Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    This has been a fun read. ;)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    imfornd wrote: »
    what i am saying is that they are already getting the sugar from the F&V then they buy fat free stuff thinking it health only to be eating massive amount of Sugar - 20% carbs a day are more than enough 40% Fat needed for endocrine system and CNS function, 40% protein needed for muscle retention , blood production, enzyme production....

Sugar needed for ATP production but you can produce ATP with fats and not have all the ancillary issue associate with Sugar consumption

Who is doing this? Given the current trends (paleo, low carb, keto, "clean eating"), who exactly is buying this fat free stuff? Who is even making it anymore? I don't think my grocery store even sells Snackwells anymore and they were like the poster child for low fat snacks. The trendy snacks are higher fat things like coconut chips or things that are higher in fiber like roasted chickpeas.

All I posted was a 40-40-20 rule where carbs are 20 - people started blowing me up over it and i was left having to call up medical journals substantiating my opinion

That wasn't all you did. You also claimed that the food pyramid was still current, that people following it would be "pounding down pasta all day long," and that someone who was following the current food recommendations would be consuming "massive" amounts of sugar.

You also claimed that recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption were the work of sugar companies so that they could more easily sell fat-free products to people (although how this connection is supposed to work still isn't exactly clear to me).

You've made a lot of claims here and they aren't backed up by studies in reputable medical journals (or any type of journal).

"You also claimed that recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption were the work of sugar companies" - NOPE never did that - I did respond to a question about it

"You've made a lot of claims here and they aren't backed up by studies in reputable medical journals" - yes i did

NIH
    MAYO
    JAP

you pic - reading is fun

When asked whether sugar companies benefit from people eating fruit, you responded: "of course it does - keep them eating sugar(fruit- sugar - basically the same) keep them fat - and watch us justify a low/no fat diet and we'll be able to load the products with sugar."

So you think the sugar companies had nothing to do with the recommendation to eat fruits and vegetables, they're just benefiting passively from recommendations made for other reasons? If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.

In the scenario you're writing about, who wants to "keep them fat" and why? If it isn't the sugar companies behind it, then who is doing it?

Sugar producers and corn producers love a fat USA - they get the tout a fat free diet knowing full well they are going to be throwing massive amounts of sugar into the product to make it taste good the whole time the package will say "FAT FREE" it so healthy for you

what products specifically?

the only low fat products I buy are 1% milk and non-fat Fage...neither of those products has added sugar at all...let alone "massive amounts"...I get plenty of dietary fat elsewhere from nuts, avocados, good cooking oils, etc...

It's 2018, not 1990...I don't really see "low fat" products produced and marketed like they were in 1990...

So what products specifically are marketed as "low fat" but have massive amounts of sugar added...

Exactly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Does the sugar industry benefit from people eating more fruit? How?

of course it does - keep them eating sugar(fruit- sugar - basically the same) keep them fat - and watch us justify a low/no fat diet and we'll be able to load the products with sugar

But if people are getting their sugar from fruit, why would they be interested in buying low fat products?

The thought is they will stop eating fruit and begin buying these products? How exactly is this working?

the average person gong for health - is not investigating deeply the amount of sugar in there diets - they just here eat your fruits and vegetables and stay away from fatty foods and low fat diet is best - Vegetable yes - some fruit - low grains and good fats and protein

Someone who is eating their fruits and vegetables is buying fruits and vegetables. I'm not sure how this shift to low fat products that you're predicting is supposed to be happening.

Or who in this thread is advocating a low fat diet? Or any sort of governing agency that is currently recommending a low fat diet other than to deal with certain medical conditions.

This poster seems to be stuck in some sort of time warp where the food pyramid and Snackwells reign surpreme... I can just picture him in his Doc Martens rocking out to Nirvana wondering why people don't get with the program and stop eating those horrible fruits and vegetables!

This is what happens to a lot of people who get caught in internet nutrition information, I've noticed. Because so many low carb/paleo/"clean eating" people are working with outdated information about the food pyramid or recommendations for low fat diets, the people who are frequent readers of those sources tend to act like the nutritional fads of the 90s are still current.

You'll never get me to criticize Doc Martens though. I still love those things!

I really should read to the end before posting, as WinoGelato's post covers the blast from the past thing perfectly!

I think it's easier to rant about current dietary advice if you create a strawman (also if you pretend like the US diet is or was ever low fat, since it was not, even in the Susan Powter era).