Previous Smokers .... I just quit and I'm miserable - any SUCCESS Stories ?

Options
124»

Replies

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I kicked the habit a few years ago, but have never managed to go without the nicotine lozenges. I’m still using a few a day as mints. Still wishing I could do without those though.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I kicked the habit a few years ago, but have never managed to go without the nicotine lozenges. I’m still using a few a day as mints. Still wishing I could do without those though.

I chewed the gum for MONTHS and that ended up being even more expensive :D
  • hoopsandsunshine
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 15 or 16. I quit for a few months multiple times then always started back up again. It was always cold turkey and I always needed a reason to do so. Pregnancy, surgery, etc.

The last time I quit was July 13th and I’ve been very good since. I sometimes smoke socially when I’m drinking but it’s always just a few and I don’t drink often. But I’ve been really good with not buying my own packs and continuing to be cigarette free after the night.

What works best for me is having a reason to quit. I don’t want to smoke because my daughter is 4 now and I don’t want her to see me like that. Also I don’t feel good afterwards. I physically feel like I’m slowly dying after one even though I crave the nicotine so bad.

Life is trial and error, you just have to find what works best for you. As long as you don’t go out and buy your own pack, because that’s the best way to start up again because then you feel obligated to smoke the whole pack.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Nicotine free for 6 days, 10 hrs and 24 minutes!

Almost a full week!! (But I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you :wink: ) That's great! :flowerforyou:
  • aeloine
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Nicotine free for 6 days, 10 hrs and 24 minutes!

Almost a full week!! (But I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you :wink: ) That's great! :flowerforyou:

@pinuplove actually, you did! I didn't even realize that had happened! I was just looking at the day, not the big picture.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I read "The Easyway to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Changed my life and made me SO happy to quit. Not one minute of regret or having a hard time with it.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,129 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I was a 2 pack a day smoker...had been for 30 years. I tried quitting lots of times. Was miserable each time. But it was like anything else. I really didn't WANT to quit. I wanted to smoke more than I wanted to quit. One day, I finally convinced myself that if I had one more cigarette I would die. So I only had to not smoke ONE cigarette.....: the next one. It was a matter of desire. I wanted to live more than I wanted to smoke. One of the best things I ever did. I actually tried smoking one about 2 years ago, and almost coughed up a lung after one puff. I needed that experience....Good luck
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    Today is day #3. Hella cranky.

Youve got this girlfriend! First week - miserable, second week- still pissy and craving... third week, SO MUCH EASIER. Today is 1 month and 8 Days since my hubby said he was quitting and I decided to be supportive and quit with him -
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    51 days and counting. My doctor put me on anti-depressants and then I just decided I wasn't going to smoke anymore. I just kept telling myself "I'm not a smoker anymore" and "No matter what I'm not having another cigarette, ever." I think the meds probably helped a lot.

But now I have these mad craving for sweets, usually right before bed, and I can't seem to control them. Anybody else having this issue? Other than that I have pretty healthy habits now but it's really hurting my progress.

38 days and counting... I ALWAYS had the sugar cravings before bed and continue to struggle. I'm still eating but cutting back the amount of snacks and trying really hard to make better choices, like apple sauce instead of chips. I allow myself a couple Ferrero rochets or a couple candies because honestly - its the little things in life that make us smile !
  • aeloine
    Options
    Bump.
    Today is day #3. Hella cranky.

Youve got this girlfriend! First week - miserable, second week- still pissy and craving... third week, SO MUCH EASIER. Today is 1 month and 8 Days since my hubby said he was quitting and I decided to be supportive and quit with him -

15 days 18 hrs 2 minutes! SO much easier!
    kshadows wrote: »
    I read "The Easyway to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Changed my life and made me SO happy to quit. Not one minute of regret or having a hard time with it.

^^^ THIS. I thought it was hype but then I read the book!
  • janisseshirley
    janisseshirley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, you have gone through the worst part already. I remember going through that and feeling the same way. I quit in October of this year right after I ended up in the Hospital with a serious upper respritory infection and diagnosed with COPD. The infection was so bad that I could not breathe and I choked every time I coughed. I decided then and there that if I lived through it that I would never put another cigarette in my mouth again. I had quit several times before, but this time was different. After the emotional conflictions were over the hardest part was figuring out what to do with my hands and avoiding situations that reminded me of smoking. 1. try not to hang around smokers for awhile 2. Keep your hands busy 3. Remember the reasons why you wanted to quit in the first place 4. Reward yourself for quitting. You can do this!!!
  • elainematto
    elainematto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quitting is hard. It's also one of the best things I have ever done for myself. It took about a year to feel totally free but after that I never missed or craved them. Being a non-smoker is GREAT. Do every healthy thing you can do to distract yourself until you are finally free. Good luck!
  • skawasti
    skawasti Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 19 years. Never a heavy smoker...but I still developed the habit. I tried quitting several times, but always ended up coming back. Im happy to report that I am cig free for the last 8 months! I was finally just sick of it....hated how I smelled and the bad example I was setting for my kid. What helped me the most? Going to the gym. Seeing healthier people and making friends with more like minded individuals helped a lot. Good luck!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My uncle was a heavy smoker and went on chantix, never had the urge to smoke since. He told my grandparents to give it a shot as they we're really heavy smokers since they were in their teens. They both haven't smoke since and the house doesn't stink anymore :)

They said the dreams were pretty nuts but worth it.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Quitting is hard. It's also one of the best things I have ever done for myself. It took about a year to feel totally free but after that I never missed or craved them. Being a non-smoker is GREAT. Do every healthy thing you can do to distract yourself until you are finally free. Good luck!

I love the last part of this. Since I quit (1 month, 15 days and 11 hours ago) I have been focusing on self care. I havent put the money in a jar that I would save every week, instead Ive been treating myself. First week My hubby and I got a facial. The second week I went to our local health food store and bought a few things like an organic lip balm and vitamins to help with the frustration. I just keep treating myself in small ways as encouragement. Only over a month and I walk by people smoking and the smell turns my stomach ! I have distanced myself from my smoking friends but will have to deal with that situation very soon ... So exciting to be free of the chains of smoking.
  • aeloine
    Options

I love the last part of this. Since I quit (1 month, 15 days and 11 hours ago) I have been focusing on self care. I havent put the money in a jar that I would save every week, instead Ive been treating myself. First week My hubby and I got a facial. The second week I went to our local health food store and bought a few things like an organic lip balm and vitamins to help with the frustration. I just keep treating myself in small ways as encouragement. Only over a month and I walk by people smoking and the smell turns my stomach ! I have distanced myself from my smoking friends but will have to deal with that situation very soon ... So exciting to be free of the chains of smoking.

So glad you're going strong!!!!
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 months ago! You can do this! The first few days make you want to implode, but hold out. In just 24 more hours you will start to feel a little tiny bit better! And every day gets better from there!
  • aeloine
    Options
    Saibasu wrote: »
    I quit 5 months ago! You can do this! The first few days make you want to implode, but hold out. In just 24 more hours you will start to feel a little tiny bit better! And every day gets better from there!

@Saibasu She's a month and a half in. Be sure to check the date of the original post.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    2 Months, 22 days and 12h I have been smoke free!
    First Social Struggle when I threw a bday party for my friend on saturday. SO many of my friends smoke!! They kept going outside but I just tried to keep busy and focus on the fact that I smelled great! I didnt have to worry about washing my hands and trying to cover up the smell, which was lovely .