Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vegetarian vs. Vegan vs. Eating meat..to lose weight?

Options
Rabbit1295
Rabbit1295 Posts: 55 Member
Heyo! Hope everyone is well :)

Something I've been wondering about. What form of diet do you think is better to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight? I'm really curious about REAL (hopefully unbiased lol) testimonials. Do you have to switch diets and commit to it for the rest of my life or what?

I personally LOVE my meat and fish. Especially ocean caught fish and organic chicken. But let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Weight loss well you want filling. For me that means lots of protein and fiber.
    For sustainable you want delicious.
    I think whatever works for healthy delicious and high fiber and protein works for me
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,143 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like, close to your deficit calorie goal, in combinations that keep you satiated, and you will lose weight. If you want to be healthy, as most of us do, also work to get solid, well-rounded nutrition.

I was a thin vegetarian, ate too much - mostly healthy, nutritious whole foods - and became a fat vegetarian, then ate even more and became an obese vegetarian. After staying an obese vegetarian for decades, including one decade where I was very active and competing as an athlete, I started eating less and became a thin vegetarian again at age 59-60. I'm now age 62, going into year 3 of maintenance as a thin vegetarian.

Through all of that, I didn't dramatically change which foods I ate. Mostly, I changed how much of them I ate, including some changes in relative proportions of different foods to balance satiation and nutrition within calorie goal.

For weight loss, it's all about calories. For health, include nutrition. It's not always easy, but it's absolutely just that simple.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, weight loss is all about calories. So eat the foods you like, at the appropriate calorie deficit for your goals, that you find keep you feeling satiated and personally satisfied, and you will lose weight. Generally, most people find that a well-rounded diet of nutritious foods with a little treat sprinkled in here and there is best for nutrition, satiety, compliance, and sanity while dieting.

I've been a ovo/lacto vegetarian for quite a few years now, but I do it because I really don't like meat. I was a Class II obese ovo/lacto vegetarian and I lost weight eating that way as well and am still playing around with a few vanity pounds.

Like Ann, I haven't changed what I eat, I've just changed how much.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Rabbit1295 wrote: »
    Heyo! Hope everyone is well :)

Something I've been wondering about. What form of diet do you think is better to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight? I'm really curious about REAL (hopefully unbiased lol) testimonials. Do you have to switch diets and commit to it for the rest of my life or what?

I personally LOVE my meat and fish. Especially ocean caught fish and organic chicken. But let me know what you guys think.

I'm been vegan since last July but have been a vegetarian since 2009. I've been able to lose weight on either diet by following the principles of CICO.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I've been a meat eater all my life - fat, thin and in-between. Eating the appropriate calories for your weight-management goals will get you the same positive results across any type of diet. If your goal is losing weight, eat foods that meet your nutrient requirements and keep you from being hungry all the time, and eat that food in appropriate amounts to hit your calorie target most of the time. Incorporate foods that you enjoy, either frequently in reduced amounts, or occasionally in larger quantities if that satisfies you more.

Eating in a way that isn't natural for you while losing weight, and then going back to eating all the foods you like will almost always result in gaining back the weight you worked so hard to lose. Don't do that to yourself :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that a caloric deficit is needed for weight loss.

I think what diet that helps you get there will vary based on your personal health situation. I have a tendency to gain weight when I eat gluten (I am a celiac). I also have metabolic issues so high carb levels tend to lead to easier weight gain for me. An animal based diet works best for me. Others will have a different experience.

I would say it is a good idea to experiment and do what works for you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've been an omnivore my whole life and have never been "technically" overweight, just the high end of the normal weight range. I lost 20 lbs and have maintained for 2 years. I ate meat and fish through the whole process. And not even organic or whatever other label you want to put on it. I eat rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and if frozen salmon is on sale, I'm not too picky I just avoid any mention of China on the bag. I eat fast food once or twice a week. I eat frozen Perdue chicken nuggets with my nephews fairly regularly.

I feel better when I eat meat. I know others who feel much better when they cut it out. Neither is better or worse for weight loss for everyone. The diet that keeps you satiated at the right calorie level is the best, and that will be different for different people.

As others have already said, eating one way to lose weight and then going back to a different way of eating often doesn't work, and it's probably one of the main reasons so many people struggle with maintenance. Find a way to eat at the right calorie level for the rest of your life - a lower amount to lose the weight and then a little more to maintain.
  • Rabbit1295
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. However, I wasn't what I was expecting. Basically "just watch your calories". My response is "oh really? I had absolutely nooooooo idea" (if you didn't catch it, sarcasm is laced into that response lol) but anways, I was looking for more of a discussion weighing pros and cons to each diet type.

I'm 22 years old and I absolutely HATE counting calories. That's why I downloaded this app. Personally, in the past when I counted calories on my own I was doing it entirely wrong. I ended up eating WAY more than I should but I was able to work it off in the gym and went from 130 lbs to 97lbs and had very toned muscles. Fast forward 4 years and 3 of those years being in a deep depression and garbage birth control pills (maybe some of you ladies know what I'm talking about), I was a fat couch potato that really didn't eat much. I was having one meal a day and going 2-3 days without eating a thing. My meal consisted of some sort of meat, salad or canned vegetables, with wild rice or whole grain or protein pasta. I think that's a pretty balanced meal. And no, never had seconds or thirds. One thing I've become very good at is making just enough to fill one plate. My problem is/was I was just lazy and didn't have any motivation nor interest anymore. I'm just starting to get myself back. I currently wiegh 198lbs (as of an hour ago).

Anyways, yea..again thank you all for replying. Have an amazing night and stay warm this weekend if you're expecting extremely cold temperatures like I am (sooooooooo notlooking forward to it lol)
  • Rabbit1295
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I feel like the responses did answer that question, but... oh, well.

The pros and cons will be different for different people. You need to find the right way for YOU to eat - what fills you up, what tastes good to you, what gives you energy, what weighs you down, what is practical for your lifestyle, what fits with your ethics and priorities. No one can answer that for you. Sounds like bad news, but the good news is you don't have to eat food you don't like to lose weight or be healthy.

A lot of MFP veterans replied to your posts - people who have already lost their weight and are maintaining successfully. And we all have different ideals, activity levels, and lifestyles and all eat pretty different diets.

It's not really a question that I'm asking. I was only curious what people had to say. Especially when you read online and some sites say "go vegan for a healthier lifestyle!" or "why meat is destroying our bodies!" etc. I live in an area where people are vocal about what form of diet or rather lifestyle is better than the rest. (and they get very defensive as well...) I don't know. Was just looking as just trying to make conversation is all. I will always eat meat. I'm just very conscious about where my food comes from. I try to support the local farmers.

Btw..I'm probably going to sound extremely stupid for asking this but..what does MFP stand for?
  • Rabbit1295
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal

And the best thing you can do for your weight loss and your health is stop listening to all those sites, articles, blogs, etc. They try to make it complicated so you stay in the lose/gain cycle and continue to hopefully buy stuff or info so they can make $$$ :tongue:

Sometimes the hardest thing to accept is how simple it is. Not necessarily easy, mind you, but it really is simple. Learning to shut off all that noise is what made the difference for me.

Yep, definitely was a stupid question. Lol

I really don't listen to them too much. Especially when they try to sell something. Like I said, was just mainly curious :)
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal

And the best thing you can do for your weight loss and your health is stop listening to all those sites, articles, blogs, etc. They try to make it complicated so you stay in the lose/gain cycle and continue to hopefully buy stuff or info so they can make $$$ :tongue:

Sometimes the hardest thing to accept is how simple it is. Not necessarily easy, mind you, but it really is simple. Learning to shut off all that noise is what made the difference for me.

Yep, definitely was a stupid question. Lol

I really don't listen to them too much. Especially when they try to sell something. Like I said, was just mainly curious :)

Don't feel bad for asking! It's definitely still interesting. You might find, for example, that certain macros keep you fuller than others, so there's usually some kind of logic in how people define their diets here...it'll just come down to what your individual goals are, and works best for your bod, within the realm of calorie counting. :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I feel like the responses did answer that question, but... oh, well.

The pros and cons will be different for different people. You need to find the right way for YOU to eat - what fills you up, what tastes good to you, what gives you energy, what weighs you down, what is practical for your lifestyle, what fits with your ethics and priorities. No one can answer that for you. Sounds like bad news, but the good news is you don't have to eat food you don't like to lose weight or be healthy.

A lot of MFP veterans replied to your posts - people who have already lost their weight and are maintaining successfully. And we all have different ideals, activity levels, and lifestyles and all eat pretty different diets.

It's not really a question that I'm asking. I was only curious what people had to say. Especially when you read online and some sites say "go vegan for a healthier lifestyle!" or "why meat is destroying our bodies!" etc. I live in an area where people are vocal about what form of diet or rather lifestyle is better than the rest. (and they get very defensive as well...) I don't know. Was just looking as just trying to make conversation is all. I will always eat meat. I'm just very conscious about where my food comes from. I try to support the local farmers.

Btw..I'm probably going to sound extremely stupid for asking this but..what does MFP stand for?

A lot of media attention is given to the idea that it's *what* and how you eat that are really, really super important, when really, they aren't.

Calories are the super important thing, only they can be drudgery to monitor, and that seems to be the case for you, but then again, the app might make it easier.

The best diet is going to be the one you can stick to that will get you to a normal weight. An optimal diet will have you eating lean protein, vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains, tubers, beans, fruits and some treats every now and then in whatever proportions keep you feeling most satisfied. The ratios which are best in terms of carbs/fats/protein will vary from individual to individual.

There really isn't one "best" or "healthiest" diet. There's only what's best for you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Some adherents to every different diet/way of eating/whatever will lay claims that theirs is the "best" or "healthiest". Veg*ans, keto, paleo, "clean" eaters, IIFYM'ers, Mediterranean dieters, etc. Some seem to have more of a religious-type fervor than others (speaking in generalities, not painting every person with a broad brush), but obviously most people want to think that what they're doing is the "best" for them - whether they're right or wrong.

As a few have already said above, IMO the "best" diet is the one you can most easily adhere to and that will provide you the most satiety. That will make it the easiest to lose and maintain weight because consistency and perseverance is what brings results. A reasonable diet that has you sticking to your calorie/nutrient goals 90% of the time will bring much better results than an overly restrictive diet that you can only stick to 60% of the time.