Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vegetarian vs. Vegan vs. Eating meat..to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    For me, I HAVE to have meat. Without meat, I am ravenous and end up eating way too many calories to feel satisfied. (around 3000)
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP: For me, it's not a diet at all. I lost 70% of my overall weight loss to date (circa 30+ lbs) whilst eating meat. I then cycled between Pescatarian. Vegan, and Vegetarian. The amount I ate was the defining factor, not that I was a meat eater or not. So it always boiled down to calories in, calories out, irrespective if I ate meat or not. Good luck on your journey.

OP - this pretty much sums it up for me (80 pounds lost) except I am the omnivore that cycles between counting calories (the majority of the time), keto (sometimes), low fat/high carb (sometimes) because - pasta :-), and borderline vegetarian (sometimes). This allows me to consume pretty much anything my heart desires with the only catch being making sure my CO>=CI. The variety keeps me interested and going strong.

I have been doing this a long time, been in maintenance a long time, and no longer log anything except weight loss/gain.

Also - I modify my diet (fuel) for a week or so prior to whatever endurance event I am entering (running, cycling, Sprint-Tri, etc.)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Rabbit1295 wrote: »
    Heyo! Hope everyone is well :)

Something I've been wondering about. What form of diet do you think is better to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight? I'm really curious about REAL (hopefully unbiased lol) testimonials. Do you have to switch diets and commit to it for the rest of my life or what?

I personally LOVE my meat and fish. Especially ocean caught fish and organic chicken. But let me know what you guys think.

The best diet is the one that you enjoy and makes it easier for you to be on a caloric deficit. Your mindset is wrong, no diet will cause you weight loss directly...A caloric deficit does. Once you know that, you simply pick a diet that will make you less miserable in your fat loss journey. A diet is only a tool, but a lot of people treat it bigger than it is.
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can eat an awful lot of vegetables for very little calories.

It does obviously depend upon how you eat them, make a thick butter sauce or drench them in a gallon of olive oil and the benefit is reduced.

I find it a lot easier to stick to fairly strict calorie allowances when I am just eating plants.

I love meat and fish, but I tend to keep them for treats and eat once or twice a week. Being a lot more conscious about the quality of my meat and fish.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The type of food you consume is irrelevant for weight loss. Its all about calories and burning more than you consume. The most important thing is making choices that are easy for you to sustain for long periods of time. A "diet" will get you short term temporary results but a "lifestyle" will stick with you. Find a balance with your diet and fitness that fits your lifestyle. Everyone can't have 10% body fat and be shredded due to genetics or life. Everyone can give you pros and cons for any diet or workout and try to sway you into their way of life. It may work great for them but you may not achieve the same results. There isn't a one size fits all diet or workout routine so try them all and see what fits. Best of luck in whatever you choose.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Up until 6 months ago I was a confirmed meat eater and I lost 142lb while eating meat. Then around 6 months ago I transitioned to vegetarian (after discovering that my ibs was very much improved by not eating meat) and have maintained that loss. It's still all about energy balance though, I make sure I eat around the same amount as I burn (coming to the end of marathon training so I burn a lot). So for me I feel better and have more energy eating veggie (also lactose intolerant although I can eat cheese I can't drink more than a very small amount of cow milk or eat dairy ice cream or yoghurt without discomfort), but I do have to take care than I eat enough and get a good balance of macros along with some of the vitamins and minerals.
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation. I Stopped eating meat in Sept 2017 (i went vegan over night literally) and Ive been vegan and Ive lost a total of 20lbs. TO be honest, i find it easier to stick with, and its easier to hold myself accountable. I mean when people bring cookies or other junk into my work I always ask someone else to eat one for me. but My twin is a meat eater and is trying to do a no carb, sugar etc (which she had success with in the past). it all depends on what you are willing to sacrifice, etc. its a give and take honestly.