Don't lose too much

Options
I hear this a lot from my parents who come to visit on occasion. I was 350 lbs went down too 233.9 then had a few bad weeks went to 249 when I got on the scale. This morning clocked in at 242.6. I think that people are so use too seeing me so much larger that they are being kind but also concerned with my health. I explained my current weight loss is a great achievement for me but that 242 is still got me in the obese zone. I am lucky in the aspect I carry the weight pretty evenly and still have decent pecs and leg muscles. But if I were to go shirtless they would better understand the need to continue my journey. Just was wondering if anyone else was told this while knowing you still have around 40-50 yet too lose. My mom says when my dad is below 220 his facial features get sunken in and it looks bad. I try and remind her he is in his 70's and I am only hitting 42 in March. I just kinda smile and reassure them that I am under a doctor's care and unlike the past I am not rushing the weight loss. Hope everyone has a great Sunday

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have family say this to me as well, despite the fact that I am still probably 25 lbs overweight. I think because certain diseases are associated with significant weight loss, people get concerned when they see someone drop 40+ lbs in less than a year, which is my situation.

If you are eating healthy, and staying in the 1-2 lb loss per week range, you're fine.

Good luck on your journey.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    What’s your age sex height and activity as 242 sounds high ?

I am five ten started at 350 about a year ago age is 41. Activity level is a lot more since the weight of 350 cardio three times a week. Strength training twice, and the best enjoying more time with the kids doing outdoor activities.

242 is high I want to be between 190 and 200.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I am five ten started at 350 about a year ago age is 41. Activity level is a lot more since the weight of 350 cardio three times a week. Strength training twice, and the best enjoying more time with the kids doing outdoor activities.

Over 100 lbs in a year is quite an accomplishment. Stay focused and you will be at your goal before you know it!
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My standard response is, "I am aiming for a healthy weight that my doctor recommends." That usually stops the comments.

Not with my parents... LoL
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I think for those of us that have een somewhat or a lot overweight most of their lives have heard this in various forms As you say they are not used to seeing you at a healthy weight. Their perception of what you like as normal is skewed.

I have had it too, but I draw the line at; "you should stop loosing now this is unhealthy" type comments. They get the "I'll be the judge of when it is is enough. I am aiming for a healthy BMI and know what I am doing". Those comments started when I was still in the overweight category! IMO people as so used to overweight people that it is hard to recognise normal weight
  • JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It’s out of concern for you, but given how much people don’t understand weight loss, BMI, etc. it is understandable they don’t want you “wasting away”. Doesn’t make it any less aggravating. :wink:
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Let's them know at 242 you won't be wasting away anytime soon, but continuing to lose weight will only make you healthier, stronger, and live longer.

Let them know if they love you they will support you, and stop making those remarks.

Good luck!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Congrats on your loss so far. You seem to be going about your business in the right way and 190/200 sounds like a very reasonable long term goal.

As to the family, just listen, smile and keep doing what you're doing. You are on the right path. Best of luck.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Sadly (imo), no one's ever said I lost too much.

They will, keep going.. my step daughter still calls me fattie after dropping over 100 lbs.. lol but she has had a office job for six months and her spread is getting bigger.. lol

Unless I drop to 100#, no one's going to say I'm wasting away. Even then, they probably won't care.