Low carb vs Ketogenic. CICO?

I did ketogenic in the past but it was too restrictive for me since I am a vegetarian. I gained back some of the weight I lost when I fell off wagon.
I started again recently but this time around, I am not OCD about it. I ea mostly low carb high fat foods because of the satiety. It's easier to create calorie deficit eating this way. And once a week, when I visit my family, I eat what they cook. Though I'm always within my calorie limit.
My question is would I lose weight by this? Is weight loss really as simple as Calories in Calories out irrespective of whatever macro dominates my diet?

Replies

• RubinaKochar
    RubinaKochar Posts: 43 Member
    @estherdragonbat. Thanks a lot for your response. :)
  • msuez
    msuez Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Rubina,

I currently follow a lower carb diet. But implement carbs immediately post work out (pending on your needs, can be between 25g - 50g) since I do weight training and cardio. Besides that, the only carbs I consume during the day are in the form of veggies and fruit. This seems to work for me. I'm down about 60 lbs so far.

-Michelle
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Why do you feel that you have to manipulate carbs at all? Fat loss is all about calorie deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm curious why you think you would not lose weight doing it that way.

I think low carb/keto can be helpful if one finds it makes a difference with satiety or makes things easier (sometimes just because you get to feel like you are eating in an indulgent way still, even when cutting calories). But not everyone does, and if you don't there's no weight loss benefit.

I would find very low carb hard as a vegetarian (and probably get tired of the amount of eggs and dairy I was consuming), but some might find it helpful. For me, not worrying about carb numbers but focusing on eating foods I find satiating and pleasurable and nutrient-dense would be a better approach, as well as calories, of course. If that means carbs in up at 20%, great, if it means they end up at 55%, great -- it's having a satisfying and enjoyable overall diet that hits my nutrient goals (like micros, protein) that matters to me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Why do you feel that you have to manipulate carbs at all? Fat loss is all about calorie deficit.

It's easier for me to feel full on higher fat diet and helps me create a deficit. Since I have to cut somewhere to accommodate higher fats and I can't compromise proteins, therefore lower carb.

Ah, that makes sense.
  • RubinaKochar
    Keto can be dangerous if not done correctly, alsoy friend who does keto,has metabolic weakness. And insulin resistance so she gains on all carbs. Not everyone needs to be on keto... Is there a health reason for choosin keto?

No. No particular reason. It's easier to create deficit on low carb, high fat is all.
  • RubinaKochar
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think low carb/keto can be helpful if one finds it makes a difference with satiety or makes things easier (sometimes just because you get to feel like you are eating in an indulgent way still, even when cutting calories). But not everyone does, and if you don't there's no weight loss benefit.

I would find very low carb hard as a vegetarian (and probably get tired of the amount of eggs and dairy I was consuming), but some might find it helpful. For me, not worrying about carb numbers but focusing on eating foods I find satiating and pleasurable and nutrient-dense would be a better approach, as well as calories, of course. If that means carbs in up at 20%, great, if it means they end up at 55%, great -- it's having a satisfying and enjoyable overall diet that hits my nutrient goals (like micros, protein) that matters to me.

I agree to all you said. I think the main problem is that I'm feeling better creating a deficit on low carb high fat. When I was trying everything in moderation, I was eating my fingertips off. Maybe I'll learn a better, less "diet-oriented" path along the way, but for now this seems doable.
  • RubinaKochar
    toxikon wrote: »
    All you need to do is eat at a calorie deficit!

I did keto for about a year and lost about 20lbs (160lbs to 140lbs at 5'7"). I ended up finding it too restrictive and quitting, then regaining the weight... since it did not teach me to eat in a sustainable way and demonized carbs, making me crave them even more.

Now I'm losing weight again with just calorie counting. I'm down to 145lbs, so getting very close to my last low-weight with keto.

I eat plenty of fast food, sugary desserts, pasta, rice... and I'm still losing weight at a good pace. And it's sustainable! The key is just accurate logging.

Thank you. This does take out a lot of anxiety.
  • RubinaKochar
    msuez wrote: »
    Hi Rubina,

I currently follow a lower carb diet. But implement carbs immediately post work out (pending on your needs, can be between 25g - 50g) since I do weight training and cardio. Besides that, the only carbs I consume during the day are in the form of veggies and fruit. This seems to work for me. I'm down about 60 lbs so far.

-Michelle

Oh wow. Congratulations. I think it boils down to CICO then? I hope to lose these 20ish lbs some day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Hi Rubina,

-Michelle

Oh wow. Congratulations. I think it boils down to CICO then? I hope to lose these 20ish lbs some day.

It always boils down to CICO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I did ketogenic in the past but it was too restrictive for me since I am a vegetarian. I gained back some of the weight I lost when I fell off wagon.
    I started again recently but this time around, I am not OCD about it. I ea mostly low carb high fat foods because of the satiety. It's easier to create calorie deficit eating this way. And once a week, when I visit my family, I eat what they cook. Though I'm always within my calorie limit.
    My question is would I lose weight by this? Is weight loss really as simple as Calories in Calories out irrespective of whatever macro dominates my diet?

Yes...a calorie is just a unit of energy...all of us require XXXX amount of energy to maintain the status quot. When we consume more energy than we require, that surplus is stored as body fat...stored energy...basically your backup generator.

When you consume less energy than your body requires, you are in an energy deficit...that deficit has to be made up for...so your backup generator kicks on and your burn stored energy...ie body fat.

• RubinaKochar
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hi Rubina,

-Michelle

It always boils down to CICO.

Thanks. :)
  • RubinaKochar
    Yes in the long term it really is down to calories in/calories out, check out the success boards, people have lost with moderate carb/low catrb/high carb, working out/doing no exercise at all it's all down to what works for you.

I personally eat around 200-250g of carbs and lose just fine.

mr24sq7jed2s.jpg

This is very helpful. Thanks a ton. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I agree to all you said. I think the main problem is that I'm feeling better creating a deficit on low carb high fat. When I was trying everything in moderation, I was eating my fingertips off. Maybe I'll learn a better, less "diet-oriented" path along the way, but for now this seems doable.

You may find that you naturally end up lower carb but higher than keto. I'd try focusing on calories and protein and let fat and carbs fall where they do (which may well mean more fat fewer carbs if fat is what satiates you -- when you find that some foods are more satiating pay attention to that.

Which actually sounds exactly like what you described in the first post, so my short answer is yes, you will lose weight doing that, if the calories are on point! ;-)
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Just to further what others have said, Low carb diets come with one caveat that they always leave out. The moment you start eating a normal amount of carbs again you WILL gain water/glycogen weight back that left from the start of the low carb diet. It is NOT a permanent loss unless you plan on never having a normal amount of carbs again. It is also not stored fat which is what you are trying to lose.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

OP already addressed that directly:

"I eat mostly low carb high fat foods because of the satiety"