Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ercaface wrote: »
    I am in! I did Dry January successfully and had great plans of moderating in February. So far I have not been terribly successful and had one major WTF day this week that I am still paying for. It frustrates me and does not make me feel very good about myself. I recovered yesterday and getting my priorities in order. I am starting to make progress dropping some fat and I know my wine habit it hampering my progress. I love that this thread looks super open and honest and real. We all need the support! I plan on having 1-2 beers with my dinner tonight after a board meeting I have to attend. I plan to moderate through the weekend and take some days off at the beginning of the week. There. I said it. Now I have to do it.

Great plan! Just making a plan of attack is all it takes to moderate.
    And Sometimes we need a WTF day to shake us up a little:)
    Looking forward to hearing how your weekend goes. xo
  • RubyRed427
    edited February 2018
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I planned an outing with my cousin who is my partner in crime and with whom I always end up drinking too much. I did this as a test to myself to see if I can be strong and not overdo it with the drinking. I cant just not hang out with her anymore just because I can't control myself. This is my test to practice moderation.

I planned dinner and a play.

Enjoy dinner and a play!

My husband wants to go with another couple to a ShakesBEER play event. Even the actors are drinking beer, the flyer says. I told him that doesn't appeal to me anymore. The couple who invited us said we were thinking who to invite. They said they know that my husband and I like beer. I just looked at them like deer in headlights. I should have said "not anymore!" But I don't know why I didn't.

I think I'll pass on the event. I think it may make me cave:)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Day 8 and loving it, I'm sleeping so well! Unfortunately, I had hoped it would help with the vertigo I've been experiencing, but apparently not - that's still there in full force.

When I had the vertigo badly I had the same hope. Sorry it's not helping your either.

@Sabine_Stroehm did you eventually find a cause/treatment? I've been being treated for a neck injury which may have caused a significant portion of it (landed on my head and compacted my skull into my C1, which was mushing my blood vessels and spinal fluid flow) but it only helps so much. I'm not useless anymore, but its far from gone.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    We should all get together in Vegas and celebrate our commitment over champagne and strawberries....We shall call it the Dry Group Meetup

Then we would have to start a group for Less gambling - 2018 - One day at a time. LOL

That is so funny! AND TRUE xoxo
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    We should all get together in Vegas and celebrate our commitment over champagne and strawberries....We shall call it the Dry Group Meetup

Then we would have to start a group for Less gambling - 2018 - One day at a time. LOL
    [/qu

I love that idea!!! LOL!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I planned an outing with my cousin who is my partner in crime and with whom I always end up drinking too much. I did this as a test to myself to see if I can be strong and not overdo it with the drinking. I cant just not hang out with her anymore just because I can't control myself. This is my test to practice moderation.

Enjoy dinner and a play!

My husband wants to go with another couple to a ShakesBEER play event. Even the actors are drinking beer, the flyer says. I told him that doesn't appeal to me anymore. The couple who invited us said we were thinking who to invite. They said they know that my husband and I like beer. I just looked at them like deer in headlights. I should have said "not anymore!" But I don't know why I didn't.

Why shouldn't you hang out with friends without being fearful? I don't want to give up social outings or certain friends because I am afraid I will cave in. I almost didnt plan the dinner and the play just for the fact I was afraid I will cave in. Although I told her last month we would go. I had to tell myself I need to do this to prove that I can be strong and resist. I cannot go through life avoiding social situations because I am afraid I can't control myself.

Dont pass on the event.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Enjoy dinner and a play!

Why shouldn't you hang out with friends without being fearful? I don't want to give up social outings or certain friends because I am afraid I will cave in. I almost didnt plan the dinner and the play just for the fact I was afraid I will cave in. Although I told her last month we would go. I had to tell myself I need to do this to prove that I can be strong and resist. I cannot go through life avoiding social situations because I am afraid I can't control myself.

Dont pass on the event.

This is some of the area im stuck with. Social relax, 'let your hair down' stuff, then i feel ive been defeated. I can't get amoungest it like i did.

I want it but don't. I have been having beer and wine w the alcohol removed to give me the taste satisfaction of drinking it. I don't drink it every night it doesn't give u the craving like the real stuff does.

I hope this makes sense

• dbanks80
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »

Enjoy dinner and a play!

Dont pass on the event.

This is some of the area im stuck with. Social relax, 'let your hair down' stuff, then i feel ive been defeated. I can't get amoungest it like i did.

I want it but don't. I have been having beer and wine w the alcohol removed to give me the taste satisfaction of drinking it. I don't drink it every night it doesn't give u the craving like the real stuff does.

I hope this makes sense

Yes it makes sense. I would love to drink a non-alcoholic wine for the taste but for me I love the relaxed buzz feeling. LOL

So for now I need to not drink until I can learn moderation.

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we cannot learn moderation. Here is why:

Alcohol does not work in moderation. If you havent had a drink in a couple weeks and then try a beer or wine, it will be uncomfortable if not yucky....most likely you wont like it....

Alcohol is only yum when you are drinking it often and in abundance NOT in moderation. You like alcohol when you drink it daily after work, your body know and expects the pleasure....

Therefore, I must bear the bad news that its all or nothing for us borderline alcoholics. I am as sad about it as you

Sad but true. I was never a daily drinker but when I drank, I would Drink. It. All. If I had 2 bottles of wine and a half pint of fireball I would drink every drop. Eventually I did stop the binging though, and shifted to daily and all day if I didn't have to work. I am an all or nothing drinker, so for me, there is no moderation. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Sorry if that was negative though. Everyone is different and maybe some can moderate
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanku everyone, very helpful and supportive.

The other question is, what else other than alcohol will give that "buzz", or " let your hair down" , relaxed feel..?

This is a bit scary bcoz.. for some families this is what is their main or one of thier " hold together".

:/:|:#

Its really sad bcoz there not that real love and respect bteen them.