and just drink acv. So who cares? It's not like it's going to hurt them either.

My husband drinks it. He likes it. He doesn't need to lose weight and he's not on this site. He just thinks it's healthy. It's not hurting him. And it doesn't matter.

Honestly, people here get so worked up over things that really are unnecessary.

Wasting years believing in pseudoscience and falling for one gimmick after another to continually fail to achieve ones goals - you don’t think that it’s worth spending time trying to correct misinformation to help people avoid that experience?

Indeed.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    AllSpiceNice, AnvilHead, garber6th

People like the posters I've mentioned above helped me immensely when I started losing weight. I didn't know how entrenched I was in woo until I started prowling the forums for info.
    I'm glad they dispel the *kitten* peddled by people like Dr. Oz, because believing in this garbage has hurt more people than you know. Diet woo kept me obese for years because I didn't know better.

I want to "hug" this, and "insightful" this, and "like" this, and "awesome" this if we still had that button.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    AllSpiceNice, AnvilHead, garber6th

People like the posters I've mentioned above helped me immensely when I started losing weight. I didn't know how entrenched I was in woo until I started prowling the forums for info.
    I'm glad they dispel the *kitten* peddled by people like Dr. Oz, because believing in this garbage has hurt more people than you know. Diet woo kept me obese for years because I didn't know better.

I want to "hug" this, and "insightful" this, and "like" this, and "awesome" this if we still had that button.

I miss the awesome button.

Agreed. I never use inspiring, and rarely use hug. I'd much rather have awesome.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Can we add more rants? If yes...
    I was at my secondary gym last night. There was a female playing a VR video game in the side room. I asked the gym manager what was going on. He said she was getting her "heart rate in the fat-burning zone." Standing there. Playing a video game.

I. Couldn't. Even.

Well... at rest your substrate utilization is mostly fat, so technically...