Just ate a whole bar of chocolate

123578

Replies

  • rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 41 Member

    angelsja wrote: »
    Yes iam stressing i know I can keep the weight off once it's off as I know where I went wrong the last time I just have no bloody will power I was talking to a friend the other day saying how this chocolate says a serving size is 2 squares and who eats 2 squares and puts it back she was like I do that I wish I could do that or she was saying how she couldn't finish her tinned rice pudding she ate half last time and was still hungry but couldn't eat a whole tin why the f*** am I so greedy like I could easily eat a whole pizza but she can only eat half a one and she is around the same height & weight as me :(

    Totally relate to how you feel. I have the same challenge when it comes to my friends who eat healthier, other times I am that person with two squares. I work as a cashier in a grocery store in the evenings. After 7:30 pm a third of my shoppers are buying junk food. While they range in all sizes, many more appear to be in the more reasonable size. I am jealous. How do they do it? My biggest challenge was not the type of food (don't get me wrong I was not an angel), but food portions. I see these people on a regular basis buying this stuff. It frustrates me that they can appear to get away with it, while I diligently log in that banana I ate late last night, noting that I went over my daily limit.

  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    I have to know, how many calories are in the chocolate? And how many calories are in your tea?

    Also, now I want some tea.

    I would assume OP means "tea" in the regional British and Irish sense of "evening meal", not just a particularly lardy cuppa.

    OP, the thing about eating tea, even if it puts you over your goal, is this: the mistake is already made. Skipping tea will not undo the mistake, it will just make another mistake of disrupting your normal eating schedule and making yourself sad and hungry and, deep down, resentful. You have to accept the mistake and move on.

    A takeaway is fine, just do some research in advance, choose something not too calorific, don't eat the whole portion (put half on a plate and half in the fridge for tomorrow) and don't go mad on the side dishes. There's a world of difference between a half portion of chicken cashew nut with a half portion of fried rice and 5 prawn crackers, versus the Hungry Dragon Lard-Bottom Sharing Banquet for 5.

    We all have days where the wheels come off, you just need to not lose your head and keep trying. You'll get there in the end.


    Lmao. You are right. I had to look it up. Having been to England numerous times, and having enjoyed high tea in England, Hong Kong, and here locally, I’ve never heard of it referred to as dinner. But apparently along the working class in certain areas, that’s the slang. Probably not useful on this mostly US board, but whatever.

    I did start craving tea though. Op, thanks. I enjoyed my darjeeling tea with cream this afternoon thanks to you.

    So if you're English and say 'tea' to refer to a meal time you're working class...

    :huh: :noway:

    Wasn’t my words. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Wikipedia.

    And for everyone getting their panties in a bunch... I know everyone here is not from the US. But the majority are. And I’ve never heard of tea used to denote supper. So geez, excuse me. I thought she was either referring to high tea or simply regular tea. Or even sweet tea. I didn’t know.

    Oh, and yes I like milk in my darjeeling tea. Always have and always will. Too kitten bad!!!!

    I'm from the US and have heard it many times. In books, movies, etc.

    Me too.

    And if you are used to using a particular colloquialism, you may not realize it won't be generally understood.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,582 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    I have to know, how many calories are in the chocolate? And how many calories are in your tea?

    Also, now I want some tea.

    I would assume OP means "tea" in the regional British and Irish sense of "evening meal", not just a particularly lardy cuppa.

    OP, the thing about eating tea, even if it puts you over your goal, is this: the mistake is already made. Skipping tea will not undo the mistake, it will just make another mistake of disrupting your normal eating schedule and making yourself sad and hungry and, deep down, resentful. You have to accept the mistake and move on.

    A takeaway is fine, just do some research in advance, choose something not too calorific, don't eat the whole portion (put half on a plate and half in the fridge for tomorrow) and don't go mad on the side dishes. There's a world of difference between a half portion of chicken cashew nut with a half portion of fried rice and 5 prawn crackers, versus the Hungry Dragon Lard-Bottom Sharing Banquet for 5.

    We all have days where the wheels come off, you just need to not lose your head and keep trying. You'll get there in the end.


    Lmao. You are right. I had to look it up. Having been to England numerous times, and having enjoyed high tea in England, Hong Kong, and here locally, I’ve never heard of it referred to as dinner. But apparently along the working class in certain areas, that’s the slang. Probably not useful on this mostly US board, but whatever.

    I did start craving tea though. Op, thanks. I enjoyed my darjeeling tea with cream this afternoon thanks to you.

    So if you're English and say 'tea' to refer to a meal time you're working class...

    :huh: :noway:

    Wasn’t my words. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Wikipedia.

    And for everyone getting their panties in a bunch... I know everyone here is not from the US. But the majority are. And I’ve never heard of tea used to denote supper. So geez, excuse me. I thought she was either referring to high tea or simply regular tea. Or even sweet tea. I didn’t know.

    Oh, and yes I like milk in my darjeeling tea. Always have and always will. Too kitten bad!!!!

    I'm from the US and have heard it many times. In books, movies, etc.

    Me too.

    And if you are used to using a particular colloquialism, you may not realize it won't be generally understood.

    True true.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    I'm in the breakfast > lunch > dinner camp. And to be fair, those Oreo chocolate bars are made by the devil, they're just so damn good.
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    When I screw up and over eat, or drink to much beer, I just try to counteract it. On YouTube go do a 15 minute Walk Away the Pounds video. It’s easy and helps burn that candy bar to balance things out!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I guess technically it is true but it's actually more about being regional. Some would call it supper in some areas. Dinner could refer to lunch in others. Britain has a very diverse range of local dialects.

    Yeah, I grew up fairly working class (or "low middle class" at a push) in SE England. We had breakfast, dinner and tea, and sometimes "supper" was a late-evening snack. I knew of "high tea" as an afternoon snack of tea (the beverage) and little sandwiches and cakes, generally taken in posh hotels or by the children of high-class families. I was a teenager before I learned that some people called my dinner "lunch", and that my tea could be either "dinner" or "supper".

    These days, and prompted in part by my emigration to Canada, I use "lunch" for the midday meal. The evening meal tends to be "supper" if eaten at home or a friend's house, since that's what most of the people I know in this part of Canada call it, and "dinner" if going out to eat at a restaurant, since that sounds more fancy!

    My husband will sometimes still ask "what's for tea?", meaning what are we having for the evening meal, but we don't tend to use the word for anything other than the hot beverage outside our family because we know other people won't get what we mean.

    Also, cream in tea is yuck. I know several people who drink it that way, and I did try it, but it's awful to me! I'd rather drink my tea black if there's no milk.

    Back on topic, though - OP, you've been given a lot of good advice here, so please try to take it. It sounds to me like you should set your activity level as "lightly active" and aim for 1/2lb per week as a rate of loss. Add in a conservative estimate of calories burned for your additional purposeful exercise (going to the gym etc., not walking to/from school), and eat back at least half of those additional calories. Monitor your weight for at least 4-6 weeks before panicking that it's not working, and adjust your calorie allowance up or down a little after that time if you're losing more or less than expected.

    Please understand that you most likely will not lose at a consistent rate from week to week, so monitoring the trend over time is very important. Also, take photos and measurements regularly for comparison. Sometimes the camera or the tape will show us what the scale doesn't.

    Try to have patience, and try to understand that no one is perfect. We're all human, and we all slip up now and again. You'll be okay.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    I may, or may not, have had a large chocolate bar for dinner on more than one occasion, whilst still losing weight.

    #sorrynotsorry

    ^This.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    I have to know, how many calories are in the chocolate? And how many calories are in your tea?

    Also, now I want some tea.

    I would assume OP means "tea" in the regional British and Irish sense of "evening meal", not just a particularly lardy cuppa.

    OP, the thing about eating tea, even if it puts you over your goal, is this: the mistake is already made. Skipping tea will not undo the mistake, it will just make another mistake of disrupting your normal eating schedule and making yourself sad and hungry and, deep down, resentful. You have to accept the mistake and move on.

    A takeaway is fine, just do some research in advance, choose something not too calorific, don't eat the whole portion (put half on a plate and half in the fridge for tomorrow) and don't go mad on the side dishes. There's a world of difference between a half portion of chicken cashew nut with a half portion of fried rice and 5 prawn crackers, versus the Hungry Dragon Lard-Bottom Sharing Banquet for 5.

    We all have days where the wheels come off, you just need to not lose your head and keep trying. You'll get there in the end.


    Lmao. You are right. I had to look it up. Having been to England numerous times, and having enjoyed high tea in England, Hong Kong, and here locally, I’ve never heard of it referred to as dinner. But apparently along the working class in certain areas, that’s the slang. Probably not useful on this mostly US board, but whatever.

    I did start craving tea though. Op, thanks. I enjoyed my darjeeling tea with cream this afternoon thanks to you.

    So if you're English and say 'tea' to refer to a meal time you're working class...

    :huh: :noway:

    Yep, it's the same here in Australia, us Ruffians call dinner "tea", and the uppercrusts call it dinner. I use dinner on here because it's a US site, and most everyone knows what it means.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    What is TDEE?
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    slossia wrote: »
    What is TDEE?

    total daily energy expenditure i.e. calories burned from your basal metabolic rate + calories burned from your normal daily activity
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    slossia wrote: »
    What is TDEE?

    total daily energy expenditure i.e. calories burned from your basal metabolic rate + calories burned from your normal daily activity

    And exercise is included in the number too, as an average across the week.

    MFP uses the NEAT method where purposeful exercise is added on top of the calories it sets you.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    Yes iam stressing i know I can keep the weight off once it's off as I know where I went wrong the last time I just have no bloody will power I was talking to a friend the other day saying how this chocolate says a serving size is 2 squares and who eats 2 squares and puts it back she was like I do that I wish I could do that or she was saying how she couldn't finish her tinned rice pudding she ate half last time and was still hungry but couldn't eat a whole tin why the f*** am I so greedy like I could easily eat a whole pizza but she can only eat half a one and she is around the same height & weight as me :(

    I have recently learned that I am an "all or nothing" person when it comes to food. I cant allow myself any treats or things because I can't stop at just one serving. I either eat a whole large pizza or none at all, etc. Sucks but just how some of us are wired.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,945 Member
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    I have to know, how many calories are in the chocolate? And how many calories are in your tea?

    Also, now I want some tea.

    I would assume OP means "tea" in the regional British and Irish sense of "evening meal", not just a particularly lardy cuppa.

    OP, the thing about eating tea, even if it puts you over your goal, is this: the mistake is already made. Skipping tea will not undo the mistake, it will just make another mistake of disrupting your normal eating schedule and making yourself sad and hungry and, deep down, resentful. You have to accept the mistake and move on.

    A takeaway is fine, just do some research in advance, choose something not too calorific, don't eat the whole portion (put half on a plate and half in the fridge for tomorrow) and don't go mad on the side dishes. There's a world of difference between a half portion of chicken cashew nut with a half portion of fried rice and 5 prawn crackers, versus the Hungry Dragon Lard-Bottom Sharing Banquet for 5.

    We all have days where the wheels come off, you just need to not lose your head and keep trying. You'll get there in the end.


    Lmao. You are right. I had to look it up. Having been to England numerous times, and having enjoyed high tea in England, Hong Kong, and here locally, I’ve never heard of it referred to as dinner. But apparently along the working class in certain areas, that’s the slang. Probably not useful on this mostly US board, but whatever.

    I did start craving tea though. Op, thanks. I enjoyed my darjeeling tea with cream this afternoon thanks to you.

    So if you're English and say 'tea' to refer to a meal time you're working class...

    :huh: :noway:

    Yep, it's the same here in Australia, us Ruffians call dinner "tea", and the uppercrusts call it dinner. I use dinner on here because it's a US site, and most everyone knows what it means.

    I use them interchangably, and don't even notice I do it. It would never occur to me to define it when using it - in fact I'd actually feel I was being patronising if I did so.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Woops my f*** it day added upto over 8k calories + the 4k on Saturday got some serious making up to do now doh!
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Op, have you considered maybe seeing a registered dietician ?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Op, have you considered maybe seeing a registered dietician ?

    Maybe if I had money to burn but I don't I had my gym instructor who is also a dietitian take a look through my diary pre binge and she said it looked fine I know where I'm going wrong but getting out is hard to do