What diet???

Options

Replies

• pandrew75
    pandrew75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple as much of the above - Its Calories in vs Calories out. You have an energy balance and you need to put yourself in a calorie deficit to lose weight/fat. You need to find out your Daily Calorie Expenditure number, do this by giving yourself a daily limit 2000kcal for example. Track your food for a few weeks with weigh ins and you will soon see if this number is too high (Putting on weight) or exactly correct (not losing weight) and then adjust accordingly. Also I would recommend looking at your Macros in particular Protein amount. Aim for around 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight. Consistency is the key
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you want to lose that 35lb badly enough you will do what it takes. Take it slow, set yourself to lose 1lb a week, that means a calorie deficit of 500 cals a day.
    Eat things that fill you/are satisfying but wont eat into your calorie allowance too much. You can still enjoy some treats but most importantly, weigh everything and log it accurately - thats the only way to know how many calories you are taking in. Also move a bit more, that helps burns more calories to help with that deficit.

You have to think long term. Just think in 6 months time what you could achieve, you actually wouldn't be far from your target weight. Only 6 months! that's a short period of time in relation to our lives in general. :smile:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple as much of the above - Its Calories in vs Calories out. You have an energy balance and you need to put yourself in a calorie deficit to lose weight/fat. You need to find out your Daily Calorie Expenditure number, do this by giving yourself a daily limit 2000kcal for example. Track your food for a few weeks with weigh ins and you will soon see if this number is too high (Putting on weight) or exactly correct (not losing weight) and then adjust accordingly. Also I would recommend looking at your Macros in particular Protein amount. Aim for around 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight. Consistency is the key

This is fine but why wouldn’t you use MFP to set that calorie Target rather than just randomly picking a number? Or another calculator - lots of TDEE calculators online.
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Trust me I want it badly enough, it’s enough to make me sit and cry most nights because I’m fat but the urge for food takes over sometimes and I can’t stop it no matter what. So tell me what I can do to stop that because I’ve tried everything possible
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Trust me I want it badly enough, it’s enough to make me sit and cry most nights because I’m fat but the urge for food takes over sometimes and I can’t stop it no matter what. So tell me what I can do to stop that because I’ve tried everything possible

Are there particular trigger foods, or emotional situations, that prompt you to over indulge? If so a closer analysis of those triggers may help you avoid them and develop a sustainable plan.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

Have you tried keeping busy doing something when these urges strike? or have a glass of water? this is emotional eating you're talking about so you need to find some way to get around it.
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    Nothing triggers it, I’ve done low carb for 13 days straight really focused losing weight then bang yesterday woke up and ate so much rubbish but I literally could not stop myself, I knew I was doing it but couldn’t stop
  • WinoGelato
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Nothing triggers it, I’ve done low carb for 13 days straight really focused losing weight then bang yesterday woke up and ate so much rubbish but I literally could not stop myself, I knew I was doing it but couldn’t stop

First of all, one day falling off the wagon isn’t the end of the world. Brush yourself off and reevaluate your plan (again - it’s a plan, not a diet). Also, low carb isn’t necessary for weight loss, perhaps that is too restrictive for you if you feel tempted to over indulge. Have you read the recommendations above including the stickied posts?
  • SportyKirsty
    SportyKirsty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tracking calories and keeping a food diary like MFP helps you to do is a great way. sometimes you don't realise how much you eat each day, or how many hidden calories there are in things (ie Ketchup) until you see it written down.

However I like you fell of the wagon many times and im doing a lot more successfully now after binge watching "how to lose weight well" I took inspiration from that a year or so ago and count calories but also factor in some of the other diets principles. it seems to make it less boring, less samey and somewhat more exciting so you don't feel stuck in a rut and so much like its a diet as you can chop and change things.

give it a try and see how you get on.

Good Luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

First of all, one day falling off the wagon isn’t the end of the world. Brush yourself off and reevaluate your plan (again - it’s a plan, not a diet). Also, low carb isn’t necessary for weight loss, perhaps that is too restrictive for you if you feel tempted to over indulge. Have you read the recommendations above including the stickied posts?

I totally freak out and binge just like OP described when I try to do low carb. Now I just try to hit my calorie goal and my protein and let the rest fall where it may.

I have a little chocolate or ice cream pretty much every night. Helps me stay on track.
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    But I don’t lose anything I just hit a plateau which is why I tried something different but just can’t seem to find something that suits, I’m actually addicted to food but want to be slim and it’s never going to happen :(
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    But you can! Log what you eat now and eat a little less day to day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    But I don’t lose anything I just hit a plateau which is why I tried something different but just can’t seem to find something that suits, I’m actually addicted to food but want to be slim and it’s never going to happen :(

You're over complicating it. Complete your diet profile in MFP. Set it to lose .5 or 1 lb per week. Read the stickied posts here on the forums so that you can: Track and log honestly and accurately. Above all, be patient.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

If you have a true addiction you should seek help. Over-eaters Anonymous or psychologist who specializes would be good options.
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    I feel the same way towards food as I do to cigarettes. I get the same ‘angryness’ when I can’t have food I want as I do when I can’t have a cigarette, then I eat said food then get annoyed with myself for eating it... lose lose situation :/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I feel the same way towards food as I do to cigarettes. I get the same ‘angryness’ when I can’t have food I want as I do when I can’t have a cigarette, then I eat said food then get annoyed with myself for eating it... lose lose situation :/

You'll need to develop some coping skills.

What I did in the situation you're describing:

Ask myself, "Can I have this same food again later?"

If the answer is yes (which it most often is), tell myself I'll have it another time.

If the answer is no, then I may allow myself to have it, but I'll have to make some other changes to my diet that day. I probably won't get my evening treat, which I love and always look forward to. Is it worth that trade? Maybe yes, maybe no.