How many steps a day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mine is all over the place. I've had my fitbit for 3 years I think and so far the low has been 3156 and the high was 24215. On average probably about 9700ish. It's funny to me how many times I almost hit 10000 but fall short by <300.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My fitbit reports 7500 - 10000 on work days....off days I do way worse, usually like 3000. I need to get better about walking! I know I will be once the weather is warmer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys get so many steps in! I get 2,000-3,000 steps if I don't try, but I've been working on getting 10k every day, except for the last week when I was sick. To get 10k, I have to think about getting steps in and jog in place alot during the day. I have been doing that for the last two months. I do stay at home and homeschool, so I jog in place while teaching and supervising. My step counter only counts steps if there are 8 or more in a row and we don't have big rooms.
    Do your step counters count little moving around steps?

I've noticed my fit bit won't count my steps when I'm pushing the cart at the store or carrying something it kinda sucks lol but I'm getting used to moving my hands more to get a good count

I've become very proficient at pushing shopping carts with one hand :lol:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I aim for 12k steps minimum, although this winter, with cold weather and a really busy work schedule, I've been lucky to make it to 10K. When warmer weather hits and I can get out to walk on lunch breaks, and try to make sure I take the dog for an evening walk, I should be back up to around 14K steps/day average.

I have a desk job but make an effort to get that many steps - including walking from the back of the parking lot, walking to the water cooler or bathroom at the far end of my office building, often pacing in my basement during winter months to keep my steps up. I don't run - all my steps are from walking - sometimes from exercise and sometimes just an intentional "NEAT" focus.

I'm 5'2 and maintaining my weight at 118 lbs - but with a TDEE of ~2100-2200 right now. This is something I've worked to achieve, by steadily increasing my average step count and activity level - it enabled me to continue to raise my calories while losing and now I have a higher TDEE than my stats would suggest, and a higher TDEE than before I lost ~35 lbs. So yes, I think there's a benefit to being more active, lots of them, actually, but it really can make a meaningful impact on calorie burn and subsequent intake.

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm around 7-8k but I just started wearing my fitbit again so I hope to see that go up.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Between 20-25,000 per day
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Last few months I'm ~18,000 steps/day.

I set my minimum to 12k.

I have a desk job and spend 1.5 hrs/day on a commute. I take breaks wherever possible and walk around my building, run on the treadmill, etc.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My fitbit says I average 8,182 steps per day.

I work a desk job 8-5. My average steps when I first started with my fitbit were around 2-3000, so I'm definitely moving more and improving!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's so funny that you guys on the other side of the world aren't walking as much because of the cold weather. Then there's me down under struggling to get in steps due to the sweltering heat. It's 42C (107F) here today.

I've been taking the doglet for long beach walks at 6:30am every morning, then again in the evening.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    About 500 steps! :neutral: I don't track much but generally I walk very little. I work from home, doesn't help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    was getting 15000 a day but slacked off to around 8-10k. need to get back to getting more in
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    manjuk75 wrote: »
    Anything is better than sedentary. I used to be a couch potato, and I've become incredibly antsy. I get a ridiculous amount of steps, most lately because I'm incredibly cold and walk a lot on my treadmill to warm up. I've been getting 30K a day.

Wow 30k a day is awesome and seems unachievable to me. That should really help with weight loss or toning.

Thanks! I'm short and older and relatively light already. What all that walking does do is give me a very decent calorie allowance. A lot of women my age, height, and weight have very few calories they can eat. Less so if they're trying to lose weight (as I'm doing with a few vanity pounds). I can comfortably eat quite a few calories and still lose. My TDEE is around 2400.

The thing is that the moderate intensity walking I do is best suited to me and my particular health needs. Higher intensity exercise triggers migraines for me. I have the time to devote to this and the energy, so I don't have an issue with doing it. I don't think this is an ideal goal for most people, though.

same here if its really high intensity to where my face gets red I get really bad headaches,not migraines but close
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbit set at 15000. I average around 29-30000.