Getting enough protein

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    protein intake has increased because research has shown that for lower caloric intake (12-1500 cal a day0 - that higher protein helps sustain muscle mass

Yes, but some of what I'm seeing in this thread is well beyond what's actually needed for that. 150+ grams of protein for someone who has ~100-115 lbs of LBM is overkill IMO.

Was anyone suggesting that people in general should aim for 1.5 g per lb of LBM (which is what you are talking about)? Or did someone just said they ate that much, which is different.

Your post suggests something that I think was NOT recommended in the thread and thus is misleading.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    protein intake has increased because research has shown that for lower caloric intake (12-1500 cal a day0 - that higher protein helps sustain muscle mass
    Yes, but some of what I'm seeing in this thread is well beyond what's actually needed for that. 150+ grams of protein for someone who has ~100-115 lbs of LBM is overkill IMO.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread suggestion that....but at the same time different people find different macros satiating - I'm 155lbs, I do 130-140g of protein a day (with an avg intake of 2600cal) - because I am recomping and it helps
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Was anyone suggesting that people in general should aim for 1.5 g per lb of LBM (which is what you are talking about)? Or did someone just said they ate that much, which is different.

Your post suggests something that I think was NOT recommended in the thread and thus is misleading.
    Some in this thread are saying that they eat that amount. In that situation, my response was more so in agreement to this post:
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I can barely maje it it to 20% protein
    It is unclear why proteins intake increased so much in the last decades. I call it a fashion.

There's nothing scientifically to justify why anyone would need anywhere near the protein amounts some in this thread are eating. I do understand that many here are doing it for the satiating effects, which I agree is more "fashionable" to just pile on a huge amount more for that purpose. I think it's reasonable to assume that a few decades it would have been unheard of for any non-athlete with ~100-115 lbs of LBM to be eating 150+ grams of protein in a day. Even 125+ grams of protein for someone of this size would have been unusual.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    125g for someone with LBM of 115lbs is within the 1-1.2g/lb of LBM (1.08 to be exact)
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Some in this thread are saying that they eat that amount. In that situation, my response was more so in agreement to this post:
    It is unclear why proteins intake increased so much in the last decades. I call it a fashion.

There's nothing scientifically to justify why anyone would need anywhere near the protein amounts some in this thread are eating. I do understand that many here are doing it for the satiating effects, which I agree is more "fashionable" to just pile on a huge amount more for that purpose. I think it's reasonable to assume that a few decades it would have been unheard of for any non-athlete with ~100-115 lbs of LBM to be eating 150+ grams of protein in a day. Even 125+ grams of protein for someone of this size would have been unusual.

I was alive and adult a few decades ago. People ate lots of protein.

Post-WW2, with the rise of the mass middle class, growth of large-scale agriculture, and most people still eating mostly home prepared meals, meat tended to be the centerpiece of meals. Most of the adults had been alive for the restrictions of the war years, some had been adults and in straitened circumstances during the depression. Meat was a treat, a luxury, and they could afford it.

IME, almost anyone who could afford it ate lots of meat, fish, eggs, dairy and other protein sources. At lower economic strata, in my personal milieu, they ate more meat and such that they raised, fished or hunted; or more ground beef and less steak; but they still ate beaucoup meat, fish, eggs and dairy.

They weren't counting protein grams, but they were eating plenty. Partly, this was just pleasure and luxury. Partly, it was prestige - i.e. fashion, just like the moderns. You wouldn't invite someone to dinner and not serve Big Protein. Even ladies' luncheons had shrimp cocktail or chicken salad or some such thing.

Common: Bacon and egg breakfast, baloney & cheese sandwich for lunch, pork chops or burgers or even steak for dinner, potatoes and a few veg on the side. A lot more milk being drunk (real milk products in coffee, not "creamers").

Personally, I think that a broad sweep of history and culture suggests that when protein is easily available, there's a likelihood that people will eat a good-ish lot of it. Where they don't, there are historical and cultural reasons.

And I say this as as vegetarian. ;)
    Ok, understood.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So to be clear, eating high protein because someone likes to for some reason (personal taste, satiety) is not the same thing as pushing that that much is necessary. I currently eat around 50 percent carbs, but saying that doesn’t mean I think there is a scientific basis to claim that much is necessary—see the difference?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

So to be clear, eating high protein because someone likes to for some reason (personal taste, satiety) is not the same thing as pushing that that much is necessary. I currently eat around 50 percent carbs, but saying that doesn’t mean I think there is a scientific basis to claim that much is necessary—see the difference?
    Yes, I agree with that.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I was going to say- what's wrong with eating that much protein because you like it and it makes you full?

There is little "scientifically that justifies"- but it is tasty.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get all my protein in also but these posts are helpful!