Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natural is Healthy Fallacy

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
There’s an editorial in today’s local paper regarding the public speaking career of a man convicted in the death of his toddler son, from very treatable Meningitis.

After social media outcry, his two speaking engagements at a health expo have been cancelled. The promoter had never checked his background.

Extending this to healthy eating, how far do you go to confirm extraordinary claims before you buy?

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/paula-simons-the-wellness-game-isnt-medicine-its-show-biz

I wonder sometimes if our ultra safe society helped cause this complacency. After all, there are rules these days. Snake oil salesmen aren’t putting cocaine or arsenic in their products any more. At least I hope they aren’t. The worst that can happen is that shills end up buying expensive sugar pills.

Unless we get extreme examples like this strange man. He’s dangerous. Does he deserve a platform for his version of reality?

Replies

• TEQWAR
    TEQWAR Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail for all woo-proponents.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I guess this topic is not as controversial as I thought?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There’s an editorial in today’s local paper regarding the public speaking career of a man convicted in the death of his toddler son, from very treatable Meningitis.

After social media outcry, his two speaking engagements at a health expo have been cancelled. The promoter had never checked his background.

Extending this to healthy eating, how far do you go to confirm extraordinary claims before you buy?

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/paula-simons-the-wellness-game-isnt-medicine-its-show-biz

I wonder sometimes if our ultra safe society helped cause this complacency. After all, there are rules these days. Snake oil salesmen aren’t putting cocaine or arsenic in their products any more. At least I hope they aren’t. The worst that can happen is that shills end up buying expensive sugar pills.

Unless we get extreme examples like this strange man. He’s dangerous. Does he deserve a platform for his version of reality?

No. He doesn't.

There is validity in having different and at times controversial ideas/opinions. Our society would be much less rich without that. But I draw the line when people's lives (children who can't protect themselves especially) are being put at risk.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I am pretty sure this father is incapable of absorbing the facts of his son’s death. I’m even angrier at the expo organizer for not back checking his speakers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I can't think of anything of this nature that I've bought. If it's a food that is porported to be healthy I might try it if it sounds good. I probably wouldn't do much research if it was something commonly eaten since obviously it's generally safe to eat and I like trying new foods. But I wouldn't continue to eat it if I didn't like it.

If it were a supplement I'd be unlikely to research or try it. I'm not in to supplements. If I did decide to try it I would for sure research it first.

I would not say he 'deserves' a platform but I'm American and a strong believer that our 1st amendment is a great thing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I guess this topic is not as controversial as I thought?

It's early yet. Much of the US, at least, is still working on their first cup of coffee and trying to get to work where they can post more efficiently :wink:

Not to mention the male part will desperately be trying to contact the local florist because of Valentine's day. :wink:

LOL
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure this father is incapable of absorbing the facts of his son’s death. I’m even angrier at the expo organizer for not back checking his speakers.

I could forgive the father, except it seems he knows what he is selling is crap.

I can't forgive the expo organizer and, from the sounds of it, he's gonna go under from his mistake.

These "health" expos are big bucks and it's pretty clear the main point is to suck money from the gullible. So having one go under does not break my heart.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Thanks all for your contributions.

I can't think of anything of this nature that I've bought. If it's a food that is porported to be healthy I might try it if it sounds good. I probably wouldn't do much research if it was something commonly eaten since obviously it's generally safe to eat and I like trying new foods. But I wouldn't continue to eat it if I didn't like it.

If it were a supplement I'd be unlikely to research or try it. I'm not in to supplements. If I did decide to try it I would for sure research it first.

I would not say he 'deserves' a platform but I'm American and a strong believer that our 1st amendment is a great thing.

I’m Canadian with a strong history of democratic rights but no Civil War and no first amendment. I think the market needs to show restraint on how big a platform it gives to dangerous people.

About trying supplements and new foods. I love variety so I’ll try new things. I have Chia, Quinoa and buckwheat in my pantry.

I also have bacon. I bought a big bag of white sugar on sale. It will likely last me five years.

I also have Tylenol Cold.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Arsenic is all natural.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Arsenic is all natural.

And an essential nutrient :)

So is Cyanide.

Dose matters.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    • The 'health expo' (I really have trouble calling it that!) coordinator should have done his homework.
    • What happened to that poor child is tragic and preventable.
    • I do believe to a certain extent in caveat emptor. Why more people don't reasearch this *kitten* is beyond me.
    • That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them shut down :angry:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Awww kitten is love today. How cute!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Thanks all for your contributions.

I’m Canadian with a strong history of democratic rights but no Civil War and no first amendment. I think the market needs to show restraint on how big a platform it gives to dangerous people.

What/who do you mean by "the market" and what type of restraint do you mean?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    What do people call research these days? Read the top five hits in google, a Netflix documentary, and a few testimonials? No wonder people are confused.

“The market” in this case is the health food industry represented by the health expo promoter. Do appropriate background checks.

How different would it be in the US right now if there had been more rigorous background checks on the fitness of the electoral candidates?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I agree that it would wonderful and ideal if health expos (I'm not totally sure what that means tbh) did appropriate background checks. I'm just not sure how or by whom that would be regulated or enforced.

And I wonder how much difference it would make. There are so many other ways to distribute nonsense these days.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    We don’t need regulations to slap down an operation like this. Market forces and publicity will take care of it.

Here are the event organizers.

http://www.wellnessexpo.com

Do you not have expos in the US? It’s a collection of booths with vendors hawking their wares and an area set aside for speakers. The event typically spans a weekend.

I go for the swag.

Hubby and I have attended auto, camera, home and garden, wedding, agricultural and health expos.